A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vogue dress pattern V2880  (Read 15940 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

baby4brat4
« on: September 25, 2005 06:44:54 PM »

ok, i found the perfect dress for me. i am absolutely obsessed with it.

i love it so much. im gunna make it shorter though the version i want to make is on here

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V2880=x&TI=20003&page=1

the only problem is its advanced. has anyone made it before. is it hard?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would rather fail on my own terms than succeed on someone else's.
cameras4toys

"Tears are the orgasm of laughter!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005 03:27:57 PM »

To get that ruffle edging I think you need a Serger. A whole extra machine...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LRS
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005 07:21:52 AM »

I haven't made it and I couldn't find a review at www.patternreview.c om.  But this is going to be very involved. 
   - Vogue patterns are often complicated anyway and if they rate it expert, they mean that.
   - Anything with a wrap is tricky because the right and left are different and you've probably got facings on both sides. 
   - it needs to be lined.
   - it has boning.
   - fit is absolutely critical, so it will probably need pattern alterations and careful fittings.
   - There's a lot of horizontal gathering, meaning that you've got to match up pieces that are different sizes and adjust the gathering. 
   - And then there's all that ruffled edging.

It's a beautiful dress.  I've been sewing for years, and I'd only attempt it if I had loads of time, and was feeling very patient.  I suspect it will take a lot of puzzling over the instructions to figure out exactly how to do it and to get it to fit well.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005 01:27:44 PM »

I'm pretty sure you could do the ruffles without a serger.

dang. that looks like a fun pattern to attempt..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
MissMelody
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005 09:22:48 AM »

You can make that dress without a serger, you'd need to hem the ruffles with a small straight stitch and create the ruffles by using a really long straight stitch.  That said, it probably is a challenging dress to make but there's no reason why you couldn't make it if you follow the directions really closely.  If you run into problems you could always ask here or at patternreview.  And if you need more immediate help, I notice that the people who work at fabric stores are usually more than happy to help, sometimes too helpful.  I think you should go for it and take it one step at a time, give yourself plenty of time to make it and make a muslin before you cut into your good fabric.  Once you get that completed, you'll be so badass you won't even be able to stand it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baby4brat4
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005 06:28:47 PM »

i think im actually just gunna buy the pattern for now, and attempt it later. make something a little simpler for the upcomming dance. whats a muslim?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would rather fail on my own terms than succeed on someone else's.
LRS
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005 08:05:45 AM »

i whats a muslim?

A muslin is a practice garment.  They used to be made of muslin fabric, but it's best to use a fabric with a similar weight and especially similar stretch to the one you'll use for your final dress.

The muslin is to help you see what alterations you need.  You start by taking your measurements and altering the pattern.  Then cut out your muslin and sew it together.  You might ignore some details.  Instead of a facing, maybe you just turn under an edge.  Maybe you won't put in a zipper - have someone pin it on the seamline when you try it on.  Then you can see what you like and don't like about the fit.  You can mark changes on the muslin and maybe resew and refit. 

Sometimes I make a muslin out of an inexpensive, but halfway decent looking fabric.  If it comes out well, I can finishe it up and wear it.  But I've made them out of worn sheets or several non-matching fabrics. 

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005 09:31:56 PM »

whats a muslim?

Muslims are practitioners of the Islamic religion, if I'm not mistaken.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005 10:08:59 PM »

That said, it probably is a challenging dress to make but there's no reason why you couldn't make it if you follow the directions really closely.  If you run into problems you could always ask here or at patternreview.  And if you need more immediate help, I notice that the people who work at fabric stores are usually more than happy to help, sometimes too helpful.  I think you should go for it and take it one step at a time, give yourself plenty of time to make it and make a muslin before you cut into your good fabric.  Once you get that completed, you'll be so badass you won't even be able to stand it.

I have to be devil's advocate and disagree.

In my opinion, if you try to make this now, you're only going to become extremely frustrated, pissed off, and want to fling both the fabric and your sewing machine off the farther end of the earth. 

I'm still a beginning sewer, while my mom is extremely good.  I tried to make a pleated skirt that was way over my head (and still WAY easier than this dress), and even with Mom available to help me, I was frustrated to the point of tears.  Sewing is supposed to be an enjoyble, relaxing hobby.  Obviously, there will be times that you'll come across something you don't understand or have a hard time doing.  And certainly, you'll want to chose increasingly more difficult patterns.  But starting with this dress seems foolish.  It'd be like taking a beginning carpenter and telling them to build a house. 

I say, go ahead and buy the pattern, because someday you'll be capable of making it.  But don't try it now.  Put it away, and look at it again when you're 20. 

Just my two cents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005 08:39:40 AM »

I'll be honest-- after I saw this thread, I ran out and bought the pattern.

I'm about halfway through the dress, and I have to say.. It's not necessarily difficult to sew, there are a few things here and there that a beginner would probably need some help with.. the hardest part about it is dealing with all of the pissy little pieces. They're a pain in the ass to cut out, and there's sooo many.

Make sure you copy down all of the markings and label everything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add a Watermark in Photoshop
How to Create a Glow Text In Photoshop
How to Create Scary Effects in Photoshop
How to create 3D Text in Photoshop
How to Change Hair Color in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...