A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,239
Currently Running With Scissors:
737 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ironing  (Read 711 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blockhead24
Dabbles in all Crafts

If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2007 08:13:18 AM »

Hello, I am new to this site and am finding a lot of helpful info.  I am wanting to start getting into quilting and think I've pretty much got it figured out.  I do have one question.  Do you need to iron your seam allowance after ever piece you sew together?  Can you sew a buch together then iron?

I do know with some patterns they tell you when to iron and in what direction, but if you are free handing a quilt, what is the best way to go about it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pokeedog

Quilt, Cook, Gocco, Clothes and Home

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007 09:58:24 PM »

I sew all my pieces in a big long chain (I don't cut the thread from the machine, I just leave about 3/4" between each pieced piece, still connected). Then I cut them free from each other and iron them.

I do iron them between each piecing. So, if I sew two pieces together, I iron out that seam before I connect it to the next piece.

I hope that make sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blockhead24
Dabbles in all Crafts

If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007 10:17:01 AM »

Ok, I see what your saying!  That sounds pretty easy!  I tried sewing a few pieces together and it was ok, but the seams did end up going the same way!  I think I will try your suggestion next time!  Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007 01:00:53 PM »

If you have two rows of pieces that are going together, iron each piece in opposite directions - this makes the seams go together really smoothly.  If sometimes the seams go the same direction, it's not the end of the world.  I sometimes just flip them right before sewing.  I don't always sew between every sewing, depending on the look I'm going for in the final quilt.  If I want it to be super flat and accurate, then I do, but if it's a crazy quilt, a utility quilt, or osmething "wonky" then I sometimes don't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
IamSusie
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007 08:02:28 AM »

I iron at every stage.  It makes the sewing so much easier.  Be gentle with your iron and don't pull the blocks out of shape.  This can be a big problem with bias triangles. 

Iron from the top so you don't get little tucks in the seams and end up with measurements that are off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007 08:51:04 AM »

For seams you really need to PRESS not Iron.  The difference is pressing you don't move the iron around on the seam, just pick it up and put it down.  That keeps you from distorting the material.  Ironing involves moving the iron around and sometimes that can pull the material out of whack.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
ZumaGirl74
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007 09:12:17 AM »

For seams you really need to PRESS not Iron.  The difference is pressing you don't move the iron around on the seam, just pick it up and put it down.  That keeps you from distorting the material.  Ironing involves moving the iron around and sometimes that can pull the material out of whack.

I was going to point that out too.  I 'iron' but I know I'm supposed to 'press'.  Well, I iron the fabric first, but then I press the seams open.

And I do chain-peicing like the second poster describes, pin a stack of peices to be sewn, sew them one after another without cutting the thread on the sewing machine (sometimes I'll sew a bit of scrap fabric between though if my machine is acting up).  Then I snip apart the chain, and press open the seams.

The pattern I'm working on now says to press the seams in one direction, so that's what I'll be doing this time.  I'm not sure of the theory behind when to press them open and when to press them to one side... but if I figure it out, I'll let you know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Vietnamese Soft Shell Crab
Chicken Pad Thai Recipe
How to Make Miso Glazed Chicken Wings
How to Make Burmese Melon Salad
Asian Bites: Traditional Malaysian Chicken Satay Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...