A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote for your favorite Bottle It Up project now! Smiley
Total Members: 302,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
400 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altering (taking in) blazers/jackets  (Read 547 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LuckyLally
« on: September 24, 2005 11:25:54 PM »

I searched the archive but didnt find exactly what I am looking for so bear with me if this is a repeat.

I bought this kick ass suit jacket from a department store today. But its a little boxy for my taste. there is a seam down the back and I know tailors will take in a back seam as opposed to taking in a side seam.

PROBLEM: I would really prefer not to cut the lining. I guess I could take it half off and then re attach it but thats alot of work for a 17$ jacket. so any ideas?

REAL QUESTION: does anyone know how tailors go about taking in jackets with lining? like what the "professional" way? and is that the most efficent? has anyone done this? and who is the leader of chile? (ok that isnt a craft related question I just wanted to have five questions)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicegirl512
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005 06:37:58 AM »

I don't know what tailors do, but I have altered several jackets by opening out the lining and taking in the back seam.  It's a quick and dirty fix that's not perfect but is better than boxy!  I use a seam ripper to detach the lining from the jacket on the bottom about three inches on either side of the back seam (depending on how much you need to take in).  You just need to be able to get in there and tighten the seam.  Once you've done that, just re-sew the lining (by hand).  The lining won't look as good, but that's why it's on the inside.  I usually don't bother to alter the lining, unless the jacket fabric is super thin and will show that the lining doesn't fit perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy Shop for my jewelry!
LuckyLally
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005 02:20:17 PM »

Just knowing someone has tried it makes me feel better. you are right..I dont care how the lining looks. THank you thank you thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vexy5260
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005 02:32:24 PM »

President Ricardo LAGOS Escobar
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005 07:28:59 AM »

When you've got the lining detached to alter the jacket, just take the same amount in the center back seam of the lining.  If there is no center back seam, take it in like a dart.  As long as you're doing all this work, you may as well improve the lining too.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Creole Sauce
How to Make Braised Brisket of Beef
How to Make Batter Dipped Snickers Bar
How to Make Sesame Chicken Tidbits
How to Make Onion Rings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...