A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,094
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ChristineDaae costume *tutorial added* *VERY image heavy*  (Read 35768 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_costume , costume , costume_idea , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 25, 2005 04:05:53 PM »

Ok, so i was on here and saw that someone intended on becoming Christine Daae from Phantom of the Opera for Halloween and suddenly (even tho i hadnt intended on dressing up this year) i was obsessed with the idea and so this is what i ended up with....

The one in the movie:
http://phantomthemovie.warnerbros.com/_images/costumes_christine4.jpg
http://phantomthemovie.warnerbros.com/_images/g_photo03.jpg
http://www.costumebeginner.com/researches/phantomcos/full/dj9.jpg

And mine...

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/346/101017227bg.jpg
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/5839/101016624ji.jpg

Mine, of course, is not quite like hers, lol.  Any suggestions to make it better?

Edit: Sept 28, 2005

Several people have asked how to make this costume (which makes me so happy  Grin) so, although many of the stuff i used I happened to have around the house, so it might be difficult for some of you! Also, i tend to make up things as i go along so at times i'm not sure how i did what i did. And this is my first tutorial so it may be a bit confusing!! That said, here is the tutorial! If you use it, i would LOVE it if you posted pix of your adaptation! (click on the images if you want to see them bigger)

Ok, the first part I made was the corset...
..which i made out of some black Duck brand duct tape. I actually attached it to a tan bra (that was pretty much falling apart and so of no practical use anymore.) So i put on a shirt that fit, put the bra on over it, and got my sister and cousins to wrap me in the duct tape! We started with small strips at the top, attaching the bra to the shirt and then wrapped it all the way down. We actually did the part over my ribs twice..you might want to go over it three times, because mine's turning out really wrinkly...you cant tell really, but it may be better to avoid that. After they finished wrapping me, they took scissors and cut it up the back. Then i cut any part of the shirt that wasnt under the tape off and then put tape around the edges to finish them off nicely and put a few vertical strips of duct tape to get a more corset-like look. I also tucked some silk flowers under the tape just under the bra. Next I used wire cutters and scissors to poke holes in the back of the corset. (there has GOT to be an easier way to do that...but that was what i had avaliable at the time...) You'll want about 2 yards of string to lace up the corset (this may seem like a lot, but you'll need that much so you dont need to take all the lacing out to take off the corset..the string does drag on the floor a bit when it's on me and fully laced..i havent figured out how to solve that yet, but i'll let you know if i do!)
The back of the corset(with the lacing)..and you can see the tshirt inside it...

Ok, for the rest of the top, i had an old white shirt that i cut the neck off of so it could go around my shoulders...i wear the shirt under the corset.
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/1875/untitled19jy.th.jpg
..i had painted on the shirt a different time, but it all gets covered by the corset.

The lace i bought at JoAnns in the clearance rack...it was just a strip of lace long enough to go around my shoulders and tie in the front. I'm thinking of going out and getting wider lace because mine is a bit smaller than hers. I'll probably hand-sew some of the lace to the bra, shirt or corset so it doesnt move much.

For the skirt, i just went back to the sale rack at JoAnns and picked something that looked like the right color...it's actually corduroy, embossed with a flowery pattern...

The fabric was the right width for my height, so I just got a few yards and held it so the shorter length fell to the ground and just wrapped it around me and safety pinned it in the back (..i hope that was clear enough, i'm not sure how to word it...)

You kinda have to twist it under in the back so the pin doesnt show, and you get a lovely train...(or i did anyway, i guess it depends on the width and length of your fabric in relation to your size.) You'll probably want to sew or pin it in the back so it doesnt fly open..i havent done this yet, but i'll probably just safety pin it.

The wrap skirt was again off the lovely sale rack..(gotta save money, especially if it's just a halloween costume!) It's a part velvet, part sheer fabric printed with roses. I believe her skirt is actually a gold and black swirl fabric, but since the gold of the skirt shows thru the sheer parts, it works out to about the same.)

