A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Beginner's Supplies..  (Read 17937 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ayn
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2005 10:49:38 AM »

Hi again HC -- oh sure, I understand!

For me, making jewelry usually is a superb way to relax -- well, as long as I'm not making it as a gift or to sell tho, because then I tend to get a bit "anxious."

Hope it works for you too. Quite a number of yrs ago when I was going through one of those pretty horrible life periods, jewelrymaking (no particular type or technique just the basic idea of plenty of brain creativity & hand activity) was actually suggested to me as a potential relaxer by a couple of doctrs, including even a psychiatrist!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tressa
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005 08:31:45 AM »

When I first started I went a little crazy and bought tons of stuff.  Here's what I would recommend.

Tools:  Pliers (round nose, flat nose), a crimp tool, and wire cutters.  Sometimes you can buy sets for about $15 at craft stores.  If you plan on using memory wire you may need memory wire cutters.

Wire:  Either Beadalon or Accuflex  (don't buy the cheap stuff)

Beads:  Try buying assortments of different colors, shapes and sizes.  Glass beads are easy and inexpensive to start out with.  Try buying some "E" beads, seed beads, crystals, silver spacers, etc. 

Findings:  Crimp tubes (sliver or gold are easier to work with), head pins, earring wires (french hooks) , jump rings, clasps (buy a few different kinds - toggle clasps, spring clasps, and maybe some lobster or torpedo clasps....try them out and see what you like best).

Storage:  Bead boxes really help keep things neat.  If you can't see your beads or find them you probably won't use them.

Bead board:  I like the multistrand kind.  You can use a towel instead but the board is really handy.

Books:  I recommend picking up a basic beading guide.  They are good to have around for reference.  Beading magazines are also good to browse through for idea.

Anyway...hope this helps!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my etsy shop:  www.funkyfelinedesigns.etsy.com
HardCandy63

Short Attention Span Crafts Since Age Four.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005 04:46:18 PM »

thank you! & ayn, the theraputic qualities of any crafts..beading, knitting, whatever, are always so theraputic, i'm suprised more people don't reccomend it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tressa
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005 06:35:19 AM »

I truly genuinely honestly 'despise' making earrings, lol... so mostly I used them up for things such as charmlike dangles on bracelets.

Hi Ayn,

You're not alone...earrings are not my favorite thing to make.  For some reason I have a hard time with them.  They always seem to come out lopsided.....

Maybe I just don't have the patience.  But I sure like to wear them.  Hmmmmm....maybe I should give it another try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my etsy shop:  www.funkyfelinedesigns.etsy.com
SoftFlexGuy
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006 03:46:54 PM »

Ayn,

You never fail to give great advice.    Grin

You mentioned Soft Touch on pearls necklaces - perfectly acceptable, all of our wire is flexible enough to be knotted and Soft Touch has a nice drape, but if you are designing a traditional pearl necklace, I would say stick with silk and keep it traditional.

Happy Beading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dogperson
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006 04:48:17 PM »

Books:  I recommend picking up a basic beading guide.  They are good to have around for reference.  Beading magazines are also good to browse through for idea.

any books/magazines in particular?

this thread is making me scared of earrings - and thats what i want to start this whole beading nonsense to learn how to make!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

people person?  no, i'm more of a dog person.
fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007 04:43:12 PM »

dogperson - don't despair, I love making earrings! One of my favorite things to make because they are small, but allow so much creativity and personality in such a little package!

HC - this runs completely contrary to the thread, so others may disagree, but I built my collection over time, so I could spread out the expense. There are always "bits left over" that can be incorporated into future projects, and just like that..your collection grows until one day you realize that you have a problem =) I mean, a great stash. I also think that the tools you will want/need will depend entirely on personal style, and what you want to do - and I think these can be added as you develop you interests as a beadworker, too.

However, in order to develop an eye for what you want to do, and what tools you'll need in order to do it (and even what substitutions you will make), you'll need to familiarize yourself with what's out there. You could buy a book, but I also highly recommend going online and just spending some hours browsing - there is a wealth of information readily available.

There was a gal named Emily who used to run the about.com's Beading website. She left years ago, but I believe the woman who took over filed all of Emily's old posts, which include lessons on peyote stitch, commanche stitch, freeform peyote tips, square stitch, even netting and neat things like dutch spirals and african double helixes (all with clear illustrations, etc.). I strongly encourage you to go through these. I learned a lot of just plain beadwork engineering from those pages. I think all of the original gallery pages might still be there, too. Loads of inspiration!

happy beading!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
JennyPenny
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007 11:39:05 AM »

I keep a stock of various widths of hemp and lots of head pins and eye pins. That way, I can make earrings if I want to, or I can make necklaces. Those are the easiest things to make when you are starting out.
When I started making wire jewelry, I started with a make your own earring set that I bought at a Michael's craft store. The set had four different kinds of earrings and step by step instructions on how to make them. That really inspired me, and it was only 5 bucks. All I needed were some wire beading tools, which are also inexpensive. I just bought a nice bead tool kit and I am addicted to making earrings! I hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JennyPenny
RondaS
Greetings and Merry Meet!

I am better, but still easily tired...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2007 08:49:07 PM »

if you don't have a beading board, a cheap piece of felt will work - or a towel - but I recommend the board if you can get it

another thing I don't see mentioned is a flat nosed pliers - the long thin kind - I find them very helpful when twisting wire or shaping head/eye pins for holding the pin steady while I twist on the round nosed pliers

I got a really cute set of miniature pink tools at Hobby Lobby or Walmart or somewhere - came in a carry case with tweezers, needle nose, flat nose, covered flat nose, round nose, jump ring spreader and a wire cutter, all in about half size of regular tools - got it for traveling and now I use them all the time. The only thing I needed by way of tools other than what was in that kit, was a pair of crimpers

Also, if you want a less expensive but sturdier solution to bead and finding storage, hit the department stores in the fall and winter to get empty plastic tackle boxes on clearance - they usually come with carrying cases in sets or as a separate organizing box. A nice way to stay organized is to keep one sort of thing in one box and another in a different box (all my mellifiori is in one storage container, all my metal spacers and bead caps in another set, etc) - and since they come in all sizes this will work for anyone no matter how much stuff you have accumulated

and do shop around in the stores, on and off line! Sometimes online is the only place to get what you want, and sometimes you can get a great bargain locally - just remember it is only a bargain if you are REALLY going to use it (maybe not today, but sooner or later)!

doing a small project is a lot different from putting together a base for working with beads long term, be sure you know what you are after and your own expectations for future beading projects!

Blessings!
Ronda

if I could spell I wouldn't have to modify... LOL!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007 08:56:11 PM by RondaS » THIS ROCKS   Logged

feel I've been sick forever - still tired and RUNNING LATE!!!

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Give me a bag of tumbled stones and I will play for hours! Wink

Brightest Blessings!
mstngnettie
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007 12:25:32 PM »

Just to go back to the getting started aspect, most craft stores that sell bead tool kits also sell assortment packages of seed beads and basic beads. Thats a great way to start your bead collection. Its also has built in storage which is always a plus. You can also get small (2x2) storage bags that also work well for storage! These also come in large quantities(250). These stores also sell findings in large quantities at cheap prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nettie
www.CrafterHeaven.com
"Click and Create!"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change Your Hair from Day to Night Look
How to Create Mermaid Curls
These Vintage Hair Dryer Photos Make Us Nostalgic
The Hottest Hair Trends for Spring
8 Great Curling Irons and Hair Straighteners
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...