A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,212
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shrug/Bolero/Top thingy - PATTERN / TUTORIAL ADDED!  (Read 24593 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Triyal
« on: September 24, 2005 11:13:48 PM »

I don't really know what to call this thing Smiley its a shrug, made from two knitted squares joined by a crochet piece and folded to make the sleeves, then I crocheted around the head opening to make the back and collar, then stopped when the collar was long enough (i didn't want it to cover the back) and continued shelling the back till it was 3/4 down my back. its mainly based on that shrug schematic
It was be worn a couple of ways...
1) under the boobs:

http://www.dazed.org/temp/bolero1.jpg

2) around the neck:

http://www.dazed.org/temp/bolero2.jpg
http://www.dazed.org/temp/bolero3.jpg

here's the detail of the back and how its made up:

http://www.dazed.org/temp/bolero4.jpg

Okay, here's the pattern/guide! sorry I took so long!!!

I used a 4mm hook...or it could be a 6mm..it doesn't really matter, just use the hook that matches your yarn best. there's no gauge to meet, as you can just add more rows till it fits you.

The shrug is made up of two back sections attached together by crochet detail forming a rectangle. The rectangle is folded in half and sewed up both sides to form the sleeves. The middle is left open to go around the back.

To make it exactly as I made mine, the back section is made mostly by KNITTING!! There is a crochet only version below, but I have not tested it!

Back
**MAKE 2 of this**
KNITTING VERSION

6.00mm knitting needles.
Cast on a multiple of 2, plus one. Cast on enough stitches to wrap around your upper arm. Remember that knitting is very stretchy compared to crochet, and the piece tends to be a little bigger than what you originally cast on.

Patterm:
Row 1: knit
Row 2: knit
Row 3: K1 *yfwd, slip 1, K1, psso. Rep from * till end
Row 4: knit

Repeat the four rows till you have a piece long enough to reach from the side of your neck to the arm however long you want your sleeves to be.

CROCHET VERSION

You can substitute the brick stitch instead of knitting. It will look a little different, with a lot less stretch.

Ch multiple of 4, plus 6 stitches till the starting chain is long enough to wrap around your upper arm. I would probably add an extra set of 4 ch in order to allow for some more room.

Row 1: skip 3 ch * 1 dc in each of the next two ch (1 dc, ch 3, 1 dc) in next ch, skip 1 ch  repeat from * till 3 ch lest. 1 dc in each of the last 3 ch. Ch 3, turn

Row 2: (3 dc, ch3, sc) in each ch 3 space. 1 dc between last grp of three dc and turning ch. Ch 3, turn.

Repeat row 2 till length is long enough to reach from the side of your neck to however down your arm you want the sleeves to go.

------------

Crochet design in middle of the back
This piece holds the two back pieces together to form the rectangle.

3 dc cluster = 3 dc in next st, leaving last lp of each dc on hook, yarn over and draw through all 4 lps on hook.

Ch 34 loosely

1st row: miss 1 ch, 1 sc in each ch to end (33 sc)
2nd row: 1 ch, 1 sc in each of first 4 sc * (7 ch, slst back into sc just worked) 3 times, 1 sc in each of next 8 sc, rep from * ending last rep with 5 dc instead of 8 dc.
3rd row: 5 ch, *[(3dc cluster, 5 ch) in next 7ch lp] twice, 3dc cluster in next ch7 lp, rep from * to end, 1tr in last dc on 2nd row.
4th row: *7 ch, 1 sc in next 5ch lp, rep from * to turning ch, 3 ch, 1 tr in top of turning ch
5th row: 1 ch, 1 sc in tr, *6 ch, 1 sc in next 7ch lp, rep from * to end.
Fasten off
With right side facing, and working along other side of foundation ch, join yarn with a slst to first ch.
1st row: 1 ch, 1 sc in each ch to end (33sc)
work rows 2 to 5. fasten off.

NOTE: This was the right height to match the height of my two back pieces. You may need to add a few rows of sc on the top and bottom of this piece until it is the same height as the two knit/crochet back sleeves.

----

Join back pieces. With the crochet design in the middle, join each knit/crochet piece on either side to form a rectangle.