(the white is just my bed sheets showing thru, not the fabric itself.) I bought enough to go around me, then folded it in half and cut it in a curve...

So when unfolded, it looks like this...

The flower in my hair is just a fake flower which i attached a pin to, then attached the pin to a barette. (again, probably theres a better way to do that)

And that's it! Just put the white shirt on, pin the skirt on, have someone lace you into the corset, put the lace around your shoulders and clip the barette in your hair!

I realise these directions may not be very easy to follow, so i suggest trying what i did and if it doesnt work, find a different way to do it! Here are the VERY helpful links i used...

If you have ANY questions, dont hesitate to ask me! I'm on here very often, so I will answer as quickly as possible!

Thank you!  Grin
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013 01:33:42 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
ladywyntir
Wyntir Witch of the West

"Knit is Good... But Crochet is WICKED!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005 06:44:59 PM »

you did a WONDERFUL job!!  if you wanted to get that glittery look, stop by a 99 cent store (if you have them near) and pick up some party sequins.  (round shiny type) and put them here and there.

but i think it looks great just as you've done it.  she's supposed to be the poor flower girl in that scene, nothing too extravagant.  ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005 06:47:35 PM »

thank you!!  I may try the sequins, i was wondering about the look of her skirt as compared to mine...but on the other hand, if i dont use sequins, i can easily use the skirt fabric for something else!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
jezebelfreek
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005 07:27:50 PM »

I would only reccommend more roses for your basket, and maybe some curls in your hair.

Beautiful job, I haven't even started mine, though I have most of the material I'll need Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://antigone.etsy.com  <- Go shoppity!
Catgr13
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005 03:53:21 PM »

Your costume is amazingly beautiful.  Can you post a tutorial for it?  The skirt part doesn't look that difficult to re-create, but I'm not sure about the lace and bodice part.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005 04:24:17 PM »

Your costume is amazingly beautiful.  Can you post a tutorial for it?  The skirt part doesn't look that difficult to re-create, but I'm not sure about the lace and bodice part.  Thanks!

Sure i can post a tutorial! All of it is quite easy. It should be up by tomorrow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
poppyrocks1
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005 03:02:44 AM »

wow you did such a good job!
yeh, cover (or partly cover) the skirt in gold sequins or use glitter fabric paint and paint on in whorls if you dont have enough time for fiddly sequins. also put a little red bow under the bust of the dress like in the movie and it will be an even more accurate replica! well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nutella

In a free knitting pattern kind of way.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005 01:11:26 PM »

Lovely job! If you're wanting to make the skirt more sparkly/costume-ish, think about adding an over skirt of gold tulle or organza. That way you can decorate the overlayer with extra sequins and glitter (if you want) and keep the underskirt fabric clean.

I just checked eBay, and there are quite a few sellers, I can't vouch for any of them, but there's one selling a gorgeous gold organza by the yard for $3.99/yard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wisty bandwagon: http://wists.com/?q=nutellanutterson

I'm walking and raising funds in support of AIDS Project Los Angeles: http://aidswalklosangeles2007.kintera.org/kejreeves
poto_fan

No day But today

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005 02:35:31 PM »

*SCREAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM!!!!!!!!! OMG! that is sooooooooooooooooooooo so sooooooo totally AWESOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The heart may freeze or it can burn
The pain will ease if I can learn
There is no future
There is no past
I live this moment as my last
There's only us
There's only this
Forget regret
Or life is yours to miss
No other road
No other way
No day but today
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005 02:44:18 PM »

*SCREAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMM!!!!!!!!! OMG! that is sooooooooooooooooooooo so sooooooo totally AWESOME!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Catwoman Halloween Makeup
How to Do Effie Trinket Halloween Makeup
How to Do a Checkboard Manicure
How to Fix Lipstick Mishaps
How to Fix Your Foundation
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...