A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
327 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dayton Area Craft/Thrifting  (Read 18761 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redpurse
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2004 05:00:32 PM »

I'm in.  Since I'm new to the area, I don't have a lot of suggestions for where to go, but I'd love to help scope out some places.  It'd give me a good chance to get my bearings in the new 'hood  Grin 

BTW, my dad grew up in Greenville.  He came to visit me about a month ago and we went to Greenville for him to reminisce.  It's an excellent town.  We visited the cemetary for obvious reasons... it's the most incredible cemetary I've seen.  I took a gazillion pics.  I didn't get much of a chance to check out the shops there (like I said, with my pops) but it was a great town and the downtown was defintely thriving.  I had no less than 3 Maidrite burgers.... I was a bit of a piggly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2004 07:01:26 PM »

oooo, I'm in too! and i live right down the street from that Marco's...I can't believe I've never been!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redpurse
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2004 07:58:24 PM »

NynaeveAS, I just saw your cabinet on the misc projects board... I'm so envious... good work! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2004 05:05:30 PM »

Thanks! That was my fun-in-Lowe's year which happen to coincide with the closing of Ben Franklin's Crafts in Cross Point Center. 1995?  I had to have somewhere to put all the supplies I bought!  LOL I had to drive by it every day on the way home from classes so I just had to stop.  Who can pass by a craft store at 70% off.  I don't have the will power even close to say no to that.

OMG! I love the Salvation Army store by the Dayton Mall.  I got 4 place settings of Pfalzcraft dishes there for like $15.  My friend had that pattern and she sold me hers later so now I have like 12 place settings with all the serving pieces.  I found a great 1930s hat with hat pin there for $6 last Spring.  I like going there because it used to be a roller skating rink when I was a kid and the rink is still there in places.  It looks a lot smaller now.  Cheesy  You're right.  They seem to have great stuff sometimes.  I wonder if they just put out stuff whenever or if there's a certain day of the week they stock the floor. 

Sorry, if this sounded a bit nutty.  I just spent the last 24 hours in Columbus at Easton Town Center shopping.  I have a friend who lives right next to the town center so I went to visit on Wednesday and we ended up talking to late night.  She must have been dying at work today.  I needed a long nap to recover.  Easton is a great place to shop now and again but it is nicer ($$$) stores somewhat.  The Limited corp built it so it has all their stores like Victoria Secret and Bath & Body Works.  It's cool because there's a small section indoors and much larger area outside where the stores line narrow streets.  It's really nice and I did manage to get all my birthday gifts for the next year done.  Plus, if you go up that way, maybe you can stop at the 2 outlet centers on I-71 (before and at St.Rt.35) on the way back.  The one has a Pottery Barn Outlet, my weakness. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redpurse
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2004 05:40:51 PM »

I went to Marco's Paper today and injured myself!!  I had so much stuff in my left arm with my arm bent for so long that now my muscle is all tight and sore!  That place was great but it was almost too stressful for me today.  I've got so many paper craft ideas running through my head for X-mas that I kept getting inspiration for different things and now I've purchased a bunch of stuff and can barely remember what my great idea in the store was all about.  (It may sound like I'm griping, but I really had a great time Grin ).  I think the item that caused the most bodily harm was the 10lb stack of odd-shaped card-stock I got for $5!  Thanks for the amazing tip! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2004 01:29:21 PM »

That's the best thing in the store!  $5 for 10 pounds of scraps!  I always buy a box.  I've lucked into white vellum in the bottom of a box.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redpurse
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2004 04:42:13 PM »

I just spent 5 hours making a book for my mother-in-law for X-mas... thanks in great part to my new paper from Marco's!  I usually make/alter my own paper for projects because I'm so poor, so it was nice to have fancy paper to play with and mix with my own stuff. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2004 07:49:58 AM »

I was just at Easton myself...I like it, but it really is too pricey!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2004 02:11:36 PM »

Debbie Stollar (of Stitch N Bitch fame ) will be in Kettering tonight (south of Dayton) at the Books & Co. at 7pm.....YAY!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2004 05:03:40 PM »

Agh! I missed it!  Crap. I could have gotten my booked signed (with purchase of something else in the store).  I love that store.

Have you been down to Waynesville?  There is a store called the Fabric Shack there that has a lot of different fabrics.  Actually it's 2 store with the same name and same owner.  The one on Miami St. between Main and 3rd is the heavy fabrics for upholstery and such.  The one on the corner of Miami and Marvin is the "quilting" shop.  I love them both for fabric because they have a large variety.  The apholstery store is two floors that are packed.  The quilt store has tons of cotton fabrics.  I got some Michael Miller flannel there today which I couldn't find anywhere else.  However, it can get $$$.  Most quilt wiegh cotton fabric is about $7 to $8 per yard but the apholstery is priced as in Joanne's and Hancock.  Oh! If you want to hit the antique stores there, don't go on Monday as they are mostly closed then.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...