A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Beginner's Supplies..  (Read 18514 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jlry-Lv-R
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007 08:49:22 AM »

I agree with Ayn bead spinners are a pain never could get the hang of it myself and I personally love to sort beads.

As for the beginner beadier, tools are extremely important. You don't have to buy high end in the beginning but stay away from the 1-3 dollar tool bin at the swap meet these tools "mar" to easily.

I started beading at 8 years of age and still have stuff from when I was a kid. Amassing materials is fun and good but you'll find after awhile you will over whelm yourself if your not careful.

Ayn is right about beads you love especially if their old Czech beads make sure you buy enough for a large project. When I was bead money poor I would buy beads I loved by the 10 or 20 batch, well that was usually never enough for what I needed as I did pretty detailed projects.
So now I have thousands of small quantities of beads that I also use for charms etc. but the point is I would have really liked to make something bigger. I wish I would have bought less smaller quantities and focused on a few larger batches.
There are so many places to buy beads from nowadays that its mind boggling just really crazy. If you live some place where there is multiple bead stores go "window" shopping and compare. Remember that pictures can be deceiving so you want to learn the difference between the grades of beads you buy a good example of this would be the Milifore Bead
a milifore bead from Italy very high quality
a milifore bead from India a lot lower quality
the difference is one is smooth and one is bumpy however in a picture they can look very similar
Start learning about the different makers of beads.
also a common rule most glass beads made in India are "sand cast" this is an older and more inexpensive way to make beads that poorer country's use. So when you see glass beads from India advertised you'll know the quality is probably not as good as Italian, Bohemian, Austrian,Czech etc.
The Bead Museum in Glendale AZ has good information and you can get questions answered go to their website and check them out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shinylipgloss

You can turn off the sun, but I'm stillgonnashine.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007 07:27:51 AM »

Thanks for all the information...I want to get into beading.  I'm so happy I found this post and board!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jlry-Lv-R
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007 08:04:02 AM »

Your welcome! Beading is a lot of fun and rewarding as you don't have to stop at jewelry but can make so many things. Also I learned alot by joining a bead society in my area. most of the ladies were a lot older then me and I learned so much from them it was great fun. Also if you want to learn about the history of beads sign up for the "Center for Bead Research" news letter very informative stuff.
sincerely
V
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IndefatigableL
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008 08:50:02 PM »

This is a totally crazy question, but I can't find an answer to it. Let me preface this by saying I have never, ever made any jewelry (except for one necklace when I was 6 or so on cotton string), and I'm just starting out! Say I just wanted to string beads. Not with chain, not doing wire and making little loops on either end to connect to other things, but just beads. What would I string them on? Pearls go on silk, would I do glass beads like that? I'm looking at firemountaingems.com and they have fireline thread, nylon thread, silk thread, kevlar (which just seems awesome to me, but then I am in the Army), sinew... What would I use to just make an all bead strand necklace?

I know it's an absurdly simple question, which actually might be why I can't find the answer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blah. Currently in Iraq.
Jlry-Lv-R
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008 06:51:46 AM »

First, there is never any dumb questions. As they say the only dumb question is the one left unasked.
Stringing has become so "complicated" if you are a new beader and looking at supplies. I am an old-school beader who learned on string and thread. Which you can still bead on. They sell it in any bead store.
Most people use it only for seed beading but you can still string with it as long as you know who to tie knots and you don't cut it with crimps. It is a very cheap way to go and works well.
All the really old necklaces used to be strung this way and they last 50-60 plus years. However, with that said softflex works very well for sing strand or double or triple. You can buy it in light,medium or heavy and all you need is a pair of flat nose pliers to crimp a crimp bead with if you do not want to invest in crimping pliers. Its durable and doesn't "kink" like fishline.
Do you have any books on stringing? If not you can go to firemountain gems and a few other websites and they have instructions on how to do the ends for softflex, or just hit me back and I would be more then willing to provide detailed instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IndefatigableL
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008 11:58:01 AM »

Thanks! I'll look into books for now. I already ordered two, but they are not on stringing specifically, so once they arrive and I look them over, I'll probably look into more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blah. Currently in Iraq.
Jlry-Lv-R
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008 12:13:04 PM »

You might be interested in a book called "Beaders Companion" it is a nice little but thick book that is easy to travel and take with you. Mine rides in my backpack.
This excellent little book provides bead identification, size, wire size, material or component identification and also gives instructions on stringing, knotting, working with wire and beading.

Its very affordable and informative. The way it is set up makes it easy to use and is good to take with you when shopping for materials.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IndefatigableL
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008 12:26:23 PM »

Cool, I'll definitely look into that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blah. Currently in Iraq.
fusbdgt
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008 08:20:05 PM »

I love to make earrings hardcandy!!! i think that it's probably b/c my attention span is so short but don't be afraid of them.  unlike some of the other posters i personally am not a fan of the necklace making, i just feel like i'm not that entirely great at it. everyone has such good advice 4 you.  i too would probably look for someone in the airea that had the same interest in learning to bead or that already does, i'm always so inspired when working with another beader, and many times you can learn much from each other even in your experimentation.  you never know someone that you already know may be into beading and they are looking for someone to be crafty with! i didn't realize how many people are crafty till i started talking openly about how much i loved it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ebrown2503
Fiber bead artist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008 05:11:45 AM »

I buy anything and everything I can get my hands on when I see it. That way, when the time comes and you need a certain finding or tool for the job, you don't have to stop and go shopping...the work is already done. It's addicting tho, so beware!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.ebrown2503.etsy.com
One day fiber beads will rule the world!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Decorate Outdoor Rooms
How to Set Up Your Patio For Spring
Kobi Levi Creates Violin Shoes
Flowers Appear to Float in This Ripple Contraption
Design Concept Envisions Semi-Invisible Structures
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...