A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dyeing Acrylic?  (Read 1957 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

styloplume
« on: September 25, 2005 03:36:47 PM »

After lurking awhile, I've finally got myself an account and come out of the woodwork.

So, has anyone had any luck dying acrylic?  I have a cone of white acrylic lace-weight-ish yarn that my mother in law gave me.  I'm not particularly white-wearing person, and I like to knit in colors anyway.  I just remembered that I have this in my stash and I thought that it would make a nice airy scarf (or several) for christmas presents.

Would RIT work?  OR am I just SOL because it's a synthetic fiber?

Thanks!
Stylo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When trouble is near, I am not slow!  It's Hop Hop Hop and away I go!
subloke
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005 04:44:47 PM »

I haven't tried dying pure (ha) acrylic, but I have dyed cotton/acrylic blends.  One attempt at dying was a yarn that had a cotton strand twisted with an acrylic strand (sort of a boucle-ish).  In that dying attempt only the cotton took any color.  However, another attempt was a blend where there weren't separate strands (I don't know how the cotton/acrylic blend works exactly) and that time the yarn took the dye evenly throughout the whole strand. 

My impulse is always to go ahead and try it.  If it doesn't take the dye, then you know, but if it does, then you have some pretty dyed yarn.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
francey
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005 07:32:19 PM »

acrylic is basically fine plastic fibers plyed together to create a yarn.

dying plastic... how does that sound?  Well, to me it sounds like it won't work - which it probably won't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

everybody's got something to hide, except for me and my monkey
callakat
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005 07:36:51 PM »

If you check out Dharma Trading Co.  I think they have dye for acrylic fibers.  I'm pretty sure RIT won't work, though.  Another choice would be to knit the white and a thin colored thread together.  You would at least get a little color then.  I think it could look really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I could pick one word to describe myself, it would probably be Fluffy Puff Marshamallows... or Homestar. Either one, really.  They both fit.
natashafialkov
dame da luxe

boom chuggaluggalugga

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005 07:36:02 AM »

i am pretty sure if won't work, and they make special dyes for synthetic fibers only. after spending the money on the special dye that you would have to order, it may not be cheap anymore. rit is a combo of two dyes in one, one for plant fibers, like cotton, the other for animal fibers like wool, so that is the only thing it will dye...sorry! you could knit with the acrylic and a strand of something else to mix it up a bit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luxe. providing gorgeous luxury and unusual fiber, yarns, knits, knitting kits and so much more to the deluxe knitter!
take a look!
http://luxefibre.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30852523@N00/
styloplume
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005 09:48:04 AM »

Thanks for the responses everyone.  I've got quite a bit of this stuff, so I may just head on down to the local Art supply store to see what kind of synthetic dyes they've got.

I really like the stranding with another thread idea.  I've got another cone (from my MIL -- she rocks!) of a fine silver thread.  Woohoo space age scarves und stuff!

(by the way, Francey, your avatar and sig lines both resonate.  Bowie and the Beatles both rock)

(apparently, according to this post, everything rocks in my world...  "note to self, expand vocab.")
THIS ROCKS   Logged

styloplume
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005 09:56:16 AM »

Oh, and Subloke, I once found an old golf sweater at a thrift store (mr. rogers style cardigan) that claimed to be "pure virgin acrylic"   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005 11:46:42 AM »

Oh, and Subloke, I once found an old golf sweater at a thrift store (mr. rogers style cardigan) that claimed to be "pure virgin acrylic"   Huh

I really really need to learn to not put food in my mouth while reading things on the internet!  Now I need to clean up... 

That is really funny!!

I *HOPE* they used humane acrylic harvesting practices Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
styloplume
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005 02:07:21 PM »

And I'm sure that the acrylobeasts were checked for ..erm... purity, before their fleece was harvested.... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancingbarefoot
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005 02:12:40 PM »

The best you can do with acrylic is to coat it with a new color. It won't absorb dye like a natural fiber will.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Stuff, Prepare, and Cook a Turkey
How to Carve a Turkey
How to Make Turkey Gravy
How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes
How to Make Turkey Stuffing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...