A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip:  What do vegan zombies eat?  GRAINNNNNNS.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
376 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "MANLY" baby BOY patterns  (Read 4284 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

subloke
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2005 12:36:00 PM »

On one hand, these discussions are what make Craftster fun, but on the other hand, they do tend to get a bit far off topic... 

I'll jump in for a minute and then i'm back to knitting cargo pants out of leftover camoflage yarn for the baby boys.

While I do believe in the power of words, and I do believe that we should not push children to avoid certain toys or clothing because it isn't "for" their gender, I don't believe that asking for or referring to a pile of flesh for a baby by a gender specific word is going to imprint any sort of stereotype on the intended recipient. 

I wanted "manly" patterns for my nephews.  I have lots of baby-ish patterns and while i am aware that they are babies, i thought it would be cool to have mini-versions of big boy clothing for them.  I wouldn't ask for "womanly" patterns for my niece because it's not a commonly used term to refer to clothing for little girls, and it infers a physical maturity i don't want associated with a 6 year old.  I have seen patterns for all kinds of clothing and accessories we would associate more with women (purses, coats etc) for little girls, and just because the word "womanly" is not applied to them doesn't make them any less "mature" looking or cute or whatever. 

Asking for "manly" clothes was not intended to imply that my nephews will never be allowed to be sensitive or caring or that they must go out hunting or be bullies.  (there should not be anything read into the camoflage yarn i'm using for the cargo pants.  it looks cute.  i had the yarn in my stash). 

I am proud that, on their own, my nephews and nieces seem to be a blend of all aspects of personality, including things that are not stereotypical for their gender.  My oldest nephew asked for, and received, an Easy Bake Oven one Christmas, and the same Christmas he got a hockey stick and gloves.  He played with both equally.  My younger niece was completely obsessed with dinosaurs and trucks for several years, even while she was equally obsessed with her Barbies. 

My friend's twins, a boy and a girl, play together with the same toys.  They play differently with their toys.  The little boy is ALL boy and the little girl is very "prissy" in some ways.  Their parents didn't imprint these attitudes on the kids, they developed them on their own.  They're 3. 
I grew up with a pink room (not my choice) and was dressed in "girl" clothing but nothing overly frilly or girly-girl.  I do not consider myself a "girly" woman, even though I played with dolls and had that pepto-bismal room.  I am watching football right now and taking a break from my knitting.  I am a blend of traits that are generally stereotyped to one gender or the other.  I don't think that being referred to as "girly" as opposed to "womanly" as a child affected me in the slightest.

Really, it will fall to the adults in the lives of these children to not draw focus to the gender stereotypes.  Pushing too hard for children to NOT fall into those stereotypes can be just as much of a strain to kids as pushing them to follow those stereotypes.  Let them be kids!

Whew.  i don't mean to offend anyone or to be argumentative.  i really do respect your opinions and this one is mine. 

back to football and knitting. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
NoelleNoodle
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2005 05:32:22 PM »

Roe, I'm sorry if you think I was overanalyzing or making anyone have to defend their right to ask for gender-specific clothes patterns.  I don't think anyone's lifestyle choice was being attacked so much as thoughts being expressed about obnoxious relatives that make my little in-law cousins cry and think they're not proper boys because they like playing with pots and pans.

One of my knits was referenced as a good example and I couldn't help pointing out the irony that it actually was considered too girly by some people's standards - because a lot of people have very different definitions of what makes an bone masculine or feminine.

I'll reiterate that I think a lot of the simpler patterns can be made masculine, feminine or neutral depending on the color of the yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roe
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2005 12:14:51 AM »

NoelleNoodle, I didn't think you in general were. I just think sometimes we get carried away with things and forget about the initial questions. I just think its funny that by asking a simple question it can turn into four pages of debate. And I know I should probably keep my two cents to myself, and probably will from now on! Wink

Subloke- Well said! I wish I could put things as well as you. Oh and please post pics of those cargo pants, they sound way too cute!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2005 09:05:54 AM »

I'm not gonna shake up the pop can again...

I just wanted to tell you that I finished the cargo pants.  Pics of one pair are on my blog here http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com/2005/09/progress-report.html.  I have both pairs done (twins) but only had a pic of one. 

I'll probably post some pics over in completed projects.  It's been a while since I've posted anything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Thai Tomato and Green Bean Salad
How to Make the Perfect Long Grain Rice
How to Cook Spicy Chicken Piri-Piri
Is Sushi Good for You
How to Make Vegetable Sushi for Kids
Latest Blog Articles
The Latest in Zombie Decor
I Am Zombie Homer
Beware! Zombunnies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...