A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What did you serve  (Read 2536 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NessaGurl
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005 06:24:14 AM »

Weddings are so stressful, so to cut down on that my hubby and I decided we didn't want the whole formal dinner, head table, speaches thing so we went with a nice evening wedding 6pm in an old mennonite meeting house, then it was off to the hotel where we had a nice cocktail wedding in the bar/lounge. We had a jazz trio and served hors d'ouvres and had a kinda buffet thing with whole salmons and sea food, and many other finger foods cause I dont' like sea food. My friend who came from Bali for the wedding made us thai ribs (he's a chef) that were awesome. My hubby and I also didn't want a big cake, so we went with cupcakes, they were fun and everyone loved them. All in all, my wedding was almost stress free, if I had to give advice, I would say keep it simple! Weddings are such a lot of work, for a day that just fly's by!!!

NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
skyra

a fork is a fork of course

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005 07:50:07 AM »

Potluck all the way baby!!!

Rather than a big floral centerpiece on our tables, I had a basket of buns.  I was going for a relaxed, cozy atmosphere, and because everyone sat at their tables for the actual ceremony, and I knew there would be lots of kids there and it was falling right at dinner time, I wanted something for them to munch on.  I also made herbed butter for the buns.  I was able to make the butter a month in advance.  Take butter, knead in herbs (I made several different types.  Garlic butter, garlic w/ lemon zest, mixed herb, dill, garlic and lemon etc) roll into long roll then freeze.  Take it out of freezer morning of wedding.  Thaw for about half an hour, then cut into slices and put in dishes.  Voila.  Easy, and HUGE hit!

My husbands cousin gifted us with all of the meat.  Strip loins and chickens.  We had those on the BBQ right after the ceremony.  This would have been our biggest purchase had it not been gifted to us.

My parents brought tonnes of fresh fruit and veggies for platters
Friends brought tonnes of salads and side dishes
My closest friends all brought desserts for the dessert table as we weren't going to have a cake (my MIL brought a wedding cake for us afterall Smiley)

We had the wedding in a church hall...so there was a big kitchen.  We just lined up some tables in there, and sent people in when they were ready to eat.

Turned out to be VERY inexpensive, created the EXACT feel that we were going for, and people LOOOOOVED it.  Of course, most of the people that came to the wedding were from town here, so the potluck idea made it easier.  I didn't ask out of towners to bring anything, as it wouild have been difficult to whip something up from a hotel room Tongue.  My friends were all thrilled to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting to save the world...one magnet at a time!!
http://www.torridcraftaffair.etsy.com
NessaGurl
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005 08:00:54 AM »

I had a friend who did the pot luck thing, I thought it was a wonderful idea and was considering it for our wedding but my father is more traditional and having owned restaurants all his life...FOOD was the main thing he thought about! And since he was paying...we had no choice. But if I had to do it over and we were paying...it would definitely be a pot luck...nobody minds helping out.

NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005 08:03:47 AM »

We did the cocktails and hors d'ouvres thing, with plenty of food for "meal sized" helpings and had a great caterer that did sandwiches - cucumber, chicken salad, seafood salad, ham, and roast beef. We also had jumbo shrimp, peanut chicken on skewers, lots of veggies and fruit, a cheese and cracker table and the crowning glory--------- a chocolate fountain with fruit and marshmallows and pretzels and graham crackers. That stole the show. Noone would have noticed if we hadn't had a cake. They  wouldn't have minded if we didn't have food. They probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been there. It was all about the flowing molten chocolate.The whole hall smelled like heaven. In fact the chocolate fountain is the only thing about having a wedding that I would recommend (except for my wonderful husband).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
madamedefarge
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005 08:34:07 AM »

I love the potluck wedding idea!  I love anything simple like that, and it kind of goes along with my theme for the wedding, which (this sounds ridiculous, but it will be a lot of fun, I think), is that all the guests are supposed to get their wedding day attire from the thrift shop (hey, if I can find a wedding dress there, they can find something to wear there).  I mean, obviously this couldn't be enforced, but I think it would be fun to see the male guests wearing outlandish pimp suits and leisure suits and see the female guests with puffy sleeves from another era.  I know that doesn't go along with food, but I think it's a cool idea...I've heard of people who had Halloween weddings and got the guests to come in costume, so this is really no different. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NessaGurl
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005 11:02:32 AM »

We did the cocktails and hors d'ouvres thing, with plenty of food for "meal sized" helpings and had a great caterer that did sandwiches - cucumber, chicken salad, seafood salad, ham, and roast beef. We also had jumbo shrimp, peanut chicken on skewers, lots of veggies and fruit, a cheese and cracker table and the crowning glory--------- a chocolate fountain with fruit and marshmallows and pretzels and graham crackers.

Holy Cow...that's almost exactly what we had...neat!

NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

Lv2ScrpBk
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005 11:11:51 AM »

I was at a wedding with a chocolate fountion and it was such a hit and boy was it good. Sadly it was only available from after the ceremony to dinner. Otherwise no one probably would have ate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."<br /><br />"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Devine"
rhiandmoi
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005 12:23:14 PM »

Well my wedding isn't until next September, but we are going to be serving BBQ. Either Tri Tip and Salmon or Brisket and Salmon. We haven't decided yet. It is between 3 caterers right now, but in the lead is the one with the BBQ trailer that they haul to the site and cook the food right there. The ceremony and reception are both being held at an Arboretum. The theme of the wedding is Orange County, CA 1965. I want to have an It's a Small World themed cake frosted in a sort of silver and white harlequin with It's A Small World figurines for the cake topper. Of course that requires me crafting up the cake topper. At least I have a long time to do it. For the centerpieces I want some small animal shaped ivy topiaries but the Boyfriend is balking at that idea. He is fine with ball shaped ones but not so much with the animal shapes. But I think in the long run he'll see things my way. My SIL thought I was crazy, but then she saw how cute the little forms are and she could see the way it looks in my mind. As far as music, I would love to have a surftones type band but I think we are just going to get a DJ to play hits from the 60's mixed with some current stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlfriday

I'm NOT a monkey!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005 12:27:07 PM »

rhiandmoi, you beat me to it...

We are having BBQ too. A serve-yourself, buffet-line kinda thing. It's no competition who we are getting ours from, our fave bbq place. Thankfully the groom and I agree on that one.
It's kind of neat; we decided on the food first and then the place we picked happens to be out in the country, kinda ranchy (ranch-y, not raunchy), so BBQ is perfect! Of course, how I'm going to suck down a plate of Rudy's in a gorgeous ivory dress is the next thing to figure out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is love? As far as I can tell, it is passion, admiration and respect. If you have two, you have enough. If you have all three, you don't have to die to go to heaven."
William Wharton
kristiface
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005 08:21:24 PM »

And Kristiface, your menu sounds awesome!  I love anything Mediterranean.

Thanks!  The best part about it all was the cost-- and that I didn't have to interview a bunch of different caterers! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Casserole Out of Thanksgiving Leftovers
How To: Asian-Style Burger With Ponzu Slaw & Sriracha Ketchup
Homemade Texas Red Chili Recipe
Cranberry-Orange Relish Recipe
Pomegranate Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...