A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Under-eye circles  (Read 11483 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craft-matic
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004 01:05:55 PM »

If the circles are purplish, then any topical anti-inflammatory will help restrict the flow of blood to the area.  However, most of these are steroid-based, which can harm the eyes if used to close to the eye or for too long.  If she uses one of those, she should limit it to important occasions.  Some of the hemmerhoid creams don't have shark liver oil; hydrocortisone cream is another option.  Anti-inflammatory herbal preparations may be a bettter long-term choice, such as witch-hazel, which has long been used for arthritis.  Anything cold will help, too.  I have puffiness under the eyes, and I swear by my gel-filled eye mask. 

If they are browner, then it's pigment in the skin.  Skin lighteners could help, but that's drastic and may not be safe around the eyes.  However, citrus, especially grapefruit, has been said to help with pigmentation like that, so she may want to try citrus-based skin care products. 

In either case, she should start now taking care of the skin around her eyes.  If her skin is unusually thin there, then it will age faster.  The skin around the eyes has no oil glands, so she should make sure to hydrate it twice a day. 

For concealer, Physician's Formula makes yellowish and greenish tints; yellow cuts purple tones.  But it comes out of the tube far too intense.  She should buy the brush on kind, and mix a tiny dab of it in with a foundation or a thick eye cream. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
craftykid
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004 09:46:32 PM »

You could also mash a banana as thin as you can and put it under your eyes and on the rest of your face too for 5 minutes and then rinse it off... It makes your skin softer and reduces the under-eye circles.

At least, that's what my friend told me after she's done it a couple times...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graveflower
girl from 7-11

straight boys are such a drag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004 08:17:48 PM »

people come up with the weirdest ideas
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JediEmpressMel
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004 12:10:42 AM »

Haven't you seen Miss Congeniality?
 Preparation H!   Grin

Preparation H is supposed to help with puffiness, not dark under-eye cirles.

I also can't imagine why anyone would put that stuff near their EYES when it's not even made for that. No thanks. I think I'd rather just live with my circles than risk eye damage from that stuff. ugh.

Touche de eclat by Yves Saint Laurant is actually supposed to be AMAZING at hiding underye circles. It's a bit pricey, but supposedly lasts awhile.

Dark circles are indeed genetic. It doesn't matter how much sleep some people get, [myself included], because we always have them there.
I *always* have purple circles under my eyes. The Wet N Wild concealers work well for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2004 09:08:11 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd always thought the Preparation H was used to reduce wrinkles (around the eyes especially), not to do anything about coloration under the eyes ("circles").  It works by shrinking the tissues (any place you put it)... don't know exactly how it does that though.  (And from what Ive heard, it was quite popular in the Hollywood community, before Botox anyway).

It could be that one of it's effects is to shrink blood vessels, and if that's true it might also work to reduce the purplish coloration also, or somehow be anti-inflammatory?

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
kaleidoscope

never grow old~*

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2004 11:57:53 AM »

hey guys- here's a tip- in all drug stores you can buy yellow conceler, it works to cancel out the purplish tint. Then just put regular conceler over it with some powder, and all better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyLea14
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004 06:19:21 PM »

Thanx alot erbody..I've read all of your tips and now my lil sis dos'nt know what one to choose Tongue lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2004 08:06:53 AM »

Not to add to the confusion, but I've read that grated potato works well.  This is from www.free-beauty-tips.com:

Treatment for Dark Under Eye Circles
Grated potatoes can lighten under-eye circles. Potatoes contain an enzyme called catecholase, which is used in cosmetics as a human skin lightener.

Run one spud through your food processor and stuff the raw mash into a piece of cheesecloth. Apply to the area directly beneath your eye don't let the potato juice come in contact with the eye itself and leave for 15 to 20 minutes.
Wipe away the starchy residue

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Poprocksandcoke
child of the spookie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2004 07:38:50 PM »

Preperation H is for hemroids. I wouldn't advise using on your face. I have a pale face so I just put a little baby podwerunder my eyes then rub it in evenly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your mouth is likean open sore, where kisses rot and die
weRnotALONE
The All Powerful Zippy

yumm... talking muffins...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2004 11:30:30 PM »

acctually, I know that Conan O'brien used it under his eyes when he first started working and had really weird hours. So his makeup person reccommended it.

I wouldn't say you should use the same tube for the many purposes of preperation h, lol I'd clearly buy a new tube, cover it in contact paper, and write for e"yes only, not your bum!"

I have those dark circles too. My allergist perscribed something, and it looks better when I take it regularly, but there is always a slight tinge under my eyes no matter what. depending on people's faces, sometimes the shadow from their brow makes it look worse.

Wish your sister good luck with all these crazy remedies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author James Loewen
Meet Author Vincent Flynn
Message to Librarians from Mac Barnett
Reynolds Price Reveals Her Motto
Blair Underwood Talks About In the Night of the Heat
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...