A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,536
Currently Running With Scissors:
320 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "MANLY" baby BOY patterns  (Read 4283 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

subloke
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005 02:07:20 PM »

I too appreciate the different points of view. 

I hadn't really thought too much about it until I started looking at some of my mom's "layette" patterns.  They were all really lacey and when knit in blue, were considering for boys.  If it was me and I had a baby boy, I would want non-lacey clothing (actually, boy or girl I would want non-lacey clothing) for the baby.  I love the look of a basic hoodie done in strong colors or in neutrals for a baby.  It looks like a mini-dad pattern, you know? 

When I think "girly" baby clothing, there are flowers (like on anouk) or it's a dress or there is a ton of pink or purple, or there is a frill element or a lace pattern.  I realize that is gender stereotyping, but it's there non-the-less.  If I ever had kids of my own, they would be dressed like how I like to dress:  simple, neutral colors with the occasional stronger color thrown in.  No pastels.  No frilly bits. 

Thanks again for all the pattern links everyone! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2005 02:19:39 PM »

Ah hah!  There's the problem.  I don't like frilly or lacy either.  (Ok, that's not true.  I do like frilly and lacy, and I like pink a lot, but I've wasn't intent on making my baby a girly girl, and my husband wanted a daddy's little girl so bad he could hardly breath when the ultrasound showed a little girl, and since I WAS a daddy's little girl, tomboy all the way, I just took it for granted that my daughter would be too, and eventually she'd grow into her fashion sense and her femininity.)  So, most of the baby garments I've looked at are basic, mostly unisex sweaters and stuff.  The things that were girly I didn't even usually LOOK at, so I didn't even take them into consideration.  I was thinking of the majority of baby patterns I've SEEN, and wondering how they could be considered too girly.  Cheesy

So, I may not have mentioned it, but the Happy Baby Cardigan from Red Heart is pretty OK.  It's made with TLC Baby yarn, which is nice and soft.  Even the uber-manly friend's husband thought it was acceptable for his little guy.  The pattern says "Coming Soon" on the website, but it has for about three months or more, so I don't know when they'll have it available, but it's one of those you can find on the free leaflets at Walmart or the craft stores.  A nice basic cardigan and pants set with ribbed cuffs.  It has some stripes, too.  And if my husband were the type of guy who wore cardigans, I could make a giant version of it for him and it wouldn't look babyish at all.  Also, if the colors of the TLC Baby ARE too babyish, it's such a standard pattern that I'm sure you could use any other yarn of the same weight.  Plymouth Dreambaby would probably work really well.

Edited to add:  I still have a copy of this pattern, so if you want to see a picture of it, I can post one. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005 02:34:52 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
FarAboveRubies

Proverbs 31:10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005 05:49:19 AM »

I love to use non-traditional "Baby" colors too!  I love browns especially.  I think mainly because it's different than what you usually see on babies or at baby showers.  And also I think it does give the baby a "mini-adult" look which is cute.  They look more like a miniature grown up and are adorable!  Does that make sense?

I LOVE NoelleNoodle's pic of her neutral set on this thread:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=17136.500
it's just very simple and basic and non-frilly...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies...
she seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.'

visit my knitblog: www.faraboverubies31.blogspot.com
Yarnia
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2005 01:03:15 PM »

If you check out my website, I have a nice little boy blanket on there. http://www.chroniclesofyarnia.com

I really dislike pink and blue...but just my luck my youngest daughter LOVES pink. blech.

Have you checked out the little cargo pants on Knitty? Those are really cute too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.chroniclesofyarnia.com

http://www.beadsandpurls.com
Hand-dyed yarn, Hand-spun yarn, Hand-dyed roving, and Custom knit and patterns! We'll be ready to go mid-Feb!
FarAboveRubies

Proverbs 31:10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005 01:31:29 PM »

If you check out my website, I have a nice little boy blanket on there. http://www.chroniclesofyarnia.com

I really dislike pink and blue...but just my luck my youngest daughter LOVES pink. blech.

Have you checked out the little cargo pants on Knitty? Those are really cute too.

I like your site!  And the little knight blanket is very cool!  I'm very "into" browns right now.  I love it!

(*thanks* to eternallyeve for posting the link to knitty's cargo pants on pg.1 of this thread)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies...
she seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.'

visit my knitblog: www.faraboverubies31.blogspot.com
Roe
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2005 04:18:18 PM »

hey peeps, I really just wanted some BOY patterns!  Wink

I appreciate people having their own opinions, but I feel that some things get over-analyzed here on craftster.  I'm really not trying to start a gender war.  Can't a girl just request some good "MANLY" boy patterns and get it over with?   Grin

Let me clarify a little:
I'm really looking for some patterns that are stereotypical, traditional, "all-boy" type stuff.  Not just a pattern for a feminine sweater or hat - but if you knit it with "blue" yarn everyone will still think it's cute. 

