A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The big thread of transfer questions (pens, pencils, paper, other)  (Read 41021 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BettieGrl
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005 02:22:55 PM »

I bought a washable pen (for drawing my embroider patterns on) at Micheal's, in the quilt or sewing section. It's great, and washes out completely. The only problem is, they only came in light blue, which is not so helpful when drawing on dark fabrics or denim.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starpiste
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005 02:31:50 PM »

You can buy transfer pens that are washable and are usually pretty easy to find at fabric shops. They are called "washable transfer pencils." I've only seen then in darkish colours (mines blue) so they don't work for dark fabrics but they do wash out as they claim.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elisabeth
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005 07:17:56 AM »

there are also dressmaker's pencils.  These are washable too and they come in pink and white so they can be used on the colors that the blue doesn't work for.  I have always found them in the notions section of the fabric store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinytallgirl
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2005 10:14:44 PM »

Be sure to stop by the quilting section.  I got my water-erasable marker at Walmart for 1.59 (I think).  It's an aqua blue ink.  After you embroider, you can rinse the fabric or wipe it with water.  Be sure to wash off the marker FIRST before actually machine washing the item.  For some reason, it stresses that on the instructions....Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What the deuce?
eviljaden
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005 04:25:23 PM »

does anyone know of a better was to transfer white lines on to dark images. i have been using the sulky white ink iron transfer pen and i think it sucks compared to the black. i don't know if i got a bum pen or what, but it is a major effort to get it to work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GatsbyGirl
Not a Knitter

"As for me, I am a watercolor. I wash off."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005 01:25:48 PM »

I'm glad to hear people rave about the pens. I almost bought one once (must have something white to use on all those black tshirts crying out to be embroidered) but changed my mind since the one and only customer review was less than positive.

I am a fan of transfer pencils. The red ones work great as long as you keep it sharpened. While they say they're permanent, I have never found this to be the case. Any stray bits of red have always come out in the wash for me without doing anything specials whatsoever. One time I even accidentally ironed the transfer on the back of a garment rather than the front. I dropped it in the washing machine and it came out without a trace.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Twitter | Facebook | Wists
septrip
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2005 10:36:49 AM »

I have two sulky pens, a black one and a white one, and I am extatically in love with the black pen.  The white one not so much, it has almost the consistency of white-out, and feels like a completely different product.  The black pens are so great that I use them to put designs on shirts on their own (sans embroidery)! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006 10:01:39 PM »

Okay, I have decided to jump head-first into a larger embroidery project than I have before.  Basically, I want to use a page from a colorbook I purchased at the toy store tonight and hot transfer pencils.   However,  I have questions.   

I have Aunt Martha's hot transfer pencils and need to know if there is a special paper I have to use for them?  Or can I just use my everyday copier paper?    Any advice on using the pencils? 

I'm basically wanting to try and stitch the following image on a solid colored fabric and maybe turn it into a pillow or frame it. 

I just want to use the Geisha herself and exclude the background and foliage.

I got the image from a Dover Publications Stained Glass coloring book.   I thought the images with their thick outling seemed ideal for embroidery patterns.   

Here is the book:

http://store.doverpublications.com/0486403661.html

Eagerly awaiting some tips!  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006 10:03:26 PM by StarFire » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can do personal swaps!  ^_^

Pinterest!  http://pinterest.com/dmlinc2179/
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006 10:03:49 PM »

i have a transfer pen not pencil, that said, you should be able to draw straight on typing paper, lay it pencil side down and iron. i always draw stuff out, then trace over it with my transfer pen and iron, very easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
devilninny

isnt he adorable?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006 10:04:18 PM »

what a great idea!  im of no help but i'd love to know what you find out (waits with you)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Little Mary Jane Booty Instep Tip
The Basics of Hat Loom Knitting
Loom Knitting Tips
Pin Wheel Stitching Comparison
The Disadvantage of Loom Knitting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...