A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dayton Area Craft/Thrifting  (Read 18232 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kellymud
« on: November 17, 2003 01:50:15 PM »

Does anyone know of any good stores in the Dayton area?  I live just outside of Troy (if that helps anyone).  I'm especially looking for a yarn store. Thanks

~kelly
THIS ROCKS   Logged
udandi

www.udandi.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003 08:08:26 AM »

my crafting days were on hold while attending UD, but I enjoyed the thrift stores around the Oregon District.

I don't know the Troy area and I don't know if this site will be of any more help than just cracking open the yellow pages, but it lists ohio shops

http://listingsus.com/Ohio/

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

---
short attention span projects at http://www.udandi.com
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003 06:56:16 PM »

Here's a site which may be of help:
http://www.brysonknits.com/OH.html

It lists yarns stores in Ohio.  I was looking for the store I used to go to but I didn't find it.  I grew up on the north side of Dayton so I really can't be much help for the Troy area.

However, if you happen to be in the Centerville area for some reason and have a great love of paper and art supplies, Marco's Paper is a great place.  I normially stop there whenever I'm nearby.  They sell their scrap paper (from the printing portion of their business) for cheap at the front of their store.  You can dig through alot of paper there.  Here's their website:
http://www.marcopaper.com/

Good luck on the yarn front. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hipgypsy

Just keep swimming...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004 08:10:54 AM »

I live in Fairborn, which is a good distance away from Troy. I do know of a few really good craft and thrift places in Dayton and Beavercreek. I'm always looking for more-

Thrift:
Village Discount Outlet
Take 75 S. to 35 E. (Xenia) Get off at Woodman exit, turn right, make another right onto Steve Whalen Blvd. Go around a curve, and on your left will be a shopping center. Turn left into it.
They have a big selection of clothes, some house items, etc. I always find something pretty cool.

Feathers
Downtown Dayton, in the Oregon District
Find an exit from 75 S. for the Oregon District/Fifth St. - you might have to take Third St. and then cut over to find Fifth.
This is a sweet shop, but it can be a little pricey. Not too big but they have GREAT stuff, especially records. Lots of good retro jewelry, hats, gloves, coats, etc. It's pretty well known, last time I went in the owner was talking about how Sheryl Crow stopped in on tour and bought 70 records. If you're into that sort of thing-

Craft
The Busy Beaver
In Beavercreek- take 75 S. to 35 E. to Fairfield road, get off at the exit, turn right. Drive for about couple of miles, turn left onto Dayton Xenia Rd. (it's a big stoplight, Friendly's is on the right hand corner)
The Busy Beaver will be on you left, it's small, in an old house, but OH MY GOD this place is crammed to the rafters with tons of STUFF. They have to be breaking every fire code there is. I have no idea how they would ever take inventory. They have millions of things, beads, sewing, TONS of really cool yarn. It's really crazy in there. Definately worth the drive if you're a hard core crafter. Prices are really decent, too.

There are also a really great cake craft and scrap book shops on the same side of the road, close by, before you actually reach the Beaver. What a great name.  Wink

That stuff besides the standard Joanns, Micheals, etc. I'm always eager to learn about more. School and work don't leave much time, but it's fun to look and get reinspired.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~hipgypsy
geeky
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004 02:47:10 PM »

i live in fairborn too. theres a thrift store here called st. francis.  by the way hi im kelli. i thought i was the only one who did crafts in my area anyways hope that was osme help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MsRiverRat
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004 06:17:21 AM »

Hi Everybody!  I also live in the Dayton area, actually, between Dayton and Springfield.  I do a lot of different crafts and I really haven't had a chance to travel around looking for craft stores.  I just "make up" lots of my crafts, some turn out, well, some don't either!  I am looking for a giraffe stuffed toy pattern.  I have found a couple online, but not sure if I want to use them or not.  My grandson LOVES GIRAFFE's!  He called me last year and told me he needed a new one!  I love chatting with crafters and such.  I love to share!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004 05:28:47 PM »

so good to find other dayton crafters...I'll definately be checking out the Busy Beaver. I like in the kettering/centerville area, anyone else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redpurse
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004 04:35:13 PM »

Hello all,

I live in Washington Township which is smushed right in the Centerville/Kettering area.  Just moved here a couple months ago in fact... Ohio is very pretty in the fall Smiley  Thanks for all the tips on thrift/craft stores.  All I've been able to find is a Michaels (the phonebook doesn't seem to have many craft/thrift/consignment places).  BTW, I have been to Feathers and it's very cool although I agree that they're pretty pricey for stuff you could find yourself at the Salvation Army/Goodwill.  Thanks for the tip on Marcos paper... I'm going to check it out tomorrow. I have a lot of ideas for books/photos/decopage for X-mas gifts so that place will really come in handy.  Thanks for all the info.  I haven't really met anyone around here yet so if anyone has any other good suggestions for fun stuff to do (restaurants & entertainment) let me know (sorry if I moved off topic)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004 05:15:57 PM »

Food in the Centerville Area:
Have you tried Bill's Donuts yet?  I don't live in Centerville anymore, I'm in Cincinnati now but when I go back to see the parents, I have to stop.  I have to, sad but true. I really can't help myself.  If you haven't gone there, it's north of downtown on North Main on the right hand side.  I can't remember the side street it is on the corner of but if you see a big church than you missed it.  Enter by the back door and yes, it does look like a dive.  It's looked like that for 30+ years and the donuts are fabulous.  Way better than any other donut I've even tried.  I've had to ship those things to friends all over the country who have missed them from growing up. 

There's a Graeters's Ice Cream downtown now.  That's really a Cincinnati thing but it is tasty.  They make their ice cream the old fashion way.  If in doubt, try the raspberry chocolate chip.  The chocolate is just poured in while they are mixing it so sometimes you get big chocolate hunks.

If you like Mexican food, on West Franklin almost opposite the end of Virginia Avenue there is a good mexican restaurant. I don't remember the name.  They have a lunch buffet that is a nice variety. 

Crap! Now I need some donuts.  I guess I'm going to visit the parents tomorrow...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
staralee
l'etoile

mmmm...koolaid yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004 05:28:36 PM »

Ok, I'm newish to the area too. I really like going to the Neon movie theater, in the Oregon District.  There's also a great record store there, Gem City.   I work in the Town & Country shopping center (off of Main St) at the Kiln Time Cafe-a paint-your-own-pottery studio and there's a GREAT bookstore there, Books & Co.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About the Life of Leonardo Da Vinci Part 1/3
How to Draw Dolphin Energy
How Ross Bleckner Addresses Aids In His Art
Ross Bleckner on His Own Mortality
Oil Painting Tips for Vegetable Painting
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...