A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Flower scarf (w/ pics and tutorial)  (Read 16927 times)
Tags for this thread: scarf , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SparkleHorse
The Green Fairy

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2005 11:48:19 AM »

Ok, here is my very first craftster project post!! Now - with a tutorial!!

I saw a scarf like this from Minette and they wanted $104 for it. *choke* (you can see it here: on=1&keywords=minette" target="_blank">http://www.fashionvault.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_descripti on=1&keywords=minette). For about $20, I made one myself.  My hope is to do them in many colors and give them as gifts. And sell them. And make more for all the seasons - I'm doing snowflakes now.

This is how I made it:

I looked all over for flower patterns and most of the ones I found I doctored up to make work for my purposes. If you know how to do pansies, they'd look nice. I can't do pansies to save my freakin' life. The come out ruffly! Anyway, flowers that work well for this don't have a lot of open work spaces. Fat, thick flowers work best.

#1 - for the round-petal flowers:

Crochet thread and hook size 5; whatever brand you like is fine, but get mercerized cotton.  You can make the middles a different color than the rest if you like.The directions below point you in the direction to do that. I didn't make the middles a different color on this particular scarf, but I will for the next one.

Starting with center color, ch 5.

Round 1: 15 tr in 5th ch from hook. Join to top of starting chain.

Round 2: Sc in same place as sl st, * 3 dc in next tr, sc in next tr. Repeat from * around. Join and fasten off if you are using a different color for the middle and petals. If you are using the same color for the whole thing, continue without fastening off.

Round 3:  Attach other color to any sc, ch 3, * 2 tr in next dc, 3 tr in next dc, 2 tr in next dc, dc in next sc. Repeat from * around.

Round 4: Sl st to 3rd tr of any tr group, ch 4, tr in same place, * 5 d tr in next tr, 2 tr in next tr, holding back on hook the last loop of each dc, make dc in each of the next 5 sts, thread over and draw through all loops on hook (cluster), 2 tr in next tr. Repeat from * around. Join and fasten off.

for the round flowers, I simply made your basic crochet round

Chain 2.
rnd 1:  6 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Sl st in first sc, to join.
rnd 2:  ch 1, 2 sc in ea sc around. Sl st in first sc, to join.
rnd 3:  ch 1, (sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc) around. Sl st in first sc, to join.
rnd 4:  ch 1, (sc in ea of next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc) around. Sl st in first sc, to join.

if you want to make a larger circle, follow the instructions below, for additional rounds.

Additional Rnds: For each new round, add 1 extra sc stitch to the number of sc stitches between increases (an increase is done by making 2 sc in one stitch). For example, round 5 would have 3 sc between increases then round 6 would have 4 sc between increases and so on.

For the pointy-petal flowers

Begin with the basic circle from above.

first petal:
row 1: ch 1, hdc in same st as joining; 2 hdc in next st; turn

row 2: ch 1, 2 hdc in each hdc, turn

(For hdc dec, [yo, draw up lp in st indicated] twice, yo, and draw through all 5 lps on hook

row 3: ch 1, hdc dec over first 2 hdc, hdc in next hdc, hdc dec over last 2 hdc, turn

row 4: ch 1, hdc dec twice, turn

row 5: ch 1, hdc dec, fasten off

Some of the flowers are happy accidents, but went something like this:

Start with basic round

row 1: [ch 5, sk 1 st, sc in next st] around

row 2: [ch 7, sc in 3rd ch of the 5-ch sp] around, fasten off

After I made all the flowers, I took a tapestry needle threaded with a complimentary color to the flower and made simple in and out stitches in whatever pattern I thought looked nice.

When I made about 30 flowers, I overlapped them slightly and hand-sewed together with matching thread. Viola! Scarf is done.

Next time I will:
- use a different color for the center
- be more careful working stitches and ends in because the way I made it, the back of the flower has to look as nice as the front

Happy hooking!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005 08:59:42 AM by SparkleHorse » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But why don't you scream now?" Alice asked, holding her hands ready to put over her ears again.

"Why, I've done all the screaming already," said the Queen. "What would be the good of having it all over again?"
BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005 11:49:52 AM »

Nice!
This is the sort of thing that make me wish I could crochet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Whiskey
Crafts fueled by Whiskey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005 12:44:34 PM »

This is absolutely gorgeous!  Makes it that much sweeter that you made it versus paying $150+. 

It's true a scarf like this does make you wish you could crochet!

Whit
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tiki Goddess
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005 01:00:50 PM »

There's the Sparkley girl!

I've already said that I think that scarf is SUPER DUPER CUTEY CRAFTALICIOUS!!  So now, I'm putting my comments out here for the world to see!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
koi

crochet is my thing!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005 05:00:42 PM »

I love it!  Want to make one in pink/burgundy/yellow! 
Understandble flower pattern? Please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amethyst
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005 05:15:17 PM »

It's beautiful Smiley

It would also look great as a fringe on a blanket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

koi

crochet is my thing!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005 11:44:48 PM »

thanks for the tutorial!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AshGav
Dance like no ones watching

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005 11:47:17 PM »

Wow i wish i could understand a pattern i am kinda teaching myself how to crochet but i can only do a chain and what i think is called a single? Very cool scarf i want it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm Straight NOT Narrow
Rainbows make me happy
SparkleHorse
The Green Fairy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005 06:34:03 AM »

thanks everybody for lookin at my scarf and for your compliments! (it's darn scary to do this first post!)

it took me a lot of tries to get these right. i had to pull out so many and start over. but if you know the basics - chain, single, double, and slip stitch - and you have access to a reference that will tell you what directions like 'hdc dec' mean, then you're golden.  i use maggie righetti's book 'crochet in plain english' but i think any basic crochet book is good to have.

if you guys make one, or try one, i want to see it! let me know if you have problems.

happy hooking!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But why don't you scream now?" Alice asked, holding her hands ready to put over her ears again.

"Why, I've done all the screaming already," said the Queen. "What would be the good of having it all over again?"
justwantacraft
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005 07:56:37 AM »

Great Job turned out so nice. Reminds me of sand dollars Thanks for doing a tutioral too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
FullyRaw Fruit Popsicle Recipe
How to Make a Gluten Free Chocolate Mousse
No Bake Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe
Lemon-Ginger-Mint Cookies Recipe
4 Great Bacon Desserts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...