A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yay for summer! - tutorial added  (Read 8757 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt , shirt , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2004 02:36:11 PM »

okay, so i know it's really only spring and not yet summer, but in florida, it's pretty damn hot and humid already. so i thought i'd show you guys and gals this skirt that i just finished:

sorry for the crap picture. i've yet to figure out how to take pictures of myself in the mirror without the flash being too bright.

anyways, this skirt was inspired by GoombaLoveDisaster's tutorial, here. but i didn't put it in that folder because A) mine isn't "reconstructed" - i got the fabric from the discount bin at walmart, and B) i'm hoping that having started a brand new thread will help keep me motivated to finish my other summer-y clothing projects so i can post them here too.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004 03:49:05 PM by kabili » THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
Toast.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004 02:56:41 PM »

wow thats amazing! it looks just like a bought one.
maybe i should pay more attention to tutourials!
well done! <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChemicalsMyDear

i will windmill kick you in the face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004 05:25:19 PM »

I like the buttons on the side (if I'm seeing correctly). It is getting pretty hot down here  Sad, depressing. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing beats going to Denny's at 10 pm with Becoming The Archetype and sharing a milkshake with Seth. Nope, nothing.
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004 07:25:07 PM »

thanks for the compliments! and yes, chemicalsmydear, it does have a button closure on the side. though how you could see that with the horrible picture is beyond me!

anyways, an update on my "motivational" plan is that it's working! i finished a new top tonight! and without further ado, my funky 70s print sleeveless top...

(also made from fabric found on the discount rack at wal-mart.)

p.s. yay - i didn't have to take a crappy picture in the mirror this time. use the capture function while the camera is actually connected to the computer! duh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goddess
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004 08:45:18 PM »

both are great pieces, and you have the perfect collarbone to carry off that top...now if I could only figure out how to thread my machine.... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eruvande
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004 05:40:46 AM »

I love the skirt! Looks like you've bought it Grin
Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004 08:49:00 AM »

thank for the compliments everyone! so here's my newest completed summer clothing project. i've been seeing these criss-cross type shirts around, so i thought i'd take a stab at creating one. kind of looks like a wrap, but only at the top. hopefully it doesn't look like maternity wear! (it doesn't in person, but the pic is not all that great.) what do you think?

p.s. don't mind the fact that i'm still in my pajama pants! oh, and i can try to do a tutorial if people are interested. (i took some "in progress" pics this time.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sallou
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004 10:02:34 AM »

Wow ! i just thought of making a shirt like that, but i don't know where to start.  Can you please post a tut?  You did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cynistr

Corporate Radio Sucks

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004 10:14:22 AM »

I love the red shirt - does not look like maternity-wear.  I, too, would love a tutorial. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So rested she by the tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004 03:46:22 PM »

There are 6 pieces to this shirt (or 4 if you decide to make it sleeveless). I used a pattern to get some of my pieces; it was New Look 6160. I used it because it has a simple, fitted t-shirt that I knew fit me. You can use a shirt that you already have that fits you well. The back of the shirt looks like this:

the bottom of the front looks like this:

make sure this is long enough to go from just below your bust, to wherever you want the waist of the shirt to be, plus seam/hem allowances.

For the top of the front, you need two pieces shaped like this:

(the dotted line shows where you should cut. After I had cut mine, I realized I wanted them to come to a point and had to revise the pieces. I just forgot to take pictures after doing that, so youll have to imagine that I cut them correctly the first time. Wink ) These should be tall enough to go from just below the bust to the top of your shoulders, plus seam allowances.

The sleeves are shaped like this:

*If youre not working from a pattern and/or youve never done sleeves this way, my tutorial might be insufficient for you to get them right. Proceed at your own risk. Lol.

Heres a step-by-step for constructing:

1)   sew the top-front pieces to the back piece along the shoulder seams.
2)   Hem both sides of the V and the back of the neck.
3)   Baste the bottom edge of the top-front pieces together. (you might want to slip it over your head to make sure the V isnt going to be too daring for you before the next step.)
4)   Attached the bottom-front piece to the top-front pieces.
5)   Now for the sides. Depending on the stretch of the fabric you choose, you might want some ease-stitches around the bust line. (See the detail below. On the pattern I used, there was about a 3 inch section that gets eased to be about 3 inches. Not a huge difference, I know, but it helps to not look like youve got a bunch of extra fabric under your arms. here's what mine looked like:

At any rate, regardless of whether you decide to do the ease stitching or not, attach the front to the back at the sides.
6)   Hem the waist.
7)   If you want a sleeveless top, hem around the armholes. If you want sleeves, skip this step and go on to the next. (Or just use whatever pattern you may have that you like.)
8.   Ease-stitch around the top (bell-shaped) part of the sleeve.
9)   Sew the sides of the sleeves pieces to form a tube. Looks like this:

10)   Turn the sleeves right side out. Put it in to the inside-out body that youve already constructed. This makes the right sides touch to you can pin it together. Match the underarm seam in the sleeve to the side seam of the body. And match the center of the top (bell) of the sleeve to the shoulder seam of the body. Now pull up the ease stitches on either side so that size of the sleeve matches the size of the armhole. Sew all the way around. Here's a pic to help:

11)   Hem the sleeves.
12)   This is optional, but I found that I wanted the top front pieces sewn to each other along the neck line, because I was self-conscious about them gapping open. (I guess that means Im not busty enough. Wink )

i hope this is enough explanation to help you ladies! let me know if you have questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How do I get digital pictures onto my computer?
Should I use red eye reduction?
What quality settings should I set my camera to?
What is depth of field?
Should I use automatic or manual focus settings on my camera?
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...