A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP! Why am I not selling anything?  (Read 7471 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Serendipity
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2004 02:20:37 PM »

I'd suggest doing as much self-promotion as you possibly can.:

Trade links with similar sites that don't *directly* compete with yours.

Create a signature file for your outgoing emails that has your link in it.

If you post on any other BBS, be sure to put your link anywhere the moderators will let you -- in your signature, in your profile, etc. I am NOT suggesting that you flood other message boards with advertising for your site, but these subtle measures really do attract people. They read your posts about other things and are curious about what kind of website you run.

Be sure to wear something that you made as frequently as possible. ALWAYS carry business cards with you, just incase someone asks where you got that cute purse.

Give your friends some of your items to "model" in their everyday lives -- You never know, your friend might work in an office with someone who is looking for a product like yours.

Put up flyers on the bulletin board at local colleges or the public library.

Consider donating items -- Maybe your church has a craft sale to raise funds? Just make sure your items are labeled with your brand name and your url. You might also toss a couple of business cards in with each purchase.

Exchange promotional materials with other craft sellers -- They send your materials out in their packages, and you send their materials out with yours.

-Add a mailing list and a "Tell A Friend" option to your site. You can get these free at sites like http://www.bravenet.com

-Add a traffic counter to your main page so that you can keep track of your progress

--------------------------
I am still working on building up my sales, but I have noticed a change in my web traffic. The majority of my hits used to come from here at Craftster or ibuydiy. In recent weeks, I've been getting a lot more hits from a wider range of sources -- Sources that don't have anything to do with the sites where I originally promoted my site. I interpret this as progress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Piper
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2004 06:33:52 PM »

I think your purses are very cute and sellable! Someone mentioned it earlier, but I think it is very important. I know that I personally NEVER buy a single thing from freebie websites, such as geocities, tripod etc. even if I really like the item. When you have your own domain, it comes accross a lot more professional. Especially when you can get them so inexpensively these days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dontletsstart
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004 07:08:03 PM »

I think your purses are very cute and sellable! Someone mentioned it earlier, but I think it is very important. I know that I personally NEVER buy a single thing from freebie websites, such as geocities, tripod etc. even if I really like the item. When you have your own domain, it comes accross a lot more professional. Especially when you can get them so inexpensively these days.

ditto
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mizswim4him

yeah whatever..

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004 07:15:14 PM »

I think that i will have to try that. but if i spend my money on a domain name site and then i dont amke any money.. well, i just wouldn't like that. i think that im gonna experimetn with this first. I'm already in the hole 20 bucks and i wanna try and get out first!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004 07:21:14 PM »

what you have to remember is that any business is going to require an investment. I think you'll do fine with a domain name of your own. best of luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mizswim4him

yeah whatever..

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2004 07:31:28 PM »

yeah. are there any good ones that are like 5 bucks a month? lol. im super cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amareluna
Head Nerd at Nyxia's Lair

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2004 07:32:10 PM »

Ah...don't buy anything yet ! LOL

Gimmie ONE DAY and I'll see what I can do for you.

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mizswim4him

yeah whatever..

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2004 07:34:58 PM »

lol. ok. ur deal sounds better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarah_1980
tallpoppycraft.com

tallpoppycraft.com :: Tall Poppy Craft Products

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2004 01:37:30 AM »

I know its so cringeworthy when you have to spend all this money when you're first starting out but you have to spend money to make money sometimes.

You've saved on the web design by doing it yourself so why not spend that saved money on web hosting / domain name services?

And definitely keep up the effort because in the end it will pay off for you.

Ah...don't buy anything yet ! LOL

Gimmie ONE DAY and I'll see what I can do for you.

Although this does sound interesting - hope you get something sorted   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 30, 2004 01:38:32 AM by sarah_1980 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah
http://www.tallpoppycraft.com
Tall Poppy Craft Products :: Handbag & Purse Making Supplies
amareluna
Head Nerd at Nyxia's Lair

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2004 12:57:36 PM »

I'm going to go ahead and buy a domain this afternoon and get started with setting up subdomains.

I'll let you know as soon as it's ready  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Taking Candid Wedding Photos
Photography Battery Tips
What Is Digital Photography?
The Rule of Thirds in Photography
Vertical Vs. Horizontal Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...