A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,145
Currently Running With Scissors:
435 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bleach spattering?  (Read 1201 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HardCandy63

Short Attention Span Crafts Since Age Four.

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2005 05:07:29 PM »

Ok, so i'm making a hoodie, and i'm stencilling these birdies (hurrah!) on it. it's just a plain black zip-up. I want to do a couple bleach spatters on it too. I saw this at delias and it looked awesome, but $60 for a hoodie? my dear, i think not. So, i was wondering about the best method of actually SPATTERING the bleach....a toothbrush, paintbrush? also, should i mix the bleach with water? i'm pretty sure it's a 50/50 cotton-poly, or somewhere around there. Oh, also, what's the better method for putting these birdies on? iron-on, or stencil? thank you kindly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
happycrayon
where's bobette?

thats alright, i still got my guitar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005 05:18:06 PM »

i think, that a toothbrush would be good for like, small spatters, but if you want bigger ones, get an eye dropper, or somthing of the sort and do dots yourself where you want them. i would suggest maybe going to the thrift store and getting a sweatshirt topractice on, you know, splattering att different heights and stuff. also, DO NOT mix water with the bleach, it doesn't work right, at least from my experiences.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the traffic lights, they turn blue tomorrow
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005 05:22:55 PM »

i would actually recommend mixing the bleach with water.  you run the risk of the bleach eating right through the fabric if you don't.  this only happened to me once, so it might have been a freak accident, but it ruined the shirt.  hmph.  even just mixing a tiny bit of water would help, i think.  and don't leave the bleach on for too long.

make sure you do this in a well ventilated room (or better yet- outside), because bleach fumes can result in a nasty headache. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HardCandy63

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005 05:55:15 PM »

thanks, girls. How do you get the bleach off after? just wash it? rinse with water? i totally didn't even think about this. an eyedropper...good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005 07:59:01 PM »

i usually handwash with detergent (or dishsoap) to get the bleach out.  only because i worry about the slight chance that the bleach may rub up against some other item in the washing machine.  probably unlikely, but it only takes a minute or two. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

happycrayon
where's bobette?

thats alright, i still got my guitar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005 08:39:50 PM »

well, with my expirience, it was on jeans, and the water bleach didn't work. but i wasn't thinking that sweatshirt material isn't as strong as jeans, so you could totally try mixing in water, because the material isn't as strong. i dunno though. but with me, i did it outside on the grass, and then i just sprayed it with the hose. it was fine then....good luck!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the traffic lights, they turn blue tomorrow
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005 09:41:08 PM »

i had the same problem once with some denim...  i think it was stretch denim that had both spandex and polyester in it, both of which seem to have no reaction to the bleach.  the more cotton, the better the bleach seems to work, but i think cotton is also what is the most likely to be ruined by the bleach. 
putting the undiluted bleach on would probably be okay, i'm just always worried i'm going to end up with little holes everywhere. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HardCandy63

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005 07:16:42 AM »

Ok, so i'm thinking, on jeans, full bleach. I'm spattering jeans, too, btw, I'm finally getting around tyo distressing these really plain ones. I'm going to go with a toothbrush, i think, but a small & stiff one. and then for t-shirts...a 2:1 bleach to water? I really don't want to ruin any shirts, or get intense discolouration. and i think when it's done i'll just dunk it in a bucket of soapy water, the rinse & wash normally. Anyone see anything wrong with this? I feel so clueless, but i really don't want to ruin anything. thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2005 08:43:19 AM »

i think that'd be okay.  let us know how it turns out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retro_Turtle13

Im a Barbie Girl! In a Barbie World...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2005 10:17:40 AM »

This is a great thread! I dont have any helpfull tips I just wanted to keep my eye on it!  Smiley I would LOVE to see your sweatshirt after you have completed it as I have been thinking of doing something similar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit Grannyscupboard.net for great bath products made of all natural ingrediants. Soaps,Bath Balls, Shower Gels, Bubble Bath, Luxurious handcrafted soaps, and more. They are all at your fingertips! Go now!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Straighten Hair without a Straightener
How to Braid Your Hair
How to Backcomb Hair
How to Do a Beehive Hairstyle
How to French Braid Pigtails
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...