A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bob & Weave KAL (Knitty Winter '04)  (Read 1722 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stickysweetfun

only slightly faster than a one-legged armadillo

View Profile WWW
« on: September 22, 2005 07:45:15 PM »

After months of lusting after all you fabulous Craftster knitters for months, I finally taught myself how last week.  (YAY!)  And, like all beginners, I'm ambitious.   Grin  I've only got the requisite scarf, a pair of armwarmers, and a few odd cat toys under my belt, but I've got a hankering for a knitted throw. 

Bob & Weave to the rescue!  It can easily be altered to blankie-size, and I've got a bag full of $1 Target yarn that's begging for a purpose.  (And I can learn how to drop stitches without making a mess of the whole thing.)

I figured I'd start my very first knitalong, in case anyone else wanted to join in on the fun.  Also, because it'd be nice to have some folks to pester for answers when I'm stuck (as I'll inevitably be).   Wink

Bob & Weave pattern, Knitty 10 -->
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTbobweave.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel7383
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005 11:42:17 PM »

That's really pretty. If I can figure out a way to make it without the ribbon ends sticking out I'm in. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liquorice
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005 11:52:35 PM »

This is one of my favourite patterns from knitty! I would love to join, but since I just got a small and very playful kitten, I dont think Ill be starting anything for a while. It will probably just get ruined. I did try out the pattern, the dropped stitches are actually pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Good luck with the throw and please post pics of your end result!

That's really pretty. If I can figure out a way to make it without the ribbon ends sticking out I'm in. Smiley

The ribbons sticking out is my favourite part!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You do it to yourself, you do, and that's why it really hurts.
You do it to yourself, just you, you and no one else.

Radiohead
stickysweetfun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005 12:26:10 AM »

Actually, the tasselly bits are tied on afterwards.  I may put tassels on mine, but not those huge foot-long ones!  Maybe just some nice four-inchers.

I've cast on already, and since I'm determined to hate myself, I switched up the pattern a bit.  I'm using Target's cheapo beige boucle on US#8 straights -- and instead of dropping a stitch every 5, I'm dropping every 7.  And I CO a million repeats (as many as would nicely fill my needle, more like twentysomething), entirely ignorant of how stitches expand after that first row.
This makes me mad.  I may not have enough room to even work the first row.   Angry   Poop.
I'll see if I can make it work, haha!  If not, a trip to Home Depot may be in order, to make some two-foot needles.   (HEY!  Do they make needles that long already?)

YEAH!  IT FIT!

And Liqourice, you should do it!  Kitten be damned!  ...but then, my own little monster is almost a year old already (see avatar, heehee) and he's not nearly as...    No, he's still bonkers and psychotic and utterly adorable.  I can just take my eyes off him, now.   Wink  But you should do it anyways!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005 12:50:16 AM by stickysweetfun » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bente
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005 12:34:57 AM »

http://bente.blogger.de/20050310/

here is my Bob & Weave

The knitting is very easy, the weaving is disgusting Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists: http://www.wists.com/fraudeutz
The only difference between tattooed and untattooed people is that tattooed people are way more cool and can kick some ass *gg*
stickysweetfun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005 12:57:57 AM »

Bente, that is beautiful!

And yes, I'm silently dreading the weaving, especially since my only tool will be a crochet hook.  But I have a bizarre love of that kind of patient tedium, so it probably won't be -too- bad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liquorice
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005 02:38:37 AM »

That is absolutely gorgeous Bente! It's definitely temping....

Kitten be damned!  ...but then, my own little monster is almost a year old already (see avatar, heehee) and he's not nearly as...    No, he's still bonkers and psychotic and utterly adorable.  I can just take my eyes off him, now.   Wink  But you should do it anyways!

My kitten is only about six and a half weeks old. My dad found her at the side of the road and I completely fell in love with her. Luckily, so did my housemates so we decided to take her in. Her name's Lola. She still sleeps a lot, but when she's awake nothing is save. She's getting braver, bolder and crazier every minute! I haven't knit a stitch since I got her about two weeks ago. Afraid that she will tear it apart and also too busy playing and cuddling with her. But I will knit again! And I will knitt the bob & weave! I hereby promise
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radiohead
stickysweetfun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005 03:36:32 PM »

Yay, Liquorice!

After three rows, two things have become apparent.  I will need more than the 4 skeins of yarn I have, and US#8 needles may be a wee bit impractical for a project of these proportions.  I'm halfway through one skein already and I have....  maybe an inch.  More like 3/4 of an inch.

If it wouldn't make the DBF's eyes bug out in horror, I'd rip it out right now and start over on my #13's.  I should just go out and buy some damn #10's, but my budget (and my obstinance, haha) won't allow it.  Hmmm....  blatant denial that Project Blankie will take way more time/yarn than anticipated, or obssessive compulsion about getting the damn thing started right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liquorice
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005 02:28:23 AM »

Hi Stickysweetfun,

I was wondering how you were getting along with the bob and weave! Have you decided what to do? To continue the way you were going or did you rip it and start again? Please keep us updated!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radiohead
stickysweetfun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005 07:03:53 PM »

I didn't forget about you!  I just kept forgetting to take pictures.  Grin  I ended up doing it US#10's (Thank you, DBF!) and dropping a stitch every ten.... so, k9, drop, k9, etc.

Here it is about three rows into the second skein.  With one skein making about five inches, it'll probably take about ten or fifteen skeins to get it the size I want -- but at $1 a skein, that's still WAY less than what it would have been with the recommended yarn.

I really have no clue how wide it will end up being!  Cheesy  I think it will be a little more than four feet wide...  it really looks comical when it's all bunched up on one needle.  It looks like a window valence, lol.

Purled side, with about three inches or so of the drop-stitch "ladder."

Knit side, with the purple "funky fringe" that I plan on using for the CS.  Since the CS yarn is so thin, I'll probably use three strands (as pictured) and knot them together every so often so they stay put.

I'm not -terribly- pleased with either color, but I'm a cheapie, so it'll do.  BUT for this being my third project ever, I'm very happy.   The only (slight) issue is that I think I've dropped a couple of stitches that I wasn't supposed to (boucle is an absolute bastard), but since I can't even find the dropped stitches to pick them up again, I'm debating how much I really care.   Wink 

What about everyone else?  Has anyone else started yet?  How far along are you?  What yarn/needles do you plan on using?  Tell meeeeeee....  Grin
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005 07:15:23 PM by stickysweetfun » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tie a Military Bugle Braid
How to Make Earrings - Advanced Earrings
How to Make Earrings - Basic Earrings
How to Make Earrings
How to Refashion Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...