A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: london art/craft supplies  (Read 4188 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

biscuit
« on: September 12, 2003 03:33:16 AM »

morning!  just a quicky as i'm holding the fort here at work but thought i'd better post since i'd asked for a london/england city guide:

here are a few of my favourite art/craft shops in london:

Atlantis Art Materials 7-9 Plumber's Row, London E1 1EQ Tel: 020 7377 8855 (Mail order available. Call for a brochure. Discounts available if buying in bulk)

no website, i'm afraid but this place is great for all manner of art supplies from canvasses to paints to books to clay.  and they have a wonderful paper section.  student discounts and lovely staff.  nearest tube station = whitechapel

covent garden beadshop
http://www.beadworks.co.uk/info/retail.html
or
http://www.coventgarden.org.uk/features/bead_shop.html
their semi precious section is truly dangerous.  full of great little finds (and findings) and the staff are really really helpful

vv rouleaux for ribbons and trimmings
http://www.vvrouleaux.com/menu.htm
a truly inspiring little treasure trove

enjoy!

biscuit
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003 04:48:18 AM »

i've never been, but there's a fabulous fabric/haby shop in london called maculloch and wallis. they do mail order, but the p&p's a bit steep.
as far as i know they are the only place in the uk that sells corset busks...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
superneedle
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2003 11:21:25 AM »

Don't live in London anymore, but studied there for 3 years as an art student.  Other noteworthy areas/places to find crafty stuff:

JOHN LEWIS, Oxford St - Massive selection of yarns, fabrics, threads, trimmings etc.

The area around Berwick Street Market in Soho:
SOHO SILKS

THE CLOTH HOUSE - (imho the best of the bunch)

THE BERWICK ST CLOTH SHOP

LIBERTY, Regent St - Not bad for selection of needlework and trimmings.  Fairly good selection of knitting yarns, although this seems to be shrinking as I speak.

THE HANDWEAVER'S STUDIO & GALLERY,
29 Haroldstone Road. Closed Sun & Mon.
Amazing selection of fibres, fleeces, yarns as well as spinning and weaving equipment.

THE LONDON GRAPHIC CENTRE, Covent Garden Area - Just about every kind of paper, pen, ink, stationery and graphic design tool you could ever want.  Excellent selection of presentation portfolios.

Will post others as they come to me.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003 06:12:34 PM »

thanks for those superneedle! where do you live now? any good shops near to you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-George Bernard Shaw
superneedle
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003 06:12:27 PM »

Hi!

I consider myself lucky in that I get to live in two different places.  I divide my time between the UK and Italy (I'm a design consultant for an Italian company).

Where I'm staying in the UK, there aren't any special shops, just John Lewis and the usual secondhand and Oxfam shops.

But in Italy, just five minutes walk from my appartment, there's an amazing shop called "Casamatti", which in english means "the house of the mad people".  It has absolutely everything you could ever want...and it all costs next to nothing.  They recently opened another store where everything costs 1 euro (about 66p) or less.  Needless to say it's always packed.

Probably the thing that amuses me most about Casamatti is Davide, the guy who owns it.  He's a fanatical Manchester United fan!  Every chance he gets, he's off to Blackpool, Nottingham or Sheffield to see football mad friends.  Makes me laugh that in the middle of nowhere in Italy, there are ardent Man.U fans!!

Can't remember the address, so will post it in Jan when I go back to Italy.  Maybe I'll start a thread for Italy...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003 06:28:40 PM by superneedle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
superneedle
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003 06:25:36 PM »

Back again.
Found the address for Casamatti:

CASAMATTI
Via C. Fano 1-3
Reggio Emilia
Italy
tel. (0039) 0522 304872

Did a search on Google and the results that came back had nothing to do with fabrics or crafts, but where to buy a book on the history of A.C Reggio, the local football team...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003 10:44:45 AM »

oh my god superneedle, i'm so jealous!!  Grin

i just love cheap european shops. don't they just have the funkiest stuff? my sis used to live in portugal and she used to buy me the best stuff...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-George Bernard Shaw
Carolina
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004 12:13:39 PM »

If you're a Sarf Londoner looking for fabric, try Fabrics Galore at 52-54 Lavender Hill (you can walk from Clap Junction, but it's a bit of a hike). They are almost overstocked with fabric, with new stuff coming in all the time; I've found some absolute gems.

Esp. good for fake furs - good quality stuff at 15 -30, which knocks the furry spots off John Lewis' overpriced stock.  (If you're in JL though, try the homeware fabric section, design and colour much better than fashion fabric).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafted creatures at carolinelarnach.wordpress.com
elbee
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004 05:49:07 AM »

Cheesy
Thank you so much for the fabric info. I've been in London for 4 years now and have never found a shop with quality fake fur. John Lewis is so depressing and I cry every time I have to go in there, expecially when it's Saturday and there are 50 people i nline to peek at the pattern books. Oh my, I'm so excited! I'll be running out to Lavendar Hill after work tonight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucy_luge
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004 03:37:45 AM »

For fabric shops, try Goldhawk Road in west London. Just come out of the tube and there are loads of shops in every direction, most are really cheap too. Also Goldhawk Road market has a few good stalls that are worth looking at too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Fashion: How to Create a Cool Envelope Clutch
Snookie Opens Up Her Beauty Bag!
Seventeen Readers Test Beauty Products
Seventeen Reader Ashley Gets a Glam Makeover For Prom!
Seventeen Reader Rohania Gets a Makeover For Prom
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...