A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,655
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Och, aye, it's a big tartan messenger bag  (Read 1527 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jettetheimpala
« on: September 19, 2005 06:11:22 PM »

So I'm finally posting something I actually made, rather than just commenting on other people's productivity. Please excuse the pyjama pants. If the bag looks like it needs a good pressing it's because I've been using it non-stop for the past week. And I'll say from the outset that the tartan applique isn't my idea, it's Karissa Cove (http://www.karissacove.com), so mad props to her.

Here 'tis in all its glory. It took my a while to make because all the seams in the body of the bag are flat-felled to make it strong like bull to carry my precious iBook. I also used a very fine fusible wadding by Vilene called Pellon in the lining, which I highly recommend. It's strokable and squashy and nice.

Detail of the applique. I ironed the appliques down with Visfix before stitching on the cotton tape. I screwed up a little, because I assumed I'd catch the edges of the appliques with the cotton tape. I wound up having to stitch in much further than I anticipated, so if you flip back the sides of the tape you can see the raw edges of the appliques. Le sigh. I shall learn from this in the future...

Front pocket. Just a welt pocket a la Sushimifune. This is for stuff I like with me but don't use all the time. Things like camera lens cloths, painkillers, nailfiles, my work security pass.

Big lapped pocket on the back. A good idea in theory, not so fantastic in practice. In practice the stuff in this pocket (wallet, phone, cigarettes, keys - aka what I use all the time) drags down the pocket and makes it bulge unattractively. It's still practical, but in future I'll add a pleat in the middle to account for the extra stuff.

Thanks for looking! As I hardly ever post stuff I make please shower me with the comment love. Oh, comments, how I love thee..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the little fish have fun in the sea... http://www.quicklittlesplinter.com
xcaffeinecrushx
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005 06:15:40 PM »

that bag is so awesome!!

good job, i love the design on the cover  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005 11:09:44 PM »

I love all of the details you added to this bag.  I'm not a big fan of tartan, but the way you did it is very interesting. 
It really looks like it would carry a lot and withstand much wear and tear (which is, of couse, always important! )
Great job!  Hope to see more things you have made in the future. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://zomboid.com
My website, newly redesigned as of 9-2010! ^_^

http://facebook.com/heycookie
Yes, I have one of those, too. ^^;
arrhythmia
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005 10:31:51 AM »

I really like this bag because it's so entirely useful and practical. It is also cute and looks pretty professional. I love all the pockets and appreciate the construction details, as well. Good work !! Looks like a super 'companion' bag !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

owl be there
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006 04:56:47 PM »

sweet! i want to make one! um what if im lazy is there such thing as iron on bias tape [thats wahat you used right? is it called bias? somthignl ike taht} anyway would that work??? cuz. im lazy. Grin but i love it! especially the randomness of where the coloured in squares are ... mmmm fabric scraps

*EDIT* oops sorry i didnt realize that this was from a year ago! i was searching and didnt think to check the date  Undecided sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greeneggsandham

beat him when he sneezes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006 06:52:16 PM »

This is great.  Love the bag itself, the stained glass look is really funky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gwenyth Paltrow Partners with Organic Beauty Brand
Pinterest DIY: Does PAM Dry Nails Fast?
The Best Celebrity Beauty Looks Of The Week
VF COLLECTIONS: Antonio Berardi - Fall 2015 - London Fashion Week - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
VF COLLECTIONS: Peter Pilotto - Fall 2015 - London Fashion Week - Interviews & Runway
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...