A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
466 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fun Hats now with Mohawk Beanie Pattern Link & Diamond Earflap Hat Pattern Link  (Read 5527 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rhiandmoi
« on: September 19, 2005 09:44:31 PM »

These are some fun hats I have been knitting up.

This is a modification of the Nautilis Hat. I started it, but I forgot to print the pattern directions so when I got to the  Row 1: *K2tog, K7(8, 9), YO* around; Row 2: K, I didn't know what to do. I improvised a couple of rows, but it didn't look very good so I just worked a K1P1 rib for a few inches. I think it sort of looks like a cupcake. I did an invisible rib bind off though which was fun.

These two are mohawk beanies. I knit the beige one in the round, then the blue one I knit flat. The Boyfriend thinks they look sort of like Trojan helmets. I am working on writing out the pattern for these.
Edit: Here they are!
Pattern for knitting in the round
Pattern for knitting the hat flat

This hat looks like intarsia, but the inside looks like a crazy spiderweb because I just used 2 balls and didn't wind up a jillion bobbins. This was a stash buster so I was just sort of winging it. On the inside I sort of tacked down the crossover strings. This hat features my first pompom, my first earflaps and my first I-Cord. I need to practice making pom poms.

Now with Pattern![/url}
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011 09:26:59 AM by jungrrl - Reason: made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged
niney
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005 01:33:01 AM »

i love the mohawk beanies!! very cute. i want to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patriautism
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005 01:55:28 AM »

Dang, yeah, I'd like that mohawk pattern when you get around to it! Awesome! Is it knit flat or in the round?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SparroWinter
Androgynous scarf-knitter

Always twirling twirling twirling towards freedom.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005 05:20:32 AM »

Those mohawk beanies rocks! I also love the pattern on the final hat. The blue and white diamonds really look nice together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Projects in Progress - Branching Out scarf
 - Numerous knitted blanket squares

Just Finished - Midnight scarf
 - Falliage scarf
 - Basketweave Baby Blanket
craftymomof2banks

Follow me on facebook! Link is below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005 05:57:26 AM »

Those are too cute. Wish I knew how to knit. Undecided Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Barbarella

Necessity is the mother of invention.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005 06:07:50 AM »

They're so cute, i like the last one because i love hats with earflaps. And i have that same panda! I won him at a summer fayre  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cupcake-girl
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005 07:38:31 AM »

What kind of red yarn did you use?
You did a great job on all of them. I love the mohawks, my formerly punk friends would love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lasandri
originator of the term "crackster", as in craftster is like crack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005 05:00:03 PM »

mohawks! mohawks! i wanna!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thisonegoesupto11
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005 08:54:55 AM »

those mohawk beanies cracked me up!  what a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhiandmoi
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005 10:35:05 AM »

The mohawk beanie can be knit flat or in the round. I think it came out better knit flat, but it could just be because it was the second time I was making the hat.

Writing up a pattern after the fact is harder than it looks. I am going blind trying to count stitches. But I am working on the patterns and hope to post them in the next couple of days. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mims
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005 01:10:47 PM »

love the mowhawk hats.  I think my 3 1/2 month old needs to have a hot pink one.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Les reves sont necessaire a la vie
patriautism
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005 03:03:37 PM »

The mohawk beanie can be knit flat or in the round. I think it came out better knit flat, but it could just be because it was the second time I was making the hat.

Writing up a pattern after the fact is harder than it looks. I am going blind trying to count stitches. But I am working on the patterns and hope to post them in the next couple of days. Smiley

That's cool, I don't know circular knitting yet. Don't go blind Smiley Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wokeupafraud
it's always you in my big dreams

andrew mcmahonnnnn <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005 03:19:43 PM »

mohawk beanies? brilliant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so I guess we're back to us, oh cameraman
swing the focus. In case I lost my train of
thought, where was it that we last left off?
let's pick up, pick up

http://home.promosquad.com/referal.shtml?referer=_heartacheontv&band=62
fire*rocket
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005 06:12:38 AM »

I love this pattern!  It is so awesome.  Thanks for posting the directions.  I'm making one in the round for my brother who is a redhead and often sports a mohawk when he's on school vacation.  I thought this beanie would be fitting for him.   Wink

Anyway I'm having trouble when I come to purling with the fun fur.  I purl the 10 stitches and knit around and when I come back to do the next row of the same section my thread is on the far side so I have to pull it across so I can purl with it.  So every row has a cross wise piece of orange fun fur!  Did this happen with yours?  I'm a fairly new knitter so I didn't know if I was missing something.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhiandmoi
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005 10:14:05 AM »

I love this pattern!  It is so awesome.  Thanks for posting the directions.  I'm making one in the round for my brother who is a redhead and often sports a mohawk when he's on school vacation.  I thought this beanie would be fitting for him.   Wink

Anyway I'm having trouble when I come to purling with the fun fur.  I purl the 10 stitches and knit around and when I come back to do the next row of the same section my thread is on the far side so I have to pull it across so I can purl with it.  So every row has a cross wise piece of orange fun fur!  Did this happen with yours?  I'm a fairly new knitter so I didn't know if I was missing something.  Thanks!

That was the problem with going in the round. What I did was put the yarn behind the work and bring it to the front between the last knit stitch and the first purl stitch. If you really want to have a clean finish you can do some fancy needle work and slip the 10 purl stitches to your right needle and then bring the fun fur to the front slip a stitch back to the left needle, fun fur to the back slip a stitch back to the left needle until you have  all 10 purl stitches back on the left needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fire*rocket
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005 05:37:59 AM »

That was the problem with going in the round. What I did was put the yarn behind the work and bring it to the front between the last knit stitch and the first purl stitch. If you really want to have a clean finish you can do some fancy needle work and slip the 10 purl stitches to your right needle and then bring the fun fur to the front slip a stitch back to the left needle, fun fur to the back slip a stitch back to the left needle until you have  all 10 purl stitches back on the left needle.

Cheesy Yeah right!  Cheesy I'm such a beginner knitter that I have no idea what you just wrote.  Wink  So far I'm putting the fun fur behind and bringing it forward to do the purling.  Might not be the prettiest but it'll be on the inside so won't be noticed. 

Thanks for the alternate directions though.  I appreciate your help.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jera
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005 05:52:40 AM »

y little boy is going to sporting a mohawk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Be to her virtues kind, Be to her flaws a little blind"
Cassiopia1
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005 07:06:17 PM »

The Mowhawk Beanies are tremendously fabulous, and the last hat is all sorts of awesome. Any way I could get my paws on a pattern for that last one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhiandmoi
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2005 01:11:36 PM »

I'm so glad people like the hats. My boyfriend is not into wearing knitted items so he is less than enthusiastic when I end up with a stockpile of items. Right now I have about 8 scarves left over from last holiday knitting season. I figure I'll send those to a clothing bank if they don't fnd their way into stocking stuffers for this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Prive Salon Shows You How to Take a Pretty Braid from Day to Night
How to Get a Fishtail Braid
Addicted To Hair Weaves
Stylist To Stars Shares Hair Extension Secrets
Woman Spent $25,000 On Weave
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...