A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 307,986
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nuno Felt Scarf  (Read 20422 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005 04:53:29 AM »

Very cool!  I don't know how to felt, but I'm very interested in learning how.  Awesome projects like these keep me inspired to keep learning new crafting techniques!  Awesome job!

If you're interested in felting, check out the following tutorial posts and do give it a go!
Feel free to ask us any questions and we'll do our best to share what we know Wink

Wet felting :
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=56350.0

needle felting:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=51271.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=51942.0

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane2
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005 07:53:34 AM »

lynnidings;

Does it have to be silk chiffon specifically?
Scarves - from thrift shops - may not be "chiffon" but they aren't terribly expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lynnidings
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005 10:17:17 AM »

From what I understand, it has to be a natural material with an open weave, so it should work with cotton muslin as well. The wool won't felt to synthetic fibres (not easily anyway which is why polyester or nylon netting is used as a resist). I asked the workshop teacher about doing it with other types of silk like habotai and she said that habotai was too slippery and the weave was too tight for wool fibres to work their way through although if you found a cheap scarf, you could experiment on it.

Update: I was talking to a felting friend and she said that she has felted onto habotai silk. She started out with prefelt cut out into shapes. I might give it a go sometime and let you know how that goes.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2005 06:39:04 AM by lynnidings » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005 02:40:02 PM »

From what I understand, it has to be a natural material with an open weave, so it should work with cotton muslin as well. The wool won't felt to synthetic fibres (not easily anyway which is why polyester or nylon netting is used as a resist). I asked the workshop teacher about doing it with other types of silk like habotai and she said that habotai was too slippery and the weave was too tight for wool fibres to work their way through although if you found a cheap scarf, you could experiment on it.

Just thinking out loud here, but couldn't you combine needle felting + wet felting to try use thick fabrics? Ie, lay out the fabric + fibre as you like, poke it with the felting needle only a couple of times in a wide area to help it work it's way through, and then wet felt as usual?

Not something I've tried, but I've considered it for the denim challange
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lynnidings
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005 03:10:10 PM »

I think that a combination of needle and wet felting would work on heavier fabrics. I don't have any denim handy to experiment with and I'd be interested to see what you are able to come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nuno930
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2005 10:26:42 AM »

I just like the name  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corduroy cat
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005 03:26:44 PM »

the more examples of nuno felting i see, the more i'm hankering to try it!! can anyone provide a tutorial? it's basically wet felting with layers of fiber and muslin right? i read somewhere that it works best with certain types of wool, what would happen if i tried merino?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lynnidings
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005 03:48:55 PM »

Give it a go! I did mine with merino wool. I wish I had taken photos of the process. It took ages for the wool to felt to the silk so keep checking on it as you're rubbing it to make sure that the wool as felted to the silk (or muslin) before attempting to pick it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ma2maya
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2005 05:20:45 PM »

Update: I was talking to a felting friend and she said that she has felted onto habotai silk. She started out with prefelt cut out into shapes. I might give it a go sometime and let you know how that goes.

From what I have read about Nuno felting, you can use synthetic fibers. What seems to matter is the weave i.e. a thick fabric with a tight weave probably would give poor results.
Here is artist Zia Gipson's process.

Kathy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Desert Dyeworks Color, meet Fabric!!
shsh
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2005 04:39:38 PM »

this is splendid! i'm in love! it looks like an amazing sea creature. beautiful!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When people have lost their authentic personal taste, they lose their personality and become the instruments of other people's wills.--Robert Graves

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonrhythm/
http://del.icio.us/dandelion
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
We Can Do It!
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...