A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
790 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tiered Skirt Tutorial  (Read 31624 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

The Smiling Frog
« on: September 16, 2005 09:35:13 AM »

Hello, I haven't posted much, mostly been stalking. Anyway I made this tutorial for live journal and thought I'd post it here too.-

Ok this is my first tutorial so I hope I have explained everything all right. I would say this is for a somewhat experienced seamstress.

<lj-cut> You will need about 3 3/8 yards of fabric. A non-stretchy thin fabric. I used this bleached cotton muslin. Then I tie dyed it.
If you want it shorter take a tier or more off. It's a pretty long skirt. It fits up to a 44" waist. If you need it bigger add however many inches you need on, just make sure you add the same amount on all the tiers. Make sure you add about an 1" for seam allowance and about 5" for movement.

Cut the pieces out as follows-
tier 1- the yoke- 23 1/2" long, 6" wide cut 2 of these
tier 2- 27" long, 6" wide, cut 2
tier 3- 30 1/3" long, 6" wide, cut 2
tier 4- 36" long, 6" wide, cut 2
tier 5- 41" long, 6" wide, cut 2
tier 6- 32" long, 6" wide, cut 3
tier 7- 38" long, 6" wide, cut 3
tier 8- 43" long, 6" wide, cut 3

Sew sections of each tier together to form circles. Gather one end of tier 1 and sew it to tier 2. Gather the bottom of tier 2 and sew it to tier 3. Gather the bottom of tier 3 and sew it to tier 4 and keep repeating this with all the tiers. Remember right sides together, finish your seams and take the basting stitch you used for gathering out.
Turn the bottom of the skirt under and top stitch. Turn the top under to form a casing, measure your elastic, pull it through and sew up the casing.

I didn't follow the grain of the fabric correctly because I didn't have enough fabric and it came out ok. If you do that just watch out because the pieces will be stretchy.

To gather I use two rows of basting stitch and leave the end threads long, then pull them. I gathered each section of the tiers to get more even gathers. It is just slightly gathered not really ruffly. Hope I explained it ok, if you have any questions I'll try to answer them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gypsysoul3
PinkBird Creations

take it light, and take flight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005 10:45:12 AM »

oh, thanks so much! there seem to be a few tutorials around for these kinda skirts, and i'm dying to make one. the "pattern" i have now was something i concocted from 2 other tutorials here....yours seems pretty concise. i'll probably be using it....let you know how it turns out.

i also love that you tie-dyed it. my husband teases me sometimes for tie-dying. (i mostly do old shirts/bras, etc). i have some white eyelet fabric around--i may have to make my tiered skirt with that, and tie-dye it.

lovely work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinkbird.net
uncommon, handmade jewelry, accessories, and wearable art.

on etsy: http://www.pinkbird.etsy.com

Read my blog: http://pinkbirdcreations.blogspot.com/
The Smiling Frog
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005 04:04:06 AM »

oh, thanks so much! there seem to be a few tutorials around for these kinda skirts, and i'm dying to make one. the "pattern" i have now was something i concocted from 2 other tutorials here....yours seems pretty concise. i'll probably be using it....let you know how it turns out.

i also love that you tie-dyed it. my husband teases me sometimes for tie-dying. (i mostly do old shirts/bras, etc). i have some white eyelet fabric around--i may have to make my tiered skirt with that, and tie-dye it.

lovely work!

Thanks a lot! I hope everything is fairly clear. Good thing about skirts like that, they're hard to mess up and if you do you can't notice.
Tie-dying is awesome. I'm not very expert at it. I just randomly tie things up with elastic and bunch it all together. I never know how it'll come out, but that's half the fun in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grapefruiit
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005 02:18:42 AM »

im not all that into tie dye but wow that looks great
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redpopsicles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005 06:29:20 PM »

This skirt looks great.  I have made one before, but it didn't turn out well.  Maybe this tutorial will help me out a little.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005 06:57:59 PM »

i'm confused...  you gathered the bottoms of the tiers?

wouldn't you have to gather the tops of the tiers because each tier will be larger than the tier before it?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005 07:00:36 PM by smarmyclothes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Smiling Frog
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005 04:10:53 AM »

Um let me think. You don't gather the first tier. You gather the top of the nest tier, yeah I guess you would go down the skirt like that gathering the top of each tier. Sorry about that. It was hard to think of how to do it and write it down. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005 11:33:15 AM »

Um let me think. You don't gather the first tier. You gather the top of the nest tier, yeah I guess you would go down the skirt like that gathering the top of each tier. Sorry about that. It was hard to think of how to do it and write it down. Undecided

that's okay.  i was just looking at your tutorial thinking, "hmmmm, i've never done it like that!"  and then once i started thinking about it, i couldn't get it to make sense in my head.  you skirt is really cute though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xoxcitylovexox

Hi my name is Jessica I have a yarn buying problem

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005 04:45:19 PM »

OH MY GOD!!! i absolutely LOVE that!! i am soo into the hippy chic look, and i love the colors!! ughh **steals skirt and runs**...hahah just kidding, but it  is majorly cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Smiling Frog
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005 06:46:53 PM »

lol, thanks! I'm going to make some up to sell on my web site. They probably won't come out the same though. Tie-dyeing's fun though, you never know how it'll come out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Drawing with the Oval Tool
Macromedia Flash 8 - Drawing with the Rectangle Tool
Macromedia Flash 8 - Working with a Stylus and a Tablet
Macromedia Flash 8 - Painting Using the Various Brush Modes
Macromedia Flash 8 - Using the Brush and Paint Bucket Tools to Fill
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...