A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Delaware knit/crochet roll call!  (Read 12014 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aadttsm

Just Breathe...

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2005 10:37:51 AM »

Hey all, I'm a Newark resident, UD student, Delaware crochet/knitting type and was just curious how many more are around.  Despite having taught a bunch of my residents knitting and crocheting last year, I still get weird looks when I'm spotted stitching in public.  Oh well, at least I'm lucky enough to live near Stitches with Style (if you're in Northern DE and haven't been there, you're crazy!)

Let's make this DE board a little more active.  ;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005 05:50:34 PM »

I went to UD also, though I graduated five years ago.  I'm in N. Wilmington and picked up knitting about three years ago when I quit smoking. 

And I'm crazy cause I haven't been to that knitting store.  I can't figure out how to get there from here.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trust yourself.  You know more than you think you do.  -Dr. Spock
aadttsm

Just Breathe...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005 07:12:00 AM »

Do you have the address for the old in-house store or the new one at Polly Drummond?  'cause if you can get to Kirkwood highway, then you can get to Polly Drummond road, and it's in a shopping center on that road.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tagurity
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005 08:24:50 AM »

I knit! I actually attended a few Delaware Knitters Guild meetings, but classes on Thursday evenings negated going to the meetings!  I can't crochet for the life of me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kati
metamurph
Lifeguarding the gene pool!

Blinkie worm!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005 08:34:33 AM »

I've been learning to knit and crochet for a few months now. I live in N. Wilm. and I know of a few knitters who meet in the Brandywine Hundred Library Cafe at 7:00 on Tuesday nights. I hope to be there next week, since my last AC Moore knitting class is tomorrow night.

I'm also always in Newark, since I work at UD. I've never been to that yarn store in Polly Drummond center, either. Love to go and have a look, though!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Need a sewing pattern? Check out my Etsy:

http://singlebutcrafty.etsy.com
tagurity
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005 08:43:04 AM »

I've been learning to knit and crochet for a few months now. I live in N. Wilm. and I know of a few knitters who meet in the Brandywine Hundred Library Cafe at 7:00 on Tuesday nights. I hope to be there next week, since my last AC Moore knitting class is tomorrow night.

Tuesday nights, eh?  I'm google-ing it right now to see how far it is because I would love to join a craft group (especially one that doesn't conflict with work and school).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kati
haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005 11:16:52 AM »

I'm also always in Newark, since I work at UD. I've never been to that yarn store in Polly Drummond center, either. Love to go and have a look, though!

Can anyone go or is it a private group of friends?  If so, do you need to RSVP?  If you have a contact number or email address, please post!  I used to knit with a group of friends but the group kinda got lost in the schedule craziness that we call life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

metamurph

Blinkie worm!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005 11:30:54 AM »

Can anyone go or is it a private group of friends?  If so, do you need to RSVP?  If you have a contact number or email address, please post!  I used to knit with a group of friends but the group kinda got lost in the schedule craziness that we call life.

As far as I know, anyone can go! I found the original info from a post at www.knittersreview.com, and I showed up one night and there were two others there. The lady who kind of moms the group is named Jo. From what I understand too, it's very informal, no dues, no roll call, no rsvp - just show up with your stuff and work on projects and chat. It's also not unheard of to have only one or two people show. I plan to be there next Tuesday, though (Oct. 4th).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tagurity
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005 12:08:35 PM »

I think I'm going to try to meet up there on the 4th (work permitting).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kati
aadttsm

Just Breathe...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005 07:59:48 AM »

We've been trying to get something going on UD's Newark campus too... for those of us who don't have cars (or driver's licenses).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tagurity
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005 09:13:42 AM »

We've been trying to get something going on UD's Newark campus too... for those of us who don't have cars (or driver's licenses).
yeah, but that is limited to UD students, right?  Most UD events require you to be a student or only allow 1 or 2 guests per current student.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kati
metamurph

Blinkie worm!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005 09:44:53 AM »

yeah, but that is limited to UD students, right?  Most UD events require you to be a student or only allow 1 or 2 guests per current student.