Fold in half lengthwise. Sew up either end to form the sleeves, leaving the middle open for your back and head.

----

You you crochet the collar, back and front. This is done all in one piece.

This I based on the shrug schematic here: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6750&highlight=shrug
 (this also has diagrams as to how you sew up the sleeves)

Mrs Who used this pattern to build up the back:
For the ruffle, I single crocheted around the body opening, making sure my sc were an amount divisible by three. My ruffle pattern is *2dc, ch 1, 2dc (shell made), ch 1 skip 2 scs* across. On subsequent rounds, slip stitch into the center of the shell, do a ch 3 for initial dc, then dc, ch 1, 2dc, ch 1. In next shell, make shell (2dc, ch1, 2dc) ch 1.

I repeated this for five rounds, then put two chains between the shells for five rounds. Then put three chains between the shells for five rounds. Then, I changed the shells to *3dc, ch1, 3dc - ch 3* for several rounds, until I had to move up to *4dc, ch 1, 4dc* shells with an increasing number of chains between rounds - ending with (I believe) 4dc, ch 1, 4dc, ch 6. In the final round I simply sc in each stitch around.

(I hope she doesnt mind me posting that here Im not claiming that I wrote that bit!)

NOTE: make sure you start the foundation ch of the ruffle at the point where the sleeves are folded together.

I worked around the head opening following that pattern for 6 rows. Then, when you reach the point where you started the foundation ch, ch four, turn and begin working in rows instead of in the round. When you reach the point on the other side of the shrug where the sleeves are sewed together, ch 4 and turn. Continue working in rows until the back and sides are long enough to reach around to your front when wear it.
Fasten off, and buy/make a pretty broach to wear with it!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012 03:31:15 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dresser
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005 12:41:25 AM »

Good idea! That different size shelling, I mean.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jan_on_ice

oh how i wish i was a fish...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005 12:44:46 AM »

Oh wow! Shocked
That is awesome!!!

You wouldn't be able to make a pattern would you? Or just draw up a quick tutorial of how it's put together and what measurements and stitches you used? I would LOVE to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
ilovemyff
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005 04:54:08 PM »

It's so gorgeous. It really is. It looks so dainty and delicate and looks professionally done. My projects still have the look of an amateur. There's a similar thread going on in the knitting section too in terms of how it's constructed..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rocketlettuce

my mommy is craftier than yer mommy! rice pudding!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005 05:17:13 PM »

i think that's one of the best shrugs i've seen yet! i love how you can wear it different ways. very nicely done! i can't wait for the new Stitch n Bitch crochet book to come out. anyone know a due date for that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boleyn

Queen Anne Lackhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005 06:20:01 PM »

That is so fabulous!!! Please post a tutorial if you can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Triyal
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005 08:54:03 PM »

aw thanks guys Smiley its just the broach that makes it look elegant hehe

I'll try and come up with a tutorial asap. I just kinda winged it when i made it, I'll try and remember exactly what I did!

its kinda wonky too, i think it would be better blocked, but I've never done blocking before..I'm scared I might burn it (do you use heat to block??)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snacker
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005 09:00:54 PM »

Wooo....tantalizing crochet shrug.  Crochet is my passion but there is never great patterns like this out there...that is serious talent!  Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now have a snack!  Snack on!

etsy

flickr

wists
Qwerty
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005 09:02:10 PM »

wow you didn't use a pattern! you are talented, i'd love to be able to do that but i can barely follow patterns as it is Tongue

*waits patiently for tutorial*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jan_on_ice

oh how i wish i was a fish...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005 10:24:14 PM »

I'll try and come up with a tutorial asap. I just kinda winged it when i made it, I'll try and remember exactly what I did!

its kinda wonky too, i think it would be better blocked, but I've never done blocking before..I'm scared I might burn it (do you use heat to block??)

I don't think it looks wonky at all. I've never blocked anything either, so can't really help you on that one (although I did think that blocking only involved wetting it and pinning it out flat to dry??).
Thanks for offering to do a tute - I can't wait!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Truly Outrageous!!***
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Braised Short Ribs
Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
How to Make Macaroni and Cheese
Behind the Sandwich: Crispy Pork at Bark Hot Dogs
The Best Burger in New York City: The Brindle Room
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...