A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: thrift stores?  (Read 16296 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sirvinya
Cross stitch lover

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2006 12:15:31 PM »

you're so lucky Sirvinya, I wish we had somewhere like that in my town! there isn't even a regular fabric shop in my town.

I lived there for 8 years and only found it a month ago! Go rooting through any junk shops you have nearby, you might get lucky! Oh, and get to know the people who run it. Yeasterday I scored 5m of beautiful turquoise curtain fabric and 3m of floral viscose for 2 total because they told me where to find the new boxes. There's no fabric shop in that town and the fabric floor in that junk shop is hardly known at all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage fabric auctions - 1950's & 60's pattern and fabric 8th Oct!!
Sirvinya
Cross stitch lover

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2006 11:58:56 AM »

Today I scored a 1960's skirt pattern for 1 in my favourite shop  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

april_cocaine
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2006 12:29:49 PM »

Today I scored a 1960's skirt pattern for 1 in my favourite shop  Grin

not too shabby at all Cheesy

I got a whole carrier bag of yarn for 60p!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sirvinya
Cross stitch lover

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2006 03:20:12 PM »

not too shabby at all Cheesy

I got a whole carrier bag of yarn for 60p!!

Oooh, congrats! I once got 150 Anchor cottons for 10 from that shop. What you planning with the yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solorn

Doesn't play well with others

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2006 02:55:15 PM »

I bought 5 boxes of buttons, all very old and looks like they were in a department store, for 4 Smiley Some of them are priced at 2 1/2 pence each, others are still ordered in color and on the original cards. I love buttons..and have NO clue what I'll do with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

april_cocaine
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2006 04:40:29 PM »

i love buttons too! i have a massive bag that i just don't know what to do with yet...

and i don't know what i'm doing with my yarn yet - just scarfs and hats for family i think Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

impgirl
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2006 01:20:04 AM »

wow - you are all getting some great stuff.

I am so jealous - especially of your buttons Solorn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

prettycraftythings...a new monthly craft bazaar for the north of england...vendor applications now open...please see http://www.prettycraftythings.co.uk for more details
vinny
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2006 06:35:16 PM »

i've scoured my whole area and do regular trips.  my local oxfam is hugely expensive.  i went in t'other day and asked if they had any yarn or fabrics, and the woman there said yes they'd had in a couple of bagfulls but she was planning on making a window with it on saturday, so to come back then!  so infuriating, because im absolutely certain that whatever time i get there i'll either be too early or too late, you know? i was polite but i was secretly a bit pissed off, i must admit.  because, why not let me have a look and, you know, buy some of it??  it was just weird.

i never find sewing patterns, i ask and ask though.  theres a couple of the charity shops round here where theyve taken me into their basements and back rooms to look at yarn, and the places are totally crammed with stuff.  my local cancer research shop is quite small but their basement is easily twice the size of the shopfloor and crammed.  but they have some stuff out on the shelves and rails for weeks and weeks, because it is overpriced.  they see a label like "laura ashley" and it'll go out for at least 6, usually more.  i dont really understand it because if they put it out for half that price, the stuff would sell and they would clear more stock and ultimately make more money, its pretty basic really.  and for goodness sake, sending a customer away because you want to make a pretty window?  whats that about?

another shop sent me away recently because i only had my card on me (no cash) and the volunteer didnt know how to work the machine yet.  so that was 6 i didnt get to spend and they didnt get to recieve.  Roll Eyes  she said to come back tomorrow but i dont have the time to go back and forth like that, its so infuriating!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sirvinya
Cross stitch lover

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2006 11:36:44 AM »

A very productive trip to my junk shop yesterday.

A display of 1950's buttons for 3 busy rotting out in the rain so I just took all the buttons in a bag.

A binliner of fabric for 12.

A bolt of 1950's stripe fabric for 5.

Sigh, how I love that shop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

april_cocaine
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2006 08:19:04 AM »

Vinny, i know how you feel. One of my local chrity hops (salvation army) is fantasic - cheap, full of stuff and very helpful staff.

Another shop though (scope) is a bit meaner. this isn't crafts related, by my boy found some cassete tapes from the 80 in there, and asked the lady if she had any more out the back. she said that she did, but she couldn't show him. it really pissed me off, because my boy was willing to pay well for these, and you think the shop would be interested in making some money. apparently not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Light Graffiti
How to Create Graffiti Wildstyle
How to Design Short Anime Characters
How to Do Basic Paint Handling Techniques
How to Choose Paint and Colours
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...