It doesn't have to be an official UD event. Lots of people come to campus and use places like the library to meet. There are study rooms with doors in the library itself and a common area with tables where people often gather to just hang out and talk. I've always been partial to the patio outside the library, except when the weather's cold and the smokers are out in earnest. I imagine if you just use the public areas it should be fine.

UD is so big that no one notices or cares whether or not you're affiliated (unless you try to use some of the services that are reserved only for students, staff, and faculty). No one's going to kick you off campus for not being a student, etc. Promise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenncat117
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005 09:31:21 AM »

I just taught myself how to knit and would love other people to knit with! Smiley  I go to UD too, but I have a car on campus.  I also have an lj, that doesn't get updated much but I keep up with checking the communities and things.  <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aadttsm

Just Breathe...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005 05:03:37 PM »

I've never even HEARD of that guest policy.  In my life.  And I'm from a UD-alum-and-employee family (and am an employee myself).

Anyone can join student groups; we have plenty of random non-students in the theatre group I'm on the board for.  If there was a policy like that, I'd just forego it and have the get-together at the Newark Free Library or Brew Ha Ha or something.

There was a post about getting a group going on the U)of_D LJ community a few weeks back.  Maybe we should try to get a meet-up going again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aquariann
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005 01:27:48 PM »

I knit, too, thanks to metamurph there. Cheesy I'm in slower lower, though, so those meetings would be too far to drive to on Tuesday nights for me. I wish there were more knitters down here. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when my wings finally tatter and fall, drown me in the sea.
but for now, float with me at aquariann.com

*find my fantasy art on magnets, bookmarks, cards, and more at my Etsy shop*
Marshma11owPeep

knit . . . purl . . . smeg up

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2005 08:30:03 AM »

Hi All!

It's nice to see a few Delaware based Craftster folks.  I live in North Carolina, but will be moving to Delaware in February since I'm taking a job at UD.  I learned how to knit last year and am trying to expand my skills so that I can produce more than "variations on a rectangle."   Smiley  I'd be interested in joining a group or taking a class.  Do any yarn stores there offer them?

If anybody has some advice on housing, I'd love for you to PM me.  I'm leaning toward renting a house or townhouse for a year so we can get a feel for the area and know where we want to live permanently.  Right now we are trying to decide if we should live in Newark or Wilmington.  Or is there someplace else we should consider?  The BF has a travel job and will need to commute to the Philadelphia airport quite a bit.  Would that be easier from Wilmington or would doing that make my commute to Newark really unpleasant?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
metamurph

Blinkie worm!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006 05:20:58 PM »

I work at UD too and commute daily from N. Wilmington. It's about a half-hour to campus, and I generally leave about 6:45 in the morning (I drop my niece off at the bus stop, and tend to get to work REALLY early). I've found that the later it gets, the worse the traffic. I guess that goes without saying.

I've always considered N. Wilm. the halfway point between Newark and the airport. It's about the same either way, give or take a few miles. I'd love to move down to Newark sometime this year, though. I don't need to go to the airport much.

Anyways, welcome to UD! I'm in the ILL office in Morris Library, so look me up when you get in. That goes for the rest of y'all too - always a pleasure to meet crafty folk.  Grin

Karen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadySpankington
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006 02:24:46 PM »

Hi everyone! I've been knitting about 6 years ago, but just moved to DE last year. I've been doing the rounds (Stitches with Style, Yarn Garden, Wool Gatherring, Vulcan's Rest).

I have this crazy feeling that I'm going to spend all year trying to come up with crazy cosplay knit stuff for Otakon.

So then, yay for knit crafts in Delaware!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006 10:17:23 AM by LadySpankington » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amcochrane
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2006 07:55:36 AM »

hELLO!
jUST wanted to say hello to other delaware knitters out there!
Glad to see there are some of us out there anyways Smiley

I am a self taught knitter but not very advanced - just taking it slow and figuring things out as i go.  working on a handbag for my sister at the moment - it should be cute when finished!  yeah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
black_buffalo
Crafty Climatologist!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006 06:39:49 AM »

I know no one has posted here for a while, but I just came across this topic.  I am a grad student at UD, and one of the other girls in my office (craftster name: tjive) and I are just starting to work our way through the book Stitch and Bitch.  We started knitting at the same time, and have pretty much given a scarf to every single person we know! 

