A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are the differences between these three techniques?  (Read 1306 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

girlonjourney
« on: September 25, 2005 09:05:51 AM »

Okay, this may be a naive question, but I don't know much about silk screening, stenciling. or iron-on transfers, mostly through what I have read here. I would like to start making some t-shirts to wear and to sell and I am having a hard time figuring out what route to take....are there benefits to one method or another? Thanks for any input you can provide....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
janer

all my friends are skeletons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005 09:18:11 AM »

Here's my opinion:

Silk screening: Is more costly that the other two options, but if you plan on making a business out of it, is probably the highest quality option. The benefits of silk screening is, once you've made the screen, say it's a friends band logo for example, then you just use whatever color ink, whatever color tshirts, and it'll be the most cost effective route if you're printing many shirts. Silk screening is a lot of fun, but many people will tell you that it's not a good option if you only want one or two prints of a single design. It's much better for multiples. Also, color limits you, with silk screening. The more colors you have in your design, the more screens you have to make. That's why it's so much more costly.

Stenciling: Not as professional of an overall look, especially if you're doing multiples of one pattern. This has more of a hand-painted, artsy look, in my opinion. I LOVE stenciling, so don't get me wrong. It's great if you want to make a shirt for yourself here and there, or for your friends, etc. But it defanitely has more of a "one-of-a-kind" look to it. The great thing about stenciling is, you can do as many colors as you like, and stencil on top of what you've already done to give a different effect. There are many more possibilities for stenciling if you're just making a handful of the same design.

Iron-on Transfers: My experience with iron-on transfers has been limited, but I know people that use them. They're great for photos, or something with a lot of deatail and a lot of color that you just couldn't imagine yourself stenciling. The problem with them is they tend to fade faster, and they ususally don't work as well on darker colored t-shirts. I know some print places where I live who will make them for people, but they refuse to do them on black or navy shirts because the outcome is less than satisfying. White t-shirts (or whatever you're printing on) is the best bet here. The other thing is, unlike stenciling and silk screening, you can't print an iron-on transfer twice in the same spot. You would do this with the other two to brighten the image and make the ink/paint more visible.

My favorite option, if you're just doing it as a one-of-a-kind thing for yourself and/or for sale, is stenciling. It's the most cost effective, and the result is better in most circumstances. I would only get into silk screening if you wanted to make a living at it, simply because of its cost to start up.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm on a break from swapping... much needed!

www.myspace.com/_jane_

http://www.wists.com/janer
girlonjourney
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005 09:21:49 AM »

Yes! It did help! Thank you so much! I need to read over what you wrote again, but I think I will probably start with some stenciling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jill Martin With Marlo Thomas
Plus-Size Style Tips
Best Dressed Stars: Sports Illustrated Model, NYFW and More
Striped Swimsuit Trends
Trends In Swimsuit Shorts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...