A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: zimmermann beads UPDATE: i made them! so EASY! + mini tute (pic heavy)  (Read 33691 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

clarejosephine

doo do doo, do do do dooo, do do do doooooo

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2005 06:34:23 AM »

(THIS ORIGINALLY WAS IN DISCUSSIONS AND QUESTIONS)

hey anyone here seen the latest zimmermann collection at aussie fashion week?
they made them for the show only, but i saw like a kind of close up shot of them in STYD (shop till you drop) magazine like a few months ago and they look really simple...
i was just wondering if anyone has attempted this, it looks like they have covered the beads in the fabric of the outfit and like separated it with different beads... its actually sounding very confusing but if you check this site out, http://www.zimmermannwear.com/ and go to the 'clothing' section, you will be able to see the beads i'm talking about... i might draw a picture to get across my message....

cos see ive made myself an outfit for the melbourne cup (aussies will know what im on about) and i was thinking of making some crazy beads with this awesome fabric i have leftover... let me know if you guys understand what i mean and if you think it would be achievable...
do you think the inside beads should be wooden? im just not sure if it would be light enough... ill have to muck around and give it ago..
id love to hear back from you jewellery making professionals out there.. hahah i.e. myself not ever having made jewellery before... but this idea has really stuck with me...
id love to hear back!
 Smiley

UPDATE:
Ok so i never got around to scanning the images of them in the magazine, but its ok ive got something WAY better! i MADE them! and i think im in love, im planning to wear them to the melbourne cup, oh i love them so much, the funnest things ive ever done and SO SO SO EASY!

Ok heres some pictures of them:

^ thats a close up of the beads, i had about 60 wooden beads with some leftover when i made this

^ closeup of the bead i had that the fabric went through... if that makes sense...

^ theres a shot of them, i had to make it way smaller cos the file size was like still huge if i included all of them

^ another shot of them

^ thats a closeup of the fabric section i use to join the necklace together at the end.. that was like the hardest bit
very fiddly

^ hanging on the doorknob

Ok so going from the image that i did at the very beginning about these beads, what i ended up doing was sewing a thin tube of fabric (seam on the inside) that would fit the largest wooden beads - make sure its as long as you want the necklace to be.. maybe a bit longer. Then i threaded the fabric tube through the golden bead. That was the beginning, then you put the wooden bead INSIDE the tube and push it all the way down. Next you thread the tube through another golden bead, then you put another wooden one inside, etc. etc. etc. its VERY EASY!

When I came to joining it together i struggled a bit cos i didnt REALLY know what i was doing... what i ended up doing was getting another bit of fabric without a bead inside.. it was a bit tricky for me to get the machine around it with a bead in there.. but if you were not as lazy as me you'd be able to hand-stitch it no worries. so you put the tube inside this other tube of fabric with the cover up beads threaded on, then you sew it up and slide the cover up beads across over the sewed section.. and your done! coolest beads ever.. i really do love these things

ok, if that was a bit difficult to understand, let me know.. ive never really done tutes, and i dont know if that qualifies as one.. but yeh...

hope you like my beads as much as i do!!  Grin
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005 04:25:55 PM by clarejosephine » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i havea wee bitta space.
booyah.
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005 01:37:04 PM »

Which picture are you talking about?  Because what you are describing at the moment is a trend from the 80's that I wish had never happened to begin with, let alone come back.  That isn't to say it couldn't be cool, but it was completely uncool the first time around, and I've never seen a cool example, so knowing which picture you are talking about, or especially being able to see a closeup, would perhaps improve my outlook.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
clarejosephine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005 03:56:27 PM »

ok well ill go find the magazine shortly and scan a pic in for you, i know the ones on the zimmermann site arent that good, but yeh, i think its cool anyway - you wouldn't happen to have any info or links or anything to the bad 80's version...?
ill post pics in a day or two!
thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i havea wee bitta space.
booyah.
clarejosephine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005 04:16:08 PM »

im too lazy to scan the images, put ive posted an update cos i actually made them! wahoo...

does that mean i should move this post??? im not sure what the deal is...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i havea wee bitta space.
booyah.
clarejosephine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005 04:34:28 PM »

ok... i moved it, had some trouble but yeh... im talking to myself...
again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i havea wee bitta space.
booyah.
star_inmypocket
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005 11:32:18 PM »

I think those look great! I love the pink fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the works of man have their origin in creative fantasy. What right have we then to depreciate imagination? -Jung

http://LuluMcCleary.etsy.com
http://thelifeoflulubelle.wordpress.com
http://pinterest.com/lulumccleary/
mariska

play's the thing ;)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005 03:24:51 AM »

i like them!! and i don't care if they are originally from the eighties! (i usually hate most of the things coming from that style-disaster era)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

think outside the box
smokingmonkey
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005 08:14:28 AM »

The ones you made are nice, but I too remember them from the first time around, made with hideous fabrics (a lot of times in my least favorite color combo of navy, forest green and maroon - if that combo comes back I'm going to stab my eyes out) and gold pony beads worn by teachers and old ladies, and sold at country themed craft fairs. *shudder*

Your pinky red fabric is nice though, and the super long length updates it a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kapreasha
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005 01:52:37 PM »

I remember those!! My mom had some and I used to play with them when I was little. I agree with earlier posters that the ones from the '80s weren't all that cute, mainly because of the chosen fabrics. I don't remember seeing any with beads on the outside though, so you're being original on that part. I actually like them Grin If you have a cool fabric and cool beads, it's awesome, at least in my opinion anyway! Great job and thanks for the tute! I think I'll make some for old time's sake. Hmmmm... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
surfergrl311

&& don't be so so sure. this is all it adds up to

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2005 06:01:42 PM »

very cool...i might try this out. These fabric wrapped beads are in bracelet form in the new Delias catalog
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to do the Ace of Spades Cut - Part 2
How to do the Ace of Spades Cut - Part 1
How to Curl Hair with A Flat Iron
How to change an Old Hairstyle for a New Look
How to get a New Look for Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...