A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,069
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question for moms with tattoos  (Read 1010 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DevilDoll
« on: September 25, 2005 05:39:35 AM »

I have this super idea for a tattoo I think I want to get.  It's kind of a large piece that would start on the left side of my abdomen and continue down onto my leg a few inches.

I have been toying around with different design variations and ideas and then a question came to me - what happens if I have kids?  From what I can tell, the entire stomach area gets stretched out during pregnancy, then goes back after the baby is born & extra weight is lost... but what is the effect on any tattoos on the abdomen?  Do they get warped or wierded out afterwards?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greaserspoison
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005 07:09:03 AM »

mine didn't get warpped at all..the cherries on my stomach looked more like apples while i was preggi, but they've gone back to normal...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silvermam
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005 08:01:30 AM »

Same here allthough stretchmarks could be a problem I got loads none near my tattoos luckily  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shmac
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005 08:18:49 AM »

I have a small tattoo on my stomach and it got stretched pretty badly during pregnancy.  After my first pregnancy, I had one stretch mark on it.  After my second pregnancy, it was unrecognizable.  Of course I have a friend who did not get a single stretch mark during her pregnancy.  There is just no way to know if you are one of those people until you get pregnant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.crochetbot3000.com  Free Crochet Patterns
girlonjourney
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005 08:58:23 AM »

Okay no plans whatsoever to procreate here, but since we are on the stretch mark discussion, I am curious. Are the moms that ended up w/no stretch marks also the ones that didn't end up with stretch marks on hips during puberty (or college weight gain time?). Is this a good way to guess if one will end up with them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silvermam
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005 10:28:53 AM »

Don't think so I didn't have a single stretchmark untill I was about 5 months pregnant. Apparantly I was rather big since people asked me from about 6 month on Not long now is it? or are you having twins or more?  oh well
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skyra

a fork is a fork of course

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005 09:53:28 AM »

My body was RAVAGED by stretch marks through my pregnancy, but not during puberty...so no, there really is no way of knowing.

Some women get off easy with the tattoo looking normal after a pregnancy, but others are not so lucky.  It has everything to do with the elasticity of your skin...and further, how big you get when you are pregnant. 

Even something like a tattoo on the back of your hip isn't off limits to pregnancy.  I got pregnant from the asscrack out and my stretch marks (which are admittedly severe) reflect this.  Anything on my hips would have been destroyed as well.

If you are planning on having a child at any point, you might want to avoid breasts, abdomen and hips until after you are done.  It just isn't worth being stuck with a destroyed tattoo afterwards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting to save the world...one magnet at a time!!
http://www.torridcraftaffair.etsy.com
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005 10:41:37 PM »

I got some pretty sever stretchmarks, a little south of the border so to speak..

just thought I'd toss that in, cuz.. I know I never expected to get stretchmarks there during pregnancy..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005 12:41:56 AM »

My tattoo was ruined. I was really thin all my life so I sort of expected my body would freak when I got so big. I'm getting my tattoo covered and hoping it will hide my stretch marks too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
DevilDoll
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005 05:56:02 PM »

Oh my - I didn't even know about all the stretch mark issues... thanks for sharing your experiences!

I think I'm still going to get it, but I wont have it all 100% filled in, that way there will be some wiggle room for a repair job if needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DMQT #14 - Mac OS X Leopard - Dock Tricks
DMQT #16 - Mac OS X Leopard - Quicklook
DMQT #18 - Mac OS X Leopard - Unified Help System
DMQT #19 - Adobe Lightroom - Survey Mode
DMQT #20 - Final Cut Pro - Applying Filters ...
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...