A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question on Beaded brooches  (Read 1098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

auzzi
« on: August 03, 2005 06:29:12 PM »

Does anyone know how to make the beaded brooches that are really popular at the moment and are everywhere in stores now? Or what kind of materials are needed to make them?
thanks,
auzzi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005 12:52:43 PM »

Just kinda "bumpin this up" a bit in case anyone else wants -- or has! -- any tips on this topic.

Seems to me that "how to make a beaded brooch" pretty much depends on "what it looks like" & on whether or not that helps determine *what technique* was used to make it.

One 'could' certainly create beaded brooches using any number of techniques: with a bead loom (sometimes called bead weaving) -- or bead stitching, also sometimes called offloom weaving -- or bead embroidery -- or even by making beaded bezels or beaded 'netting' to hold large cabochons.

[[ oops, edited to add still-another technique I just remembered : beads on wire, such as for what's usually called French beaded flowers, I believe?]]

In fact, judging solely from various tutorials I've seen online, almost any technique used to make a pendant or even sometimes a ring could be easily adapted for making a pendant -- it's mainly just a matter of securely gluing or securely sewing a suitable pin backing onto the reverse of the finished item.

So, auzzi --- or anyone else who knows what auzzi means? --- a pic or two or a good clear description would really really help. I must be totally outta-the-loop here as I haven't noticed any beaded brooches out there lately ... but then, because of the awful heat this past spring-summer I haven't managed to get out much at all!

« Last Edit: September 06, 2005 01:23:05 PM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
auzzi
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2005 08:09:21 AM »

the kinds of brooches i am interested in making look like this:

http://store.monsoon.co.uk/catalog/Welcome?catid=3

they are not composed of woven beads, so a loom is not useful to me. what concerns me is that it seems to me from the picture that large gem beads are glued down to a metal backing that resembles a flower or a circle. however, doesn't that mean the gems must be flat on the botton to be glued down properly? i have not seem flat gems that do not have holes for beading  in stores, nor have i seen the backings which are more complex than a simple brooch backing or one of those mesh dome things. i hope this clarifies the kind of brooch i am interested in making.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005 04:32:42 PM »

It appears that they are using something similar to a filigree finding.  Often when you use filigree, you will have to attached a pin back and use wire or beading thread to go through your beads.

Here's what filigree looks like  http://www.bjcraftsupplies.com/jewelryFindings/filigree01.asp
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005 07:44:29 AM »

Hi 706Designs -- great idea, adapting filigree findings!

OH and I finally did get auzzi's link to the brooch pics to come up.

The Winter pin does look glued, and I'd think something similar to those filigree findings might work.

However... for the flower & the semiprecious turquoise-y pins, sure looks to me as if many (maybe all) of the crystally things are held on with *prongs* ... ?

I'm gussing the prong-held crystals are similar to the pointy or flatback ones Swarovski makes -- or maybe they actually are Swarovski, tho normally if so a seller will specify that. 

As for beads -- one might be able to use real-gemstone or 'faux' (resin or other plastic) cabochons. I'm guessing the turquoise-y look stone on one of those pins is a cab. Cabs are flatbacked by definition, & about 99.9% of the time cab means 'no-hole' too.

And, "half-drilled" pearls, gemstone beads, or other beads aren't difficult to find.  I suppose they could be simply glued down onto a filigree finding, even though they're normally glued onto a cup-&-post type finding.

One thing about that turquoise-y look center stone pin though --
If you look real hard at the close-up ...
the round beads or pearls DO appear to be drilled 'all the way through.'
I think I can see one or two of the holes, and I do believe I'm actually seeing some sort of string or beading wire through the holes as well.
If so, the string or beading wire may run to/through the back of the filigreed finding & is knotted there (or perhaps glued) -- or, perhaps any needed knots are  hidden within the bead holes, as with a stretch bracelet or a no-clasp/ over-the-head necklace.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005 11:11:45 AM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Heidi Klum Voice Acts Heidi in Hoodwinked Too
How to Create Hard and Soft Shadows
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Green Lantern
10 Hottest Vampires and Werewolves of 2011
Thor Premiere
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...