A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,384
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DPN's rather than circs???  (Read 1403 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

killerdaisy
« on: April 28, 2004 08:57:53 PM »

i really want to make this:

http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/hats/london-beanie.htm

but do not have (and cannot find locally*) circs with a cord short enough.

i have size 7dpns, but have never used dpns before.

should i give it a go or search out the circs?

*(the hat is a gift and needs to be done by may 7th - i dont think online ordered needles would arrive with enough time for me to finish the project, so its dpn's or no gift)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
klutz 91
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004 10:35:59 PM »

Hey killerdaisy........ .

My first project ever was done on dpn's because I just had to have a beanie with cables, and couldn't find one in the stores I liked.  It's a little weird at first, just like anything else.  But I was able to do it, and trust me...that means anyone can do it.  

*Hey, where did my willingess to try new things go?  Has anyone seen it?  Scarves are getting boring............*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jpants
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004 05:52:53 AM »

The only bad thing I can think of using dpns is that it might take longer than using a circular needle.  but since you will have to switch to dpns eventually, at the top, you should go for it!  
the only tricky thing that I find about dpns is remembering to bring in the new needle every time i get to the end of a row of stitches, meaning sometimes i'll start with 3 needles with stitches on them and end up with only 2.  this is easily fixed, but can mess you up if you are at a decrease point and your pattern is based on the number of needles you have.
I hope that doesn't confuse you.  just know that if you end up with one less needle than you are supposed to have, that is what happened.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gloriana
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004 07:12:14 AM »

it's definitely weird at first, but gets kind of fun after a while.  plus being able to knit with them makes you much more versatile, and you'll be able to do all kinds o' cool stuff.  I'd caution you about the "gutter" that sometimes develops between needles when you're using DPNs - remember to pull the yarn tight when you're starting on a new needle.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
knittykat
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004 08:02:35 AM »

Yes, definitely go for it.  I think a lot of people don't like them but there are plenty of us who do.  

My biggest advice is use some crappy yarn and your pattern and just practice using them before using your nice yarn.  Even if you just knit a tube, you will get practice using the needles.  After the first 2 rows I was like "I will NEVER get this" but stick it out for at least an inch before you give up, by that time it is much easier and the needles aren't flopping around on you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
io
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2004 08:05:52 AM »

try dpns, it's exactly the same principle as circs, there are just more of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
killerdaisy
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004 01:29:31 PM »

ugghhh...

well i tried the dpns last night.

it made me want to quit knitting, it was so frustrating. i got two conflicting sets of instructions, one from stitch n bitch, one from a (generally excellent) knitting website. i tried both ways and both ways i had twisted stitches and needles everywhere!

maybe i'll knit them a nice easy scarf instead Sad

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004 01:39:48 PM »

what if you used one of your longer circs and used the magic loop method? (theres a website explaining it here)

hehe, i feel a bit like a zealot - this must be the third time i've recommended this method since discovering it a month ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
Lilyvanilli
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004 04:06:24 PM »

Whenever I make hats I use the pattern from I Can't Believe I'm Knitting. It uses 2 sizes of straight needles and the hats are super cute! Here's the pattern:

With size 5 straight needles (long ones, not short ones) cast on (CO) 102 sts

Work 7 rows in K1,P1 rib

Switch to size 7 straight needles (again long ones) and work 30 rows in stockinette stitch (I seem to always start and end with a purl row)

Row #31: K14, slip 1 as if to knit, K2tog (knit 2 together), PSSO (pass slipped stitch over), place marker; repeat this until you finish the row

Row #32: P across slipping markers as you come to them

Row #33: K to within 3 sts of marker, slip 1 as if to knit, K2tog, PSSO, slip marker; repeat this until you finish the row

Row #34: P across slipping markers as you come to them

Repeat rows 33 and 34 until you have 6 sts left on your needle. Cut yarn leaving a long tail (maybe 20 inches) and thread yarn needle. Pass yarn needle through sts on straight needle and pull straight needle out. Tug firmly to close and then sew up the seam.

Unless the person has a very large head this should fit perfectly. I've only had to vary from this pattern once when a big headed person wanted a hat and I just CO 108 sts instead of 102. Good luck! Smiley

P.S. Here's a pic so you can see what this hat comes out looking like:

http://suicidegirls.com/media/members/9/70/32709/11047/134266.jpg
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004 07:33:10 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinknut

Legolas Lives!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004 10:19:30 AM »

I've actually made one of these and I absolutely love it.  I used both circulars and dpn's.  Circulars are much easier and faster but sadly I think you will need to use DPN's because at the end it gets really small(i mean really small!!) and you kinda have to use dpn's.  THey're not as hard as they seem.  Give it a try...it will be worth it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rules for Playing Beer Pong
Playing Beer Pong
No Opponent in Backgammon
Bearing in to Win a Race in Backgammon
Bearing in to Save Gammon in Backgammon
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...