A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,518
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: flowers for buddah (huge boys t gets girly)  (Read 6929 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

second-hand-smoke
« on: May 01, 2004 11:38:27 AM »

here is my latest attempt at tshirt surgery.
this was originally a HUGE boys ringer t that fit so strange it wasn't even good for sleeping. the graphic of buddah is printed a little off center which made it even weirder. i cut up the sides, cut the sleeves and neck off, and cut a big chunk off the bottom. then i stitched it back together inside out style so the seams show. i cut down the sleeves and repositioned them so they are fluttery caps, also stitched inside out with seams showing. then i cut slits in a random fashion around the neckline (remember, i am trying to offset the off center graphic).
http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v147/secondhandsmoke/buddah1.jpg
 i took the left over pieces of t and made little flowers and stitched those around the slits.
(i got this idea from a shirt i saw (i think) in anthropologies catalog)
http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v147/secondhandsmoke/buddahC.gif
vwalah! a shirt i'll actually wear!!
http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v147/secondhandsmoke/buddah3.jpg
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011 07:30:39 AM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

second hand smoke: Recycle-Remix-Refresh
http://secondhandsmoke-stuff.com
bluegum

Deranged Speed Knitting

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004 11:46:04 AM »

i think it cool. i like the slits. ok so maybe i'm dumb but how did you make the flowers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if i could be anything i'd be your tear/because i was born in your eye/lived in you cheek/and died on your lip
emerald6
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004 12:13:20 PM »

i adore it! please post a tutorial!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sray
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004 08:18:16 AM »

Those flowers are so fantastic looking!!  How did you make them?  (Tutorial please??  pretty please??)  And did they hold up in the wash?  When i make flowers out of a knit i always have to put some sort of fusible on them to keep them frmo rolling or looking really sad and droopy after washing...
But yours look great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004 10:39:26 AM »

that shirt is so cool, please post a tutorial!!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
cordeliapow
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004 11:21:11 AM »

that looks really great! do you hand wash it?

p.s. i think it was in anthropologie (but yours is much better!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wasabipeasrule

Nuffin' but muffins

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004 11:36:54 AM »

That's amazing! I am not Buddhist, but for some reason the little fat guy just appeals to me.   Wink   And the flowers are super cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Um, hi everyone, I'm sarah, and I'm a craftaholic...
second-hand-smoke
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004 04:55:57 PM »

ok - i'll work on a real tutorial. i've been wanting to make another shirt anyway. i think it would be cool to do colored flowers on a white shirt. in the mean time let me see if i can explain it better and hopefully answer some questions in the process.

OH! and before i forget, thanks for all the compliments!! you guys rock!

ok, the shirt is just a basic reconstruction for making a big shirt smaller - cut it down to the size you need and sew it back up. there's lots of tuts on that here on craftster. the only difference is i sewed with the seams on the outside. to get the shape of the neckline i used another tshirt i had that i liked the way it fit and used it for a pattern. to make sure the slits were in the right place i tried the shirt on and marked where i wanted them with a pencil, then just slit with scissors. they'll open up a bit when you wash, and if want them even wider you can go back and snip a little material away from each side.

now for the flowers:

(sray -  here is a tip for working with a knit if you DON'T want your fabric to curl and fray: fuse 2 layers of fabric together with fusible web (like stitch witchery) and then cut out your petals. it keeps them from fraying and gives them just enough body that they won't curl.)

HOWEVER, for these flowers i did NOT do this. i wanted them to curl and look soft and a little shabby, so i just cut the petals straight from the left over tshirt material.

i made a pattern from a piece of paper for a 6 petal flower shape, and a slightly smaller 5 petal flower shape. then i cut one each for each flower. i stacked the 2 pieces together and folded them in half, then stitched a little seam on the back in the middle - not all the way across, just enough to make a dart on the front. then i folded them in half the other way and stitched again. you will have a little X shape of stitching on the back of your flower, and a double v on the front. that serves to hold the 2 flower pieces together and to give them a little body so the petals don't just lay flat. then i stitched the whole thing to the tshirt sewing just in the center. the real trick to these is the long threads peaking out between the petals. i was lucky because i had some fuzzy accessory thread my sister gave me - i think it's supposed to be for scrapbooking, i've seen it at hobby lobby. it has a bunch of long threads sticking out from a center strand, but if you don't have that and you are patient you can just tie several pieces of plain thread, or use embroidery floss and separate the strands. tie it around the center between the top and bottom flower shapes and leave random pieces sticking out at different lengths. i also added some pearl beads to the center of some of the flowers for extra shine. i didn't do all of them as i didn't want it to be too overpowering.

now - i wash the shirt inside a lingerie bag and line dry, but i think handwashing would achieve the same results. in fact, you could probably just turn it inside out and wash on delicate cycle and be ok. just don't throw it in the dryer!! that's the main thing. my flowers usually come out looking fine, but you can smooth them out a bit while they're wet if need be. if you wanted a really tidy flower you could always iron. personally, i like them a little messy (if you ever saw my yard you'd know why LOL).

i hope this helped. sorry if it's confusing. and sorry it's so LOOooongggg. if you still have questions just ask - i'll try again!
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

burned-heart
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004 07:00:19 PM »

Great shirt, and thanks for the description! I'm going to have to put flowers all over my clothes now. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
second-hand-smoke
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004 08:04:45 PM »

Great shirt, and thanks for the description! I'm going to have to put flowers all over my clothes now. Smiley
oh! i know exactly what you mean! i keep having to resist the temptation to turn my whole closet into a garden. if i'm not careful i won't have a plain t left.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Jaws Slot Machine
The Sopranos Progressive Slot Machine
The 7 Point 7 Craps Bet
The Oasis 360 Slot Machine
Guster Serenade Rhiannon
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...