A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! Why am I not selling anything?  (Read 7281 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

poppet
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2004 08:18:04 AM »

I agree w/crafty manca's suggestions. I'd also recommend that you try networking by selling your bags at craft shows and consignment shops, and pass out flyers or business cards promoting the site. When people see your bags in person and pick up cards/flyers, they may pass the information via word of mouth. They are great bags, but there's a lot of competition online so it will take some footwork to get the sales going.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: "Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment." -- Dorothy Parker

http://poppetprojects.blogspot.com
slurpymundae

qu'est-ce que fack?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2004 09:07:42 AM »

I love your site. It's simple, ordering seems easy, prices seem fair. I would agree with what others have said here: advertising is key. I had mentioned this to someone else: It's important to have your brand name somewhere in your URL. I see you've accomplished that, which is good, repetition helps the brand name stick, and hopefully people will remember your site URL and be able to pass it on to friends. If you can hook yourself up with some more publicity, maybe through link exchanges, webrings, etc., I think you'll be well on your way! You can never spend too much time putting yourself and your name out there; it's a worthwhile investment of time! Best of luck!

-Stace
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"need less, use less, we're asking for too much, i guess... i know, i know you've tried to change things. i know." -metric
AngelAngela

My dressform is alive!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2004 05:46:43 PM »

I understand that with the super Galore number of original design craft websites on the 'net it's really hard to cash in on your talent if you don't put yourself out there in all the ways you can think of.  You could make a newsletter about your site, send it to all your friends andhave them send it forward and so on(kinda like a chain)...at least some people who read it will visit the site and you may get some business....also making flyers like poppet said and handing them out whenever you can helps, carrying around cards to leave at shops you visit or anyplace that young people go is also good.....remember that if you really want your business to work out you have to get it out there and get as many people as you can interested in visiting it and buying from it......it's hard work but the payoff could be great (and cashy$$$!) for you so good luck and keep on craftin'!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The limit upon your abilities is solely that which you put upon yourself."
Iris
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

hello.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2004 06:02:33 PM »

it may also be that your site doesn't draw the eye in at first glance. It would be better if you put the pictures of your creations before the introduction and welcome. I'd rather SEE what you're all about than READ it. Its a common internet reflex - pictures draw users in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Party-Bots
Robots Are Fun

How to be awesome..... Partybots.org

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2004 09:00:22 PM »

I would have prices on the page with your bags.  People don't like to dig around for that kind of information.  Something I'm doing right now is taking a million pictures of my shirts so I can rotate them out on my site.  It helps if people can see how the bag fits under the arm, or if it drags on the ground when carrying.  The other thing I would think, is the fact of it being on a free hosting site.  I aways turn when I see those kind of sites.  I know that sounds dumb, and i'm really not sure why I do that.... maybe the banner thing you have to deal with everytime you flip the page.  Feel free to email me if you like!

Check out other people's sites, and email them what they do.

Karl Addison
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006 03:51:29 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fulfill Your Inner Robot
wootwoot

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2004 09:31:51 PM »

The other thing I would think, is the fact of it being on a free hosting site.  I aways turn when I see those kind of sites.

I have to agree.  For one thing, it makes your site name kind of long and hard to remember.  Plus, it doesn't seem as professional as if you had a regular site.  You might think about registering a domain name and getting a "real" (for lack of a better word, I don't mean it in any kind of rude way) site.  It's not actually that expensive. 

I also agree that you should have pictures on the first page.  I never read introductions because frankly, I just don't really care all that much.  Show me the bags!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

justwantacraft
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2004 07:27:56 AM »

I have had my stuff up a year in Oct. and have only sold to familly members, I just look at it this way, I did it because I was not working and is my hobby and found a host to take care of the money stuff so its like a hobby gone public to me now.  I also do the graphic work and taugh myself that so its all a learning thing and so I just babysit it and wait.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tempost
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2004 11:26:14 PM »

Nice bags and nice quick loading site - always a bonus! 

Only thing I would change is the first 5 bags look like clutches - I would show them hanging - on a tree branch, on someone's shoulder, etc.

As far as marketing, always carry one of your bags and some simple business cards with your name and URL on them.  Anyone compliments your bag or asks what you do, give them a card. tell them that you're just starting out in business and ask them to visit your site and give their opinion.  You may want to list a few on ebay and say that you're making room for new designs and include your URL in the listing - that may increase traffic.

Also, list your site with the DMOZ. org search engine. It's free and that might help to boost traffic.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn, or food? Yarn, or food? .... Eh, I ate last week.
http://makeme.typepad.com
http://hilari.etsy.com
magnolia

Bob the Angry Sixtopus!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2004 12:16:53 AM »

I'm also very close of opening up a handbag/etc shop on the internet (don't worry, no competition!). So what I'll say is mostly from things I;m planning  to do with my site.

The pictures: Yes, if you can, get some of your friends to model your bags (they're cute, by the way!). If one of your friends is good at taking nice pictures, use him/her! Go to a pretty place, a garden, somewhere in the city and take the pictures. Maybe a location that reflects the essence of your work. (a decent camera always helps as well)

And when you transfer them to your comp, try to correct them. As in contrast, color brightness and all that jazz. Hey, I can even do that for you. I noticed some of your pictures needed their contrast to be augmented. Drop me a line, if you're not too familiar with Photo manipulation!

Hope you sell lots more!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

dimhalo
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2004 10:08:09 AM »

I have one suggestion to make: more professional looking pictures. Most of the pictures look like they've been taken in a back yard, or lying on a white bedsheet. They make it seem like a novice seller on ebay, and it really doesn't flatter your merchandise.  I'd suggest investing in a background or two (Check the clearance fabric at Walmart, and just buy a big piece), and having some friends model them (make sure they're wearing colors that will compliment whatever bag they're modeling). Your bags are adorable! I wish I had the spare cash to buy some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Give Yourself a Mohawk
How to Get Rid of Dandruff
How to Wash Your Hair
How to Wash Your Hair Scientifically
How to Use Natural Hair Dye
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...