A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dayton Area Craft/Thrifting  (Read 18495 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DorkasaurusRex
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2005 07:07:14 AM »

while creepy jesus and solid as a rock jesus are both catchy, according to my mother, his official name is "touchdown jesus"
I call him "the Jeez," a la Natalie Dee: http://www.nataliedee.com/080105/the-jeez.jpg

Has anyone mentioned the Salvation Army aka "Ohio's Largest Thrift Store." off of 675 yet?  Probably.  Sorry, I'm being lazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Then he asked,"Lord, what about when there was one set of footprints on one side and also a straight line with bootprints on one side and small round circles on the other?" The Lord replied, "Those were when I carried you, and we were joined by a pirate pushing a wheelbarrow."
motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2005 06:37:43 AM »

the one by the dayton mall?

I wasn't real impressed, last time I was there they did have some ok furniture though.

I'm not a big salvation army fan anyways. I preferr St. Francis on Wilington Pike
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lissalush
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2005 01:03:14 AM »

Hi, I'm in Dayton, well, Washington Township, actually! I spend a lot of time thrifting, I mostly go to Valley Thrift. They run $5.00 worth of free stuff coupons in the paper, it rules.

SO many things on this thread to talk about! I set up selling my crafts down at the flea market, usually Trader's World. In the summers I do pretty well, sometimes. I USED to do great, back in the Clinton years.

I'd love to find some crochet/knit pals. Actually, I'm wanting to form some type of local group of people who want to do craft shows together and stuff.

Oh, and the best time to go to The Salvation Army is Wed. for deals, since every color tag but one is half off, clothes and shoes. Tues. I think it's just one color, but also includes bric a brac. Village Discount does .50 tag day on Mondays, but I don't have much luck getting there early enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redpurse
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2005 10:15:39 AM »

When you say crochet/knit pals do you mean like a stitch-and-bitch type thing or are you wanting to get together to sell things.  I'd be all about a crafting group for fun but I don't have the time to make enough stuff to sell... I never get all the projects I want for myself done!  I actually live in Washington Township too... I'm at the new Hobby Lobby all the time!   Although I'm starting to feel a little guilty about it... is Hobby Lobby a WalMart-type operation that I should be against?  I can see how a Hobby Lobby in the area could negatively impact a small craft store (not that I really know of any small craft places in the area except yarn stores... Hobby Lobby can't even compete with the kickass stuff in some of the yarn stores I've been to).

My favorite thrifts are still the Goodwill on 725 and on Dorothy Lane in Kettering.  Kinda pricy for thrift but they're so clean and I've found stuff with tags still on them.  Very good shoe selections too! 

PS: Update on the ShopHop... my husband ended up winning a $50 gift card to Fiber Naturell down in Cincy.  I was so jealous watching him get $50 worth of yarn!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inspiring
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2005 10:40:27 AM »

I am in the dayton area and I am just getting into the whole craft show thing.  I just did my first show.  It was a very small thing, so I thought it would be a good way to ease into things.  It was good for the experience, and let me know what i need for the table and gave me setup ideas.  But I didn't sell a single thing.  I was not concerned about that though.  I am not sure there were even as many shoppers as there were vendors. 

I am excited to do a bigger show next time.  Once I have a little more inventory built up.  I do wood crafts/ furniture.  I paint them in different themes, and with different color schemes.  I would love to hear recommendations for any good craft shows that anyone has been a part of around here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saralynne
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2006 09:26:23 PM »

Hello! This is my first post and I just wanted to say hi to all the crafty people in the dayton area. I'm a seamstress and I knit and do other random crafty things. I live in West Carollton, and I've been to most of the craft stores in the dayton area.

Centerville has several independent yarn shops I like to visit when I've got some extra pocket money. They are building dayton's first Joann ETC store in the old kmart place on 725 east of the dayton mall.

There is a craft mall/ year-round craft show in miamisburg on alex rd a block north of 725 that has not been mentioned on this thread. Anyone intested in sharing a booth? I am. Email me... beep83 AT hotmail DOT com.

Also, Marcos papers in centerville is a fun place. I've got a friend who teaches classes there but I've never attanded one myself.

