A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,121
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 41 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with fab pants that don't fit  (Read 5928 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

creatingme
« on: April 27, 2004 09:07:15 PM »

I brought a great pair of white capris at the thrift store but as with most of my pants they didn't fit because my butt is too large and my waist too small, which cause a large gap in the back which gets worse when I sit down.

So what's girl to do... well first I dyed them black but they came out a dark navy blue which was even better.

Then I used my seam ripper and opened up a small amount of the casting in the waist.  I threaded 1 and half inch elastic through  the casting and pulled it up to fit.  Then I hand sewed the elastic in place.  And ta-da no more undie action when I stand or sit.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
shade_n_shadow
The Jones.

teh knowledge- it fills me- IT IS NEAT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004 11:13:15 AM »

Awesome!

Another option would have been to open up the side seams and creat a dart-
you'd have to first figure out how much total you needed to take them in the get the fit you wanted, divide that in half, and  dart each side equally. I have the same problem with pants... since my accedent, my butt grew (being immobile for 6 months will do that to ya!) but my waist didn't. most commercial mass produced clothing (and commercial patterns) work with a 10 inch difference between the waist and hip measurements... mine is more like 13 or 14 inches! darts, grading, and changing where the waistband sits (by adjusting the crotch length) can all be utilised to make unwearable bottoms wearable:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy -Ben Franklin~~~
~~~Everytime I get with the program, somone changes the damn channel!~~~
~~~on one of those speech-to-text programs my friend ripped ass onto the mic.and it typed out "France"~~~
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004 11:45:14 AM »

I feel your pain sista good thing my man likes a big ass lmfao, just embrace your big ass ya know, could be worse you could have no ass at all, like my man. at least between the too of us we managed to produce a son with a nice butt, I know cause I hear the cheerleaders commenting on his ass and Im so proud lol.I like to embarass him by saying real loud thats my son over there the one with the cute ass.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
susank
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004 02:12:01 PM »

Thank god someone else has ideas on this.  I try to add extra darts to pants every once in a while, but it's so much work to take off and redo a waistband that I almost never get around to it.  I'm trying the elastic on my next pair.  Thanks creatingme.  Surely there are more of us out there with curves!

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

begin again

my original tape measure purse, still going strong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004 02:55:30 PM »

I defintiely like the elastic idea- I've tried darts before but they can wind up pokey looking- you know a bulge at the point- and I know there are tips to avoid this (not backstitching etc) but on heavy fabrics it seems to bulge no matter.
 I'll definitely be putting your innovativeness to use next pair

from a fella big bottomed girl makin' the world go round....

THIS ROCKS   Logged
yardenxanthe
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004 04:37:44 PM »

I hate that butt-gap!!  Belts don't work, either!

Nice job on your pants -- I like how they turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artasanoutlet

opinions were like kittens, i was giving 'em away

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004 02:52:04 PM »

ha ha.  i have the exact same problem.  what's with that?
i love my big booty but the clothing manufacturers refuse to recognize it.  if you've got a big curvy booty, they assume you've got a huge waist too.  honestly, the only pants i use to be able to find that fit were mudd and lei.  however, i'm over those and want some quality pants that fit cute.
i have a pair of jeans i've been needing to adjust. 

thanks,
angie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://myOlivette.etsy.com

i also have my artwork on
 http://www.artish.org  under the  angie montgomery gallery
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004 04:24:33 PM »

I have that exact same problem.  You're right yardenxanthe, belts don't work to fix it at all.  The gap just creeps out from under the belt in the form of baby gaps.  The elastic is a great idea!

One thing that I've done to solve this problem is to use my seam ripper to rip a small hole on either side of the fly through just one layer of the waist band.  Then I run ribbon through like the waist band is a casing and voila! instant drawstring.  Though my mother does seem to disapprove of the bright green ribbon always hanging under my shirt whenever I go to visit her.  eh, moms...    Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
craftybelle
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004 05:25:48 PM »

Awesome idea! Ive always just taken in the sides but sometimes they dont turn out like I want them to! I'll have to try your way next time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Celebrate we will-
for life is short but sweet for certain.
DMB
arrhythmia
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006 08:20:21 PM »

This is great. Perfect solution!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 5 Best Natural Skin Care Products
Three Beauty Products That Moisturize With Hyaluronic Acid
Top 3 Antioxidant-Packed Snacks for Beautiful Skin
DIY Lip Plumper
Cindy Crawford and Sonia Kashuk Share Makeup Secrets
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...