A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,212
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: In the Navy!  (Read 605 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oxfamglam
« on: September 15, 2005 10:15:14 AM »

My boyfriend is in the Navy and though he's shoreside at the moment and gets to come home pretty regularly he is still 2 1/2 hours away and gets bored really, really easily. He's just not amused by DVD's and video games anymore! He also does crazy duties (8am - 2pm and 8pm - 2am) and needs something to keep him awake but doesn't distract him from protecting the ship (and nothing shocking, he's got a loaded rifle!!).

Also, next year he's probably going to the Far East for 6 months and I need some ideas for little bits I can send him over that time and a package I can send him off with to keep him entertained, help him along with the homesickness and, obviously, to keep him missing me!

Thank you for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CellophaneFlowers
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005 03:14:06 PM »

My boyfriend is joining the Navy at the end of this year. I made a scrapbook/journal of our relationship for our one-year anniversary this year, and we plan to fill another page every month we're together after that. I thought that would be nice to send with him. You could make him a blanket to keep warm while he's on duty, or maybe some sort of game/activity that doesn't require a lot of concentration to keep him entertained.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faith and begorrah...
ellseybell

It's a hard job being a beautiful assistant...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005 09:23:36 AM »

I know it's corny and you may have already done it... but what about an electronic Battleship game?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever." -- Judge Judy
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005 09:52:39 AM »

When my brother joined the navy my mother and I made him up an emergency kit that contained water wings, toilet paper roll telescope (with bikini babe in scope) shark repellant (made the label stuck it on aerosol can) toilet mop for swabbing the decks etc etc etc we just went to town on all the typical stereotypes about sailors.  He said he laughed his ass off Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lv2ScrpBk
-~Alicia Ann~-

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005 10:00:09 AM »

When he's away you should definetely send him home baked goodies, he and everyone around him will love you for it. But to occupy him... does he have a fav tv show you can tape and send to him, what about a book of word searches or you could make crossword puzzles with different themes involving your relationship. How about a good book or maybe some magazines. Well thats all I got for now, good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."<br /><br />"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Devine"
kirbay831
Regularly Addicted

yes, im baby obsessed, i know.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005 02:32:01 AM »

lollll teach him to knit?!

yeah.. im not very helpful =/

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them. If you hate someone, hate them until it hurts." -Henry Rollins
gingery
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005 09:01:49 AM »

I'm in the Navy... I can tell you from first hand experience the kind of stuff you want when you go on deployment.  I've spent a great deal of time away from home, and here are things my friends/family sent to me (most of which I requested.)

Crossword puzzles -  A book of crossword puzzles definitely comes in handy.  They're usually small too, so they don't take up alot of space. 

newspapers or favorite magazines - Sometimes its difficult to find US magazines overseas.. I've never been too fond of reading them while I was home, but it was nice to read about what was going on stateside while I was away.

books - I think this one is pretty self explanatory.

nutella!! - if he likes that stuff send it!  Navy food just plain sucks, and you can put that stuff on almost anything.  I swear, I've lived off that stuff for a month at a time. 

febreeze - male or female, lots of sailors in a berthing = stink.  Doesn't matter how clean a person is.. if you have a bunch of people that work long hard days (which is usually the case on deployment) it's going to stink.  Febreeze is a Godsend Smiley

Baked goods - I think the most versatile baked good is rice crispy treats.  My mom sent me those while I was in Kuwait, and they were still pretty fresh when they got there and didn't go stale right away. 

A nice soft fleece blanket - Navy issue blankets are made from wool and are really itchy.. and they smell kind of funny Sad

Is he going to be on a ship or living in a tent?  There are certain things you need when living in a tent for an extended period of time, that wouldn't be necessary while living on a ship... like toilet paper, baby wipes, twine, etc. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Saving a Document
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Preview Modes
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Placing Guides on Multiple Pages
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Customizing Guide Colors
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Control Palette Calculations
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...