A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dayton Area Craft/Thrifting  (Read 18231 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2004 03:22:59 PM »

NynaeveAS- I haven't been to Waynesville (where is it?) Can you tell me about any close yarn stores that have affordable yarns? Knittique has specialty yarn that's just too fancy/expensive for me... Thanks for the tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2004 03:58:32 PM »

Waynesville is off St.Rt. 73, east from Springboro and I-75.
Here's a little map
http://www.waynesvilleohio.com/Directions.htm
and their website
http://www.waynesvilleohio.com/
The Fabric Shack has a site here but that isn't even close to all their fabrics.
http://www.fabricshack.com/

I haven't found a discount yarn place in a while.  Has anyone gone to the Yarn & Needle?  I haven't been there but found this review (below).  I'll try to stop by tomorrow when I'm nearby.  Sew-A Lot (232 North Main St Centerville, OH 45459, 937-433-7474) has an okay variety of yarn but not great prices.  They also have cotton fabric in the same price range as Fabric Shack.

"Yarn & Needle
49 S. Main Street
Centerville, OH 45459
937-433-0109
Submitted by Lisa Loftin
This lovely shop just opened in April 2003. It is located just a few minutes from I-675 in a south suburb of Dayton. It occupies the upstairs of Fox Cottage, an antique store. Marsha, the owner, currently stocks lots of good, basic yarns, such as Galway and Sirdar. She has a nice selection of novelty yarns, such as eyelash and ribbon, and some fine baby yarns as well. One of her more unique offerings are wooden knitting needles, milled in Maine, then sent to Russia where the beads on the ends are hand-painted. Classes for beginners as well as more experienced knitters are available. A comfy sofa and some arm chairs invite browsing, and Marsha is usually available for a good chat. She will be expanding into some additional upstairs space soon."
- http://knitting.about.com/library/bloh.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2004 08:33:55 PM »

Thanks! I was planning on checking out the Yarn & Needle this week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
buckeye_beck
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2004 06:39:48 AM »

Wow! It's great to see so many people excited about crafting in Dayton! I'm currently living in the south but grew up in Waynesville. I can't wait to get home for the holidays and check out some of the stores everyone's been mentioning. I majored in fashion design in college and the itch to create is never satisfied. I'm new to Craftster (this is my first post) and have been inspired by all of you. I definitely need to get busy crafting! Next time you're in Waynesville check out some of the art galleries - The Fish House Art Gallery http://www.fishhouseart.com/home.htm (on Main Street near Franklin) is very open to opportunities and I showed some work there a couple of years ago. The owner does a lot of fiber arts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Some people weave burlap into the fabric of our lives, and some weave gold thread. Both contribute to make the whole picture beautiful and unique." -Anon
redpurse
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2004 07:33:29 PM »

Hope you guys all had a nice holiday:)  I know we've discussed thrift shops in the area (Goodwill, Salvation Army...) but have any of you had any luck with local clothing consignment places?  I love shopping at Goodwill but I'd like to find someplace that does a little weeding for you already.  I really need some fun, cheap, funky tops for winter and haven't had much luck.  I found a place called New Enuf that was decent in Waynesville but earned points mainly for size selection and "work" clothes but loses points for uniqueness.  I've found a few places in the Yellow Pages but not really what I was looking for.  Plato's Closet in Centerville came the closest but (and maybe it was just the vibe I got from the workers) they seemed to cater more to the junior/teen crowd.  There was a place in the Kansas City area that I visited frequently called Arizona Trading Company that had the coolest stuff (and they took trades, obviously).  Anything like that here?  What about a Junior League Thrift?  They're a little stuffy but they always seem to have some good quality stuff. Any suggestions?  Also, I'd love to find a good place to find beads/bead-working materials (other than Michaels). 

Thanks for the help!  (Welcome to Craftster buckeye_beck)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2004 07:55:13 PM »

redpurse, there is a Bead Bayou across the street from the Dayton Mall in a corner in a shopping center...
nynaeve (sorry if i misspelled)-I checked out the yarn & needle and they were closed! at 4:30! grrr...they stay open late on Thurs. so maybe I'll have luck tomorrow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2005 12:26:58 PM »

ok, daytonians--anyone looking for a crafty-ish job? I just became the manager of a paint-your-own pottery studio and I need to hire some part time people...I'm looking for someone to work tues and thurs, either day shift (10-4) or evening (4-9) and maybe someone else to work some day shifts... PM me if your interested....or call the store at (937) 296-9621.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2005 09:12:37 AM »

Staralee - Where at?  I'm not looking for work but I am thinking of dragging my non-crafty girlfriends out some evening for dinner and some pottery painting.  They have no skills in the crafty world so I thought they may be able to handle that.  It's easier on times for us to meet in Dayton.  Anyway, as a manager, you should schedual a "Girls Night" thing there here you have chick flick movies and order in pizza, of course for a sitting fee or such + the pottery thing.  I've been to similar and a lot of women show up.  They love an excuss to leave their kids at home for once and actually paint without the constant call of "Mom!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2005 05:55:56 PM »

NynaeveAS- In Kettering, in the Town and Country shopping center (corner of Stroop and Far Hills (48)). And YES! you girls should definately come! we close at 9pm, so come by 7 so you have plenty of time to paint (when my friends and I paint, we take around 3-4 hours!)  I've thought about having something like that...right now, there's no studio fee for moms (or any women 18+) on Mondays, and moms get together to come sometimes...I've thought about a margarita night, with nachos and salsa and of course, margaritas! But before that, I've gotta get some more employees!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2005 08:47:55 PM »

Town and Country! Holy Crap! We were just there for New Years Eve!  How funny! Now I know I can get them there!  We were talking about going to Trader Joe's and Books & Co. sometime this month.  I sense a day trip coming....  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style a Casual School Outfit
Would You Wear This Outfit on Spring Break?
Voonik: The Personal Online Shopping Store at Microsoft Accelerator Program
How to Style a Sophisticated Evening Outfit
Spring Style - A Classic Dress with a Splash of Color
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...