A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: herbal remedies for gums/teeth?  (Read 1378 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2004 06:35:46 AM »

i have major dentalphobia.  i'm also too broke to afford to go for check-ups/gum torture as often as i should.  so, i'm looking to brew up some mouthwash-type-thing that resembles those really pricey herbal preparations i spring for occasionally.  specifically the ones that are good for gingivitus.
i'm off to google, but has anyone here ever made something like this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goldigold
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004 09:04:16 AM »

Myrrh can be used as a natural toothpaste.  Its antibacterial properties are great for gums.  Clove oil works like Anbesol, its great for sore gums.  I use it when  my wisdom teeth give me heck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chazzycat

i luv monkeys, i do i do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004 10:54:08 AM »

your local community college probably has a dental hygeine program where you can get a really inexpensive cleaning/xrays ($15-$20).  they can also refer you to programs that help peeps without jobs/insurance get dental care, if you need a tooth drilled. i have the same prob..no $$ no insurance but i'll tell you it's better to get a tooth filled or get a cleaning than have a root canal!!! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004 02:23:08 PM by chazzycat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004 11:15:47 AM »

If you're looking for preventative methods, this isn't going to help. But, if you need pain relief, I can swear by the accupressure suggestion on this page: http://www.dhyansanjivani.org/toothache.asp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: www.thehandmademark et.com
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: www.thehandmaidens. com
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004 11:53:38 AM »

i do take advantage of the student dental clinics, but mainly i want to make a rinse that will help prevent gum disease while saving the $ i spend on the store-bought versions.  i'm going to experiment with some of the ingredients i've googled for and see what i come up with.
thanks for the suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lutheranchick
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004 12:13:02 PM »

Well, Listerine (and it's really cheap storebrand counterparts) contains herbal ingredients like myrrh. So go to a drugstore with a housebrand and pick some up.  You should also take a multivitamin, and drink good old flouridated tap water.
I've been in the "too poor to go to the dentist" situation and I feel for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
ABrockman
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004 04:31:06 PM »

I hate to say it but, ginigivitis has a bit more to do with oral hygeine.
I am almost(...in my forth year of dental school) a dentist, and when my patients have gingivitis its usually most inexpensively (and non-invasive for the serious dental-phobe) to just floss on a regular basis. Without getting too crazy on the details, gingivitis is caused by the accummulation of plaque (old food bits, saliva, and bacteria) between and on the gumline of teeth. Your gums DO NOT like plaque and get all red and funny and bleed alot (especially when you first start flossing) but when everything is squeaky clean, ginigivitis is not likely to be a problem.
BTW, if you are REALLY phobic, first, find a dentist you jive with then make sure that they would be willing to help you through an appointment. I regularly use nitrous (laughing gas) on my patients and recently started prescribing valium.
Oh, scope or a generic knock-off can help some people, but it ain't anything magical.
Hope it is ok that I said all that, I sometimes can't help myself
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danger.kitty
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004 05:48:25 PM »

Since gingivitis is *usually* an oral hygiene problem related to flossing, starting to floss is a good idea.  However, if your gums are too sensitive for flossing, LISTERINE (when used properly - swished around for 1 minute or whatever the directions say) has been proven to be equivalent to flossing.  Just FYI.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Crafty Aunt:  taking on 2011 one DIY gift at a time
http://craftyaunty.blogspot.com/
ABrockman
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004 09:17:31 AM »

Yes, you are right, listerine can be effective against gingivitis, but it isn't clinically as good as flossing
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joeyjojo666

Long Live Godzilla.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004 10:29:02 AM »

Firefly: What I use is tea tree oil. I rub (ugh) a little into my upper and lower gums. The taste will subside in a few moments.

-Joey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my latest stuff visit my Etsy shop:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=727

Also featured at:
http://www.ilikeseamonsters.com/catalog/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Raw Red Thai Curry
Red Thai Curry Ingredients
Making the Thai Paste for Red Thai Curry
Sweetening Red Thai Curry
Assembling Red Thai Curry
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...