Boy is this the truth. Honestly, I posted a question about a pattern and got the third degree on why the designer designed such a thing. Sometimes I wish i had a real person to talk to about knitting. But since i don't i have to hope that what I'm asking isn't going to rub somebody the wrong way and hope i get a ligate answer out of somebody. I don't even think anybody answered my question that I posted because this whole argument came about on why the designer designed it to begin with and my question was about gauge.

I have two boys and there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to dress them in boy clothes. Sometimes people just think a little too much about such trivial things.

on that note, i'm happy to have all these links to go through so thanks for posting them.

roe Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NoelleNoodle
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2005 07:59:12 PM »

Neat!  I've been following this thread then saw one of my knits referenced!   Kiss

I think its cool that we can end up discussing things like this - and get patterns.  But I like (good-spirited) overanalysis Wink

I'm a little hypersensitive about early assignment of stereotypical gender roles as well but that's because I've heard in-law uncles giving little male cousins a hard time about their choice of games or movies (that's what GIRLS watch/play with/wear) and it gets my hackles up a bit. 

One of the big reasons I chose to knit that kimono and the booties and hat in that neutral oatmeal yarn was because I wasn't sure if the baby was going to be a boy or a girl at that point and decided that I wanted to knit something that would look great on either.  Even so I was given a bit of a hard time about the kimono design (that baby kimono pattern in the summer interweave knits) being "girly", even with such neutral colored yarn being used, because the baby turned out to be a boy. 

But, these are people with a *very* specific definition of what is for boys and what's for girls.  I think it is unfair to have big hard and fast strict rules for what is and is not ok for their kids to wear or play with because of their sex like some of these relatives seem to.  Not saying anyone here does!  This subject just makes me think of them.  I think staunch attitudes like that end up making people a little defensive of their gender if they happen to like wearing something that might not be considered "feminine."  On the other hand, I've had to defend my girly pinkie poo choices to some women who think that by wearing something typically feminine  I'm conforming to partiarchial concepts of femininity.  It starts to get awfully confusing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with dressing your boy tot in boy tot clothes or girly girl in big girly pink flouncy things if that's what you (or they) like, as long as we enourage the kids that they're a boy or a girl no matter what color they're wearing (or toys they like to play with) I think it's ok Smiley

Most of the simpler baby patterns can be made masculine, feminine, or neutral by changing the yarn.  But I'm a strong believer in using good yarn and a simple pattern Smiley  As a matter of fact, my big wip right now is that devan cardigan from knitty (http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTdevan.html) which is modeled by a boy on their page but I'm making it with big girly pink and yellow striping sock yarn for my 1 yo niece.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LRS
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2005 06:33:15 AM »

NoelleNoodle,

Very well expressed.  One of my hot buttons on this is using a baby word, "girly",  to describe what is appropriate for little girls, but using an adult word, "manly", for little boys.  Let's let them all be babies. 

I've run into a lot of parents, mostly dads, who seem to think that the wrong choice of clothing or toys can ruin thier son's sexual development or identity.  But they don't think wearing jeans or playing with trucks will scar their daughters.  Very odd. 

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
Roe
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2005 09:19:08 AM »

But that's not the point here. FarAboveRubies never said that dressing a boy or a girl a certain way was wrong. All she said is that she wanted a "manly" boy pattern to knit. and by saying that she just meant "boy" not "girl". This is where i see the problem on craftster. by asking for a simple gender specific pattern, everybody has taken it the wrong way and totally turned nothing into something. I just think we shouldn't over analyze something so simple as asking for a gender specific pattern, and maybe attack somebody who really feels that boys shouldn't dress in girl clothes.

Just a thought. I know i get frustrated when I ask a pretty harmless question and in return get attacked on something so far off the subject. It just makes me feel like I can't ask questions. And thats not the point of Craftster. At least thats my opinion. I joined because i don't know anybody who knits and i thought it would be nice to have a support group.

And look what happened here, I am totally over analyzing the point that we shouldn't over analyze. See what happens.

Phooey!

my two cents for what its worth Smiley

Roe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LRS
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2005 12:11:01 PM »

Roe,

Words mean something.  I don't object to boy clothes and girl clothes.  I do object to using infantile words for girl babies and adult words for boy babies.  A request for a "boyish" pattern would have made sense to me. Asking for a "manly" pattern does not.  Can you imagine someone requesting a "womanly" pattern for a baby girl?

You can read this sort of discussion as attack or you can read it as a conversation about the way various people see the world.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Waffle House Waffles Recipe
How to make Mushroom Sliders
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
How to Make Baked Beans
How to Make Chicken Marsala
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #107: Bottle It Up Winner!
Tute Tuesday: Whitman's Sampler
The Zombie Trend: Now... Sheep!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...