A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The big thread of transfer questions (pens, pencils, paper, other)  (Read 41767 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mojouk
« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2008 12:55:22 AM »

I have one of those red transfer pencils, and my first experience with it was exactly the same. Well, my first try came out waaaaaay too light. My second try came and crystal clear.... only I scorched the hell out of my fabric, and burned my carpet too (just say YES to ironing boards  Wink ).

Recently I gave it another go and kept checking very carefully to see how much had transferred. I got it right this time and the project is finished now with no hiccups. So I would advise you to do the same. You can probably use the same transfer you have traced already, because you didn't really 'use' it before, it's still got life in it.

So my advice is, use the same transfer (hopefully you didn't throw it away or rip it up in frustration!), iron it for longer but keep checking it to see how much has transferred and that you're not burning the fabric.

Good luck!  Cheesy

Mojo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JenB
« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2008 08:36:16 PM »

If you reverse the image and print it out on a Xerox machine, or laser printer you can iron it on with a dry HOT iron.

The printer has to use toner ink to work. If you have an ink jet printer at home just reverse the image, print, hand take it to a local Kinko's or copy shop.

Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.homeberries.com
Embroidery can't change the world... or can it?
motivate kindness
ybunnygurl
Party Hard!

At da RAVE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2008 01:53:26 AM »

make sure you don't use steam, it will not transfer well or at all... I did this and was like wtf? it worked before, turned off steam, and got it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ybunnygurl
Party Hard!

At da RAVE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2008 02:06:02 AM »

I use interfacing, I iron it on the back sew over it than rip it out. Its hella cheaper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2008 10:25:37 AM »

Could you trace it directly onto the fabric? I have used a wash out quilt marker and it works great. Completely disappears with water once the embroidery is done.

I have marked 2 small pieces of scrap fabric to see how long until the marking becomes permanent. The package stated it could become permanent after 2 weeks. So I'm letting the fabric sit and I'll see how it does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwormbethie
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2008 12:23:11 PM »

I understand your frustration, it was overwhelming for me when I first wanted to transfer a pattern that was no iron on.  There are sooo many options yet when you go to the craft store it is hard to find where they are located and the salespeople usually don't know what you are talking about.  Crafty gurlllll suggested to Chacopy to me which is available from www.clover-usa.com, but I have found it at my local Hancock Fabric Store for $4.25  It is super duper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeatnikChick
« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2008 10:04:40 PM »

If you reverse the image and print it out on a Xerox machine, or laser printer you can iron it on with a dry HOT iron.

The printer has to use toner ink to work. If you have an ink jet printer at home just reverse the image, print, hand take it to a local Kinko's or copy shop.

Jen

WOW THIS IS A GREAT HINT! 

If you want this the same direction don't forget to flip the image in a program before you print and copy so it looks like the artwork if that's what you're looking for... I've forgotten to flip, that bites!

If it were me, I would just print out the design and hang it in my window on a bright and sunny day then tape up my thin cotton fabric over it and trace with my water erasable fabric marking pens, then start to embroider. 

I have used my red transfer pencil on one project before, not only is it really light unless you press hard, but that also frustrates me because the pencil kept breaking and I was just losing the pencil more from sharpening...

Look for the sulky permanent ink iron-on transfer pen (in black ink). Found this at Michael's Crafts in the area near supplies for making T-shirts.

or DMC makes an embroidery transfer pen of blue water soluble ink (found this in the embroidery section of Joann Fabrics, however, the same thing is on the notions wall for sewing, like near the pins, sewing kits, needles, etc. Dritz makes these too.)

or for black or dark fabrics, Clover makes a white marking pen that is also water soluble pen that reminds me of those gel ink pens, this can run like $7 for one pen, expensive, but I know Joann Fabrics has the 50% off coupon every once in awhile dealie, this helps on crazy priced items like this.  (Found this in 2 places, in Joann Fabrics, it was in the quilting section near the hoops and quilting notions, and also in Michael's Crafts in the quilting notions section, near needle threaders and cutters.)

Hope this helps you out.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2008 10:14:24 PM by BeatnikChick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Human rights are for EVERYONE.  Did you know that Aung San Suu Kyi had been released from house arrest in Burma? Many other prisoners of conscience are still being detained.  Please research this topic... Amnesty International needs your help.
panda
« Reply #157 on: June 18, 2008 03:23:07 AM »

I have used them......  If you do not have sunny day but have glass table top put a light under it (light box affect).  Then tape your project down and fabric on top and trace again.  This way you won't break your tracing pencil.

Or maybe something like this:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/quilt/msg0701244913779.html

http://www.canadianhomeworkshop.com/weekend/tracingbox.shtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged

animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2008 10:37:52 AM »

I've also printed my designs with an inkjet printer on photo paper then wet the back of teh photo paper to transfer. It makes really clean lines if you don't soak the paper too much (use just enough for the ink to start appearing on the fabric). It also washes out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New Craft Blog - best way to contact me right now is via the bloggie Smiley

Wists are a wonderful thing!

Want a sticker?
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2008 05:50:12 PM »

Transfer pencils have never really worked for me. I would suggest either a sulky pen or sulky water soluble paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 8/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 6/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 3/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 12/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 13/13
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...