A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
343 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: chocolate cookies made with cocoa, not chocolate chips?  (Read 1209 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jane2
« on: September 25, 2005 04:32:43 PM »

My question is does anyone have a recipe for chocolate cookies - made with cocoa? Not chocolate chips.

My copy has disappeared and I've just found out that my mother doesn't have her recipe any more either. (She was relying on me to have it if she ever needed it again.)
I originally got it from her ... so it probably came out of a "woman's" magazine in the early 70's.

Any help is appreciated.
TIA,
Jane
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheRehn

being a FOC is cool :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005 04:36:31 PM »

Probably not what you're looking for but *might* help
http://www.be-ro.com/f_insp.htm rememebered because recipe is in a little cookbook (sponsered by the flour!) that my mum has!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haven't been too well recently - not fallen off the face of the earth.
Ooh - I have a Wist http://www.wists.com/TheRehn
Jane2
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005 08:51:42 AM »

Many, many thanks for your attempt to help me, TheRehn.

No, that is not the same recipe.
For example, we don't have self-raising flour in this country on a regular basis - so any cookies my mom made wouldn't call for that as an ingredient.
But I know I have a conversion factor around here somewhere of how much baking powder (?) to add to a cup of (regular) flour.

I haven't tried out your recipe yet (My work hours have suddenly cut into my computer "play" time and into daily living.) plus I need to find some extra time to convert the measurements of grams/ounces to cups, etc..
But I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again,
Jane
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hellocharlotte
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005 12:40:29 PM »

Hey Jane.  I have a recipe for Korova cookies that are made from cocoa (and you can add choc chips for extra chocolatey sweetness and goodness).  It's on the Splendid Table site (from  NPR).  Lots of other great recipes too.  Hope this is similar to what you were you trying to hunt down!  http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recipes/dessert_korova.shtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fero
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005 10:23:09 AM »

Personally id just use a standard cookie recipe, leave out the choc chips and replace one ounce (about25g) of flour with one ounce of cocoa powder. Thats how i make cakes anyway. Hope you find what your after. xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane2
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005 05:23:19 PM »

I'm back, to say: Many thanks to you all for your help so far.
(Remember I mentioned work as getting in the way of me trying out the recipe you  kindly provided, TheRehn? Well things got worse from then on - with the death of a friend. And not one - but two - computer crashes on separate days.)

I've made your recipe TheRehn, and it wasn't even very close. Not bad though. The cookies didn't even survive for more than two days!

But the cookies of my missing recipe were much, much darker in colour.
And they were drop cookies - which is how I made TheRehn's recipe up.

I wonder if they could have been a brownie recipe that was made in a drop cookie style. Does anybody have any thoughts about that? Because I don't know if making brownies as drop cookies is even possible.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005 08:16:54 AM »

I wonder if they could have been a brownie recipe that was made in a drop cookie style. Does anybody have any thoughts about that? Because I don't know if making brownies as drop cookies is even possible.

Ooh, I have the perfect recipe at home. I'll post when I get off work this evening.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005 09:40:33 PM »

Okay so this recipe achieves a cookie that has the chewiness of a browine but the crunch of a cookie. And it's easy. But I didn't recall that it does indeed call for choco chips and not cocoa. Sorry they don't at all fit your requirements but the cookies really come out well and they could possibly be a very good replacement for your lost recipe. I'll keep looking though.

1 package of plain devil's food cake mix
1/3 cup water
1/2 stick of butter, melted
1 large egg
1 bag (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, pecans (if desired)

Preheat oven to 350.
Place cake mix, water, melted butter and egg in large mixing bowl. Blend for 1 minute. Scrape sides. Blend again for 1 more minute. Dough should be thick. Fold in chips and nuts.

Drop spoonfuls of dough onto cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or unil they have set but are still a little soft in center. Remove from oven, let cookies rest for 1 minute and then put on wire rack to cool completely.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2005 09:42:35 PM by LivinEasy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

purple_hippo
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005 10:01:52 PM »

where are you from that SR flour isn't common? standard conversion (at least the one I've always used!) is 2tsp baking powder to 1C plain flour. sorry i cant help with the recipe though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftaholic on the loose....I just....     ...need...          ...one...               ...more...                    ...shot...                         ...of craftahol...
shlowzikins
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005 09:17:12 AM »

what kind of consistency did the cookies have? I have a recipe for chocolate cookies that come out really thin and crisp, but if you switch around the ingredients a little they can be fluffier or fudgier. I really love chocolate cookies, and I have a pretty big recipe file of them, so if you tell me some more specifics I might be able to help you...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Ribbon Christmas Tree
How to Stretch a Canvas
How to Make Christmas Centerpieces
How to Make Christmas Sachets
How to Make Face Paint
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...