A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,580
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dia des los Muertos Costume. I need your help.  (Read 2231 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2005 07:51:14 AM »

Okay crafty craftsters, lemme hear your ideas on this one. We're having a Day of the Dead meets Night of the Living Dead party (to satisfy both our Mexican food/drink/costume obsession and our roomate's zombie fetish). My girlfriend and I are dressing as Day of the Dead skeletons and I need some advice. A fellow craftster, bopalena, has helped me with the skeleton part (white felt bones on black). Has anyone done this costume before and have any suggestions? I'm also thinking that I may do a paper mache mask (or half mask ala Phantom of the Opera so that I can still drink and eat freely) but the rest of my face, neck, chest will be painted. Any ideas on how to keep the face paint on all night long?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005 01:47:58 PM by LivinEasy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bopalena
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005 10:38:26 AM »

I used Ben Nye black and white make-up for the face.  Ben Nye also makes a spray sealant for their make-up that worked pretty well.  It kept the make-up from rubbing off on everything and making a mess.  But, we still got black make-up around our shirt collars.  I don't think anything will make that completely unavoidable.  Be sure to wear clothing that you don't mind getting make-up on. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005 10:56:15 AM »

bopalena, you're my favorite. Thanks for the tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amaryllisroze
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005 11:23:43 AM »

I was trying to get my husband to do that very thing this year, but he's opted for an Elvis skeleton instead...

While at the custume shop, I did see a Day of the Dead costume with a plastic sugar skull mask...its pretty cheap quality, but it might at least give you an idea of how you could paint your face...

I'm trying to find a link of it and will post if I can dig it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005 11:59:55 AM »

Hmm..that's a good idea. I hadn't thought of doing a sugar skull. I want to look a little sweeter than the scary-ass skull masks I've been able to find. With some sculpty and bright paints a sugar skull mask shouldn't be terribly hard to make. Thanks for the idea.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005 12:23:15 PM by LivinEasy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amaryllisroze

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005 12:04:06 PM »

You're welcome! I can't for the life of me find a picture of the costume, even on all of the costume sites!

Basically, the mask was like your classic plastic halloween mask with the elastic string that goes around your head.

There were flowers on each cheek and scrolls & swirls around the rest of the face in bright colors. You could easily paint it straight on your face and avoid the whole uncomfortable mask thing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005 12:20:23 PM »

There were flowers on each cheek and scrolls & swirls around the rest of the face in bright colors. You could easily paint it straight on your face and avoid the whole uncomfortable mask thing.

Now we're talking...funny, I've been using pictures of your wedding as inspiration for the party we're throwing. This weekend I've enlisted friends and roommates to help me make tons of paper flowers and tin can lanterns. I'll make sure to post pictures when it's all done. With all the creative minds I have working on it and the amount of time we've alloted ourselves it's sho gonna be a thow down!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005 12:22:20 PM by LivinEasy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amaryllisroze

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005 12:25:59 PM »

Excellent! The paper flowers I made were way, way easy...just circles of tissue paper scrunched up at the end of green pipecleaners...I still have a ton of the papel picado left so I think I'll hang them up for our halloween party this year.

Make sure to take plenty of pics and post them after the party.

We bought a bunch of new halloween decorations this past weekend and once we get the kitchen back in its glory, I'll post pics of it. TJ Maxx has some of the best, most bizarre vintage looking decorations ever. I was shocked and giddy, all at the same time.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005 12:32:10 PM »

TJ Maxx you say? I'm there. I am so there. And a tip for you if you haven't yet been. Target has some great deals on their $1 isle. I bought some fake rats, black skull candles that melt red, blacklight bulbs and horror DVD's (yes, only a buck!) to play on a little television in the kitchen. The DVD's have 2-3 movies on each one with great titles like "The Brain that Woudln't Die."

I'm on the hunt for papel picado at the moment. I live in a predominantly Mexican neighborhood so I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of all the Day of the Dead decorations.

I look forward to swapping pictures.

If your husband is going to be an Elvis skeleton (brilliant by the way) what are you going to do?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2005 12:33:43 PM by LivinEasy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amaryllisroze

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005 12:36:37 PM »

Oh yes...we hit Target as well (I could go broke buying their halloween decorations). We got all of the horror DVD's they had last year and then picked up the new ones this year.  TJ Maxx isn't necessarily cheap, but most of the times are less than about $12.99...this includes funky figurines, candy dishes, plates, etc...and they have tons of dishtowels, too. I don't know if I've mentioned that our kitchen is a halloween theme year round, so those come in  way handy for us.

I'm going to be Frida...last year he was Pan and I was a Priestess of Avalon...this year, Frida & Dead Elvis. It should be way fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 2/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 4/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 6/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 11/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Newborns Part 4/11
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...