It would be fun to have a DE knitalong, and everyone post pics of what we are doing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tjive

I am Mojo Jojo!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006 08:05:25 AM »

REPRESENT!!!!  WOOT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-tianna
haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006 07:37:14 PM »

I know no one has posted here for a while, but I just came across this topic.  I am a grad student at UD, and one of the other girls in my office (craftster name: tjive) and I are just starting to work our way through the book Stitch and Bitch.  We started knitting at the same time, and have pretty much given a scarf to every single person we know! 

It would be fun to have a DE knitalong, and everyone post pics of what we are doing!

oh, I would be up for that!  I have both stitch'n'bitch books.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FabulousErin

Philly Representin!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2006 12:26:56 PM »

Hi all my fellow Delawarians!

My name is Erin and I'm 22. I just graduated from college in Philly. I've lived in DE my whole life.

I've been working part time at A.C. Moore for two years now. And since I started working there, I taught myself (with the help of SnB) to knit last winter. I also taught myself to crochet. And now that I have SnB Happy Hooker, I learned how to crochet PROPERLY.

Anyhow, my employee discount has been feeding my yarn obsession (as well as my beading, scrapbooking, candy making, and school art supplies obsessions!) Stop by A.C. Moore and see me, I'm soon to be the blonde girl at the custom framing counter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Whatever you are, be a good one." [Abraham.Lincoln]
metamurph

Blinkie worm!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2006 06:14:15 AM »

Anyhow, my employee discount has been feeding my yarn obsession (as well as my beading, scrapbooking, candy making, and school art supplies obsessions!) Stop by A.C. Moore and see me, I'm soon to be the blonde girl at the custom framing counter.

Fun! I work at the Hancock Fabrics right next door. All the shopping center needs now is a coffee shop for crafty get-togethers and the like.

KK
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wolfybrie
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2006 06:25:06 AM »

Oh wow, all these UDel knitsters. I'll have to find you guys sometime when I get there this fall.

Michaels stinks for me because I work there, and know when everything is on sale... So I buy so many things I don't need. The only other yarn store close to me is in PA, and I'm 99% sure they are incredibly overpriced on everything there and I'd be better off buying my yarn online with shipping costs...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachellevine
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007 07:02:11 PM »

I'm a crocheter from Hockessin.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aadttsm

Just Breathe...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007 11:06:38 AM »

Knit/Crochet/other from Newark here.  I'm now a UD full-time employee, so I'm on campus all the time.  It'll be great to see other crafters around campus!

Has anyone been to the new Stitches with Style?  Apparently they have a new owner and have revamped a bit.  I was just curious if anyone had checked it out!  (and for those of you that didn't know about it yet, it's an independent fancy-yarns store in Newark/Pike Creek area)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadySpankington
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007 10:23:49 PM »

I went to Stiches with Style last weekend. The store is layed out different, better organized and just overall nicer. The whole backroom is now for clearance, and there seemed to be quite a lot of it. And their email mailing list is even nicer.

All they need to do is sell Manos and Koigu and I'll move in next door!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aadttsm

Just Breathe...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007 05:16:20 AM »

Wow, I am so excited to go check it out!  Darn my 8 a.m. - 10 p.m. work schedule this week!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizzy_d
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2007 02:40:02 PM »

I live in Wilmington and am so happy Linda took over SWS.  I haven't been yet since she took over but can't wait.

I would love to have a kniitting group in downtown/Trolley Square area some weeknight.  Anyone interested??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007 03:28:25 PM »

I'm UD class of '75. I knitted all through a double major in English and History.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
danam2007
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2009 05:25:38 AM »

Dang!  I'm almost as far south as you can get in Delaware!  I heard about the Stitch shop and will be making a road trip sometime in the near future.
Dana in Dagsboro
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 13/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 3/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 14/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 4/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 2/15
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...