A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I am so upset....I need some craft therapy  (Read 2683 times)
Tags for this thread: hamster , pet_accessories  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juliel85
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Serial Crafter

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 22, 2005 02:32:18 PM »

My beloved dwarf hamster Rex was put to sleep today.  He had some kind of tumor and the doc said if he didn't do it he would just get worse and worse and die slowly, so right now Rex is waiting to be buried in my fridge.  I'm not ashamed to say it...I cried like a baby.  Still crying, actually.  My boyfriend got Rex for me when I was very sick my freshman year of college...he was a great friend to have through all of that.
Anyway, this might sound weird, but I want to make a kind of "shrine" to him or some kind of memorial project...nothing too creepy, but I was wondering if anyone else had done this for a pet and wanted some ideas.  I think it would be a good way to remember him and help get over it.
Yes, I know he's just a hamster, but I love animals and I loved him and I need a way to deal with this.  Thanks craftsters!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DrunkKitty
Mischief managed!

I am the girl anachronism!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005 02:37:14 PM »

I don't have too much to offer in the way of a craft, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am. A few years ago my mom's beloved pet hamster "Hammy" passed away and we were all heartbroken. It doesn't matter what kind of pet he was, all that matters is that you loved him!

Maybe you could make some sort of picture frame, or do something with a shadow box? Like put in some of the toys he liked or make a Sculpy replica? Sorry I'm not more help.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!
rocknroll

I've been away, but now I'm back!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005 02:45:57 PM »

Yeah, people make shrines to honor dead animals all the time. you should research some Day of the Dead shrines for inspirations, or just make whatever you feel like....there's no wrong way to do it.

and sorry about Rex.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultraviolet
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005 07:23:31 AM »

So sorry about Rex Sad One of my rats, Brie, is dying of a brain tumor as we speak. I recently went to a Wine & Craft event at a nearby craft studio and the project of the evening was embellished picture frames. I made a bright yellow picture frame with bright colorful little beads sprinkled over it and it now has a totally adorable picture of Brie in it. (I posted the pic to the thread with rodent pics). Anyhow, I feel a little better knowing that when she is gone I will at least have this really nice framed picture of her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
sacrdplce

Roadrunner ... the coyote's after you ...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005 08:07:32 AM »

julie185- I'm sorry to hear about Rex.

When I was 5 or 6, I knew a teenage girl down the street who had a little graveyard for her pets in her backyard. She made little painted headstones for each of them. It was under a small tree, so it felt protected. It was a quiet peaceful place, and I could tell that they were much loved.

Maybe a place like that would be nice for Rex?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.           Gilda Radner
UkeBoy

Lets all be the lives of the parties!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005 08:19:10 AM »

I am so sorry about your hamster.  Maybe you could incorporate some of his favorite things into the shrine...a wheel, a ball....whatever he liked to play with.  *hugs*

-Sean  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Always dress for Paradise...you may have to board the ship today!"
Flareon
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005 08:34:53 AM »

I'm sorry about your Rex. Embarrassed

Don't feel badly about crying.  Hamsters and their owners can get very attached.  You gave him an excellent life for a while and that's what matters. 

As for crafts, maybe you can make a pillow and sew on either a hamster patch or embroider one yourself.  Then you can fall asleep with the memories your beloved pet. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sacrdplce

Roadrunner ... the coyote's after you ...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005 08:48:58 AM »

...maybe you can make a pillow and sew on either a hamster patch or embroider one yourself.  Then you can fall asleep with the memories your beloved pet.

Good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.           Gilda Radner
juliel85
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Serial Crafter

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005 09:41:31 AM »

Those are all great ideas, and thanks for all the sympathy!  We gave him a "burial at sea" last night in a scenic pond by the dorm where I live.  The graveyard was not an option because I do live in a dorm, but that was my first choice.  I bought a picture frame last night and I'm going to make a collage/memorial for him.  I also just realized that Rex fathered 4 litters of children and my friend Kristi has one of those litters...she might give me one of the babies.  Thanks again for all the kind words and ideas!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluecat158
bad influence

aww... i wanted to explode...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005 07:58:54 PM »

so sorry to hear about your Rex  Cry  my Sammy had to be put down because of a bad tumor on his foot.  i made up something like this for him:  http://www.expressiveprints.com/tributecollage_myforeverpet.html

have a pic of him, and x-stitched the poem, and framed it.  i cried for days when we had to put him down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You haven't touched it?  Something is broken and it's not your fault?"

"I know - I'm scared too!"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Baybayin Artist Ameurfina Nazario
Meet Ebru Artist Siddi Zubeyde Atan
Learn About Painter Marta Sanchez
Meet Glass Calligraphist Hayat Gul
Meet Muralist Michelle Ortiz
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...