A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 303,140
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: thrift stores?  (Read 17645 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2006 11:19:45 AM »

most of the charity shops near me are ridiculously priced apart from the YMCA, which has the most helpful staff ever... they're so friendly, they have nice stock & their prices are great. because of this, they shift everything they sell! i can go in twice a week & everything's changed. i often have a natter about how well they're doing. it's great!

what i don't like seeing is my local british heart foundation selling asda t-shirts, and primark t-shirts for 3+!!! it's pure robbery. i feel awful for the generation of older ladies who don't know asda & primark being a severly cheap brand... and being robbed out of pocket.
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2006 11:00:35 PM »

...im going to london next summer.. any recommendations of thrift stores??

« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2006 06:13:29 AM »

I know this thread has been dead for a while but I had to share this - hospice shop today, 35 7" vinyl records for.....1!!!!! I kid you not. I'm happy, though where I'll store them once they're made into bowls I do not know....

Check out the bloggity blog at www.astareal.co.uk
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2006 11:13:38 AM »

SesSpringett - thats awesome! i have the same touble too, trying to find a place in my house to store everything!

« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2006 12:27:43 PM »

It is pretty shocking how they throw so much stuff out. If you're very curious, you could always rummage through the bins

I did this one night with a dedicated team of thrifty friends, although we were slightly tipsy and giddy, we did manage to find some stuff. Not very good stuff, I admit, but we did only scour the surface. I got a perfectly serviceable rug, with a nice victorianish pattern, and a bag of childrens badges which were quite fun.
With a bit more concentration Im sure there's much better stuff to be had. I literally have no shame when it comes to this sort of thing, and it's actually pretty fun if you go with some friends.

Don't fear the bins!

Doesn't play well with others

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2006 11:33:54 PM »

Most charity shops sell their unwanted fabric items to the ragman. He gives a pittance for a HUUUGE bag. Also, a lot of charity shops are now having to have their rubbish collected and disposed of privatly because of the amount they have. Makes for bad rummaging. *sighs*

Best thing to do? Go to your favorite charity shop and see if they want volunteers. You get to rumage and save things as you go and will sometimes get a discount too. They only ask for around 4 hours a week and it's very fullfilling.

« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2006 02:17:50 PM »

i totally agree katby - i dug around in my local bakery's bins a couple of weeks ago, to find fresh, crusty un-touched bread and DANISH PASTRIES. oh yeah!

i didn't even know that ragmen still exisited!

« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2006 06:28:03 PM »

Dumpster Diving is quite a big thing in America and becoming so here too. I saw a funny video about it. I'll see if I can find it again and post the link
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2007 10:39:05 AM »

Just to add my two cents in here, after reading this thread, my faith in charity shops was restored... well until i went all over the place and actually looked, and all i saw was ugly curtains. When i actually enquired if they had fabrics, the ladies told me that if they ever get scraps of material, the answer was "yes we do but because no one wants them we just chuck them out" (i know horrific), so in the end if you live in my area of Kent you have to ask the Lady's to save them for you, if not these fabrics are gonna make some bird a warm nest.

On a happier note if any one knows the area of Petswood in Kent, there is an amazing fabric shop called Dormouse Quilts (of which a website is opening soon, so the owner told me).
At the moment there are lots of large fabric scraps at 1!! and the cut offs of the regular material are 2! These cut offs are like the size of cushion which isn't bad since 1 meter of this material is like nearly 10! She also had a huge basket of  bags of 5 Anchor embroidery threads for like 1.50 Shocked. i was a very happy bunny when i saw this.

any way just adding my thoughts  Cheesy
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2007 12:50:24 PM »

I haven't had any luck in finding food  in bins as yet, a bit of mouldy bread but thats all.
I have also had my faith restored, but only a little bit. The oxfam in the centre of leeds is shocking. They've gone for the vintage retro type thing, and have hiked the prices up to go with it. Jeans and trousers and stuff 10-15! It's ridiculous. So i've had a vendetta against oxfam for a while now. But I went into a more local oxfam and got some jeans for three quid, they were a good brand too, though i can't actually remember which one. And a bizarre, long  wooden handled teaspoon for 49p as well, that was quite a find.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: My Week With Marilyn
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: J. Edgar
New James Bond Film Titled Skyfall
Will the Arab Spring Affect Films?
Bree Williamson on the Changing of the Film Industry
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...