A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,399
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The big thread of transfer questions (pens, pencils, paper, other)  (Read 39504 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #210 on: March 23, 2010 08:44:06 AM »

What did you use to transfer? Did you use a transfer pen or pencil?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

instantphoebe
« Reply #211 on: March 23, 2010 09:06:49 AM »

No, it was the Dritz tracing paper, which is supposed to, from my understanding, work like carbon paper.

http://www.dritz.com/brands/showcase/details.php?ITEM_NUM=632-66

Or was I totally misled?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

« Reply #212 on: March 23, 2010 04:04:40 PM »

Sometimes with that tracing paper you need one of those little wheels with spikes on them. I don't have a clue as to what they are called. Dressmakers tracers? I have one and have used it with that type of transfer paper. You run it along the lines and it pokes little holes like perferations and the color of the transfer paper goes onto the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

instantphoebe
« Reply #213 on: March 23, 2010 05:09:31 PM »

I didn't get one of those wheels, though, b/c the package said specifically to use a ballpoint pen for embroidery transfers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #214 on: March 23, 2010 05:10:15 PM »

Hmmmm,,,I'm gonna investigate some more. This has me stumped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shookup
« Reply #215 on: April 19, 2010 06:35:43 AM »

Hi everyone!

I have some question about transfering images...

In May I'll attend my sister's first marriage anniversary. I discovered that the first anniversary is "cotton". So i would like to give her something embroidered, you know like some towels with an embroidery that has a special meaning for the couple. I'm a total newbie, but i can do some classic stitches, some silk ribbon and absolutely no cross-stitching.

anyway the greatest problem is that i really really can't draw anything. so i would like to transfer some pre-done images on the fabric, but i don't know how...can you please help with tips?

Thanks a lot!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Airsucker
Crafty Gamer Chick

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 14, 2010 02:37:11 PM »

yeah, being that I work at a school, I have used the crayola washable markers.  They are good for use with fabric and wash out completely.  I have also used the "wet-erase" markers with great success.  But you have to be planning to actually wash the item: neither one is very easy to just rinse out of part of the item without washing.

That's brilliant! I have a bunch of wet-erase I use for drawing on vinyl maps for D&D. I'm so glad i won't have to go out and buy something special.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Airsucker
Crafty Gamer Chick

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 14, 2010 03:47:25 PM »

Also, If you're looking for an inexpensive laptop lightbox, check out the toy section and the Crayola stuff. I have one that was made for kids to trace pictures of racecars to color. (They are annoyingly gender packaged, the other is in pink for fashion tracing.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KitsuneKrafter
« Reply #218 on: February 08, 2011 01:50:03 AM »

I just thought I'd mention a product called Transfer Eze on this thread--I've used it to print out my own images as well as PDF files I have bought from Urban Threads and Sublime Stitiching, on my inkjet printer. (You can also use a photocopier for this.)

http://www.createforless.com/MJP+Designs+Transfer+Eze+Design+Transfer+Sheet+10pc/pid178627.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse

So you put the 8 1/2" X 11" sheet in your printer or copier, transfer side down and print out your image, praying that your printer behaves itself and does not attempt to eat the page.

Then, the freezer paper backing is peeled off and the image can be stuck onto your fabric. Then, you hoop and stitch as usual.

When you are done, soak it in cold water to remove the transfer.

There are a few issues, however. One is inkjet ink will stain your thread unless you soak the item and then toss it in the washer. Thus, you can only use Transfer Eze on something you don't mind throwing in the washer.

Two is the stuff is beastly expensive. (The cheapest place I have found the stuff is Create For Less and there it is $13.24 for 10 sheets.)

Three is related to drawback number two--sometimes the printer will jam up with the transfer eze and you will lose a page of it to being eaten by the machine. This is a problem when you are talking about something that costs more than $1.00 per page.

On the other hand--when the printer doesn't eat it--it works really well, especially on dark fabrics like denim.

It's another option for transferring embroidery designs onto fabric, but like every other method, it has its problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Know thyself.
TenToes
« Reply #219 on: February 13, 2011 05:32:26 PM »

Wow. Well, I feel pretty stupid! I may be new to cross-stitching, but I had no idea that there were transfer aids!
I guess I can stop holding the fabric up to my computer screen and tracing...?

And certainly stop using this method:
(Transfer FAIL!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Prayer of Love Book Trailer
Jayne Amelia Larson on Driving the Saudis
Michael Feinstein Shares Memories of the Gershwins
Rachael Ray Talks About Her New Book, My Year in Meals
R.L. Stine Shares Discusses the Main Ingredients for a Horror Novel
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...