A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nuno Felt Scarf  (Read 17952 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lynnidings
« on: September 16, 2005 02:58:13 PM »

I went to a felt making workshop earlier this week and I made my first piece of nuno felt. It was made with with some silk chiffon, wool and reclaimed denim fibres. I'm pleased with how it turned out and I've been able to wear it for the last couple of days as it has been unseasonably chilly.

Close up of both sides of the scarf.

One of my favourite parts of the scarf is the piece of reclaimed denim where you can still see the weave. I was hoping it wouldn't fall off when I was done felting it and it's stayed on. I wish I had brought my camera to document the process for a tutorial but I left it at home. D'oh! Next time I'll try to remember.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

GraceOblivious
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005 04:49:56 PM »

Ooooooohhhhhhh, aaahhhhhhhhhhhhh, wonderful scarf!!  Awesome and inspiring.  Great color, great texure!  Love seeing your work, thanks so much for posting it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
xcaffeinecrushx
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005 04:53:49 PM »

oh my goodness

that scarf is amazing!!!

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane Doe

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005 01:14:42 AM »

Wow lynnidings, your felt is so delicate and fine!

I so want to touch it.
Am I right in assuming you lay wool on both sides of the silk chiffon?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lynnidings
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005 10:56:50 AM »

Thanks for the comments!

For this scarf, I only laid out wool on one side of the scarf. The felting process pulls the wool through the open weave of the chiffon and somehow it all forms one piece. I think that you could put wool on both sides but it does work with just one. I had to rub it for ages before the wool fibres started getting attached to the silk, much longer than I would do for just wool. Also I started off with a pretty long piece of chiffon (2m, or approx 2yds) and it felted down to be just over 1 m long. Some of the other people in the workshop didn't felt their pieces as much and the so the silk didn't shrink and pucker as much, but the wool and silk were still well attached. I am eager to do more Nuno experiments but silk chiffon is quite pricey so I'll have to think carefully about what I'm going to make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

corduroy cat
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005 01:28:31 PM »

oooh pretty! the pic of it stretched out on the grass makes it look like a big soft blue caterpillar! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gebah

this is a test....lol

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005 06:41:55 AM »

very cool....i recently got some felting needles & can't wait to try my luck....

did you also felt onto denim???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005 07:40:42 AM »

very cool....i recently got some felting needles & can't wait to try my luck....

did you also felt onto denim???

This piece of felt wasn't made using felting needles, it was wet-felted.
Do share your work and progress with the needles though. I've just bought my first felting needles about a month ago and they're so much fun  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainbow_art

taste the rainbow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005 05:43:06 AM »

That is such an amazing pretty scarf, good job i love it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AubreyD
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005 07:50:20 PM »

Very cool!  I don't know how to felt, but I'm very interested in learning how.  Awesome projects like these keep me inspired to keep learning new crafting techniques!  Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane Doe

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2005 04:53:29 AM »

Very cool!  I don't know how to felt, but I'm very interested in learning how.  Awesome projects like these keep me inspired to keep learning new crafting techniques!  Awesome job!

If you're interested in felting, check out the following tutorial posts and do give it a go!
Feel free to ask us any questions and we'll do our best to share what we know Wink

Wet felting :
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=56350.0

needle felting:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=51271.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=51942.0

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane2
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005 07:53:34 AM »

lynnidings;

Does it have to be silk chiffon specifically?
Scarves - from thrift shops - may not be "chiffon" but they aren't terribly expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lynnidings
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005 10:17:17 AM »

From what I understand, it has to be a natural material with an open weave, so it should work with cotton muslin as well. The wool won't felt to synthetic fibres (not easily anyway which is why polyester or nylon netting is used as a resist). I asked the workshop teacher about doing it with other types of silk like habotai and she said that habotai was too slippery and the weave was too tight for wool fibres to work their way through although if you found a cheap scarf, you could experiment on it.