For scrapbookers... Cord Camera and Scrapbook Studio opened a little while back right next to michaels on 741/springboro pike across from the dayton mall. They have a huge clearance paper selection. *drool*

Til next time... Saralynne
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inspiring
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2006 07:52:54 AM »

Saralynne,

Could you please tell me more about this craft mall in miamisburg.  I have not heard about this place before.   
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wookiewoo
Wookiewoo! Wookie who? Wookiewoo!!!

No Meanies!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2006 08:01:33 PM »

Hello! This is my first post and I just wanted to say hi to all the crafty people in the dayton area. I'm a seamstress and I knit and do other random crafty things. I live in West Carollton, and I've been to most of the craft stores in the dayton area.

Centerville has several independent yarn shops I like to visit when I've got some extra pocket money. They are building dayton's first Joann ETC store in the old kmart place on 725 east of the dayton mall.

There is a craft mall/ year-round craft show in miamisburg on alex rd a block north of 725 that has not been mentioned on this thread. Anyone intested in sharing a booth? I am. Email me... beep83 AT hotmail DOT com.

Also, Marcos papers in centerville is a fun place. I've got a friend who teaches classes there but I've never attanded one myself.

For scrapbookers... Cord Camera and Scrapbook Studio opened a little while back right next to michaels on 741/springboro pike across from the dayton mall. They have a huge clearance paper selection. *drool*

Til next time... Saralynne

I'm interested in finding out more about the craft mall that you mentioned also.  I'm in the Dayton area and have been considering doing something like this too.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but there is a craft mall/store similar to what you described in Huber Heights called the Copper Horse.  My friend lives near there and found out they charge a minimum of $60 a month for a booth.  A little too pricey for us, since I have no clue if we'd sell anything near that.  I'm hopinig to find a place to consign.  They have some cute things in there from time to time.  Plus it's right next to a Goodwill.  Has anyone had much experience selling things locally?  Maybe I've missed that thread too! 

I've been on craftster a while, don't know why I never noticed the "local" boards before!!  Glad to meet all of you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lissalush
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2006 10:59:29 PM »

I think there's a DEFINITE need for us Dayton crafters to get together! I've never been to that craft mall on Alex Rd. I think mainly because I never see much advertising about it, or cars in the lot.

I think we need to form some sort of "Dayton Craft Mafia" group and have shows. I've done a few local art shows now, but I feel sort of like I'm the craft, and others are the "art," ya know? But if we were to share a booth at some of the local festivals it would be affordable for all of us. I'm just not sure how to work out the sharing part, since a lot of the juried things have rules about that.

But, the non-juried stuff tends not too, and lots of festivals, like the Americana Festival in Centerville, the Popcorn Festival, etc. are not, and splitting a $50-$100 booth fee 5 or 10 ways isn't so bad. Smiley

Plus, we can organize our own events. I've been finding some local bars tend to be open to this sort of thing!

If anyone is interested, PLEEEEASE send me a message and we'll network more. I KNOW we could get to the point where Dayton is hosting it's own Indie Craft Fairs!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lissalush
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2006 11:47:24 PM »

Ok, so I went ahead and created a myspace group for my idea:) Here's the bulletin I just posted about it!

I just started a new group devoted to Dayton crafty folks, so if you are crafty, know someone who is crafty, are in a band that thinks it would be fun to play at a crafty event, or if you like to buy crafty things, please join my group or pass the url onto others.

http://groups.myspace.com/getcraftyindaytonohio

What I want to accomplish is the organization of a Dayton-based group of people who make stuff to get together and sell their wares, either by having craft shows of our own, or sharing booths at festivals, or if this goes well, even having an actual store or website we all share someday.

And of course people from anywhere are welcome to join, if you are willing to travel to do shows and stuff. I set up at a few flea markets south of town, closer to Cincinnati really, and would love to find people to set up with (or at least next to!)

I'm really excited about getting this going! Please pass this along!
~Lissa Lush
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Picking the Right Panties For Your Body
3 Lightweight Hoodies For Spring Workouts
Picking Out the Perfect Sunglasses
How to Find the Right Size Shoe For You
Zoe Saldana Bares Her Abs in a Crop Top and Goes Bold in Hot Pink
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...