Update: I was talking to a felting friend and she said that she has felted onto habotai silk. She started out with prefelt cut out into shapes. I might give it a go sometime and let you know how that goes.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2005 06:39:04 AM by lynnidings » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005 02:40:02 PM »

From what I understand, it has to be a natural material with an open weave, so it should work with cotton muslin as well. The wool won't felt to synthetic fibres (not easily anyway which is why polyester or nylon netting is used as a resist). I asked the workshop teacher about doing it with other types of silk like habotai and she said that habotai was too slippery and the weave was too tight for wool fibres to work their way through although if you found a cheap scarf, you could experiment on it.

Just thinking out loud here, but couldn't you combine needle felting + wet felting to try use thick fabrics? Ie, lay out the fabric + fibre as you like, poke it with the felting needle only a couple of times in a wide area to help it work it's way through, and then wet felt as usual?

Not something I've tried, but I've considered it for the denim challange
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lynnidings
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005 03:10:10 PM »

I think that a combination of needle and wet felting would work on heavier fabrics. I don't have any denim handy to experiment with and I'd be interested to see what you are able to come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nuno930
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2005 10:26:42 AM »

I just like the name  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corduroy cat
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005 03:26:44 PM »

the more examples of nuno felting i see, the more i'm hankering to try it!! can anyone provide a tutorial? it's basically wet felting with layers of fiber and muslin right? i read somewhere that it works best with certain types of wool, what would happen if i tried merino?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lynnidings
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005 03:48:55 PM »

Give it a go! I did mine with merino wool. I wish I had taken photos of the process. It took ages for the wool to felt to the silk so keep checking on it as you're rubbing it to make sure that the wool as felted to the silk (or muslin) before attempting to pick it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ma2maya
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2005 05:20:45 PM »

Update: I was talking to a felting friend and she said that she has felted onto habotai silk. She started out with prefelt cut out into shapes. I might give it a go sometime and let you know how that goes.

From what I have read about Nuno felting, you can use synthetic fibers. What seems to matter is the weave i.e. a thick fabric with a tight weave probably would give poor results.
Here is artist Zia Gipson's process.

Kathy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Desert Dyeworks Color, meet Fabric!!
shsh
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2005 04:39:38 PM »

this is splendid! i'm in love! it looks like an amazing sea creature. beautiful!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When people have lost their authentic personal taste, they lose their personality and become the instruments of other people's wills.--Robert Graves

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonrhythm/
http://del.icio.us/dandelion
lynnidings
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2005 01:30:37 AM »

ma2maya, I think you might be right, I haven't tried it but if a synthetic material has an open enough weave, the wool fibres would be able to work their way through to create a bond.

shsh, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ma2maya
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2005 01:14:43 PM »

Yeah...I can't remember where I read about the use of synthetic fabrics as the base weave. I possibly inferred it from Zia's Web site and its gallery of her pieces. She had one or two with a polyester base weave.

I also don't think it would make a difference if the base weave was synthetic or natural because either would bond to the wool through the felting action of the wool to itself through the loose weave.

Kathy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Desert Dyeworks Color, meet Fabric!!
me_and_a_gun18
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2005 01:19:12 PM »

nuno felting is fun, but a pain in the back, thats a cool scarf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we are like the living dead
JoyousBohemian
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2005 01:28:10 PM »

me_and_a_gun, I agree on the pain in the back.  Our teacher had us stand in almost a yoga down-dog to do ours.  I felt like going through the whole sun salutation afterwards instead!

lynnidings, where did you take your class? Mine was at Halcyon Yarn in Bath, Maine.  I'd be interested to know if more classes are being taught around the country.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my hand-dyed fiber!
portfiber.etsy.com
lynnidings
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2005 03:52:53 PM »

JoyousBohemian, I took my class in Surrey, England, so that's probably not helpful. I used to live in NYC and I think that The Yarn Tree in Brooklyn and Make Workshop on the Lower East Side have classes in feltmaking.

me_and_a_gun18, I totally agree, Nuno is a big pain in the back. It takes so much longer than regular felting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Project Cain Book Trailer
Geoffrey Girard Explains Cain’s Blood
Christopher Rice: What Are You Reading?
Colleen Hoover: What Are You Reading?
Architect’s Suburban Home Haven For City Artists
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...