A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: newbie question - my scarf keeps getting smaller!!...  (Read 6733 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sleepywalkin
« on: September 14, 2005 09:53:50 AM »

ok, dumb question, i'm sure...

- i'm learning to crochet.  i haven't bought a book yet, but i plan to.  i figure you might be able to answer my Q in the meantime.  i started with a chain about 7.5 inches long...and somehow i dropped (?) stiches so now it's about 6 inches long.  i've done about 10 rows i guess.  if i keep this up, my "scarf" will only be big enough to cover my pinkie finger!  what am i doing wrong? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - oscar wilde
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005 10:00:17 AM »

count your stitches. do you still have the same amount or are there some missing? if there are some missing stitches, pull out your work until you get back to a row before you began losing stitches (dropping), and try again.

if you aren't dropping stitches, your work may just be getting tighter. this is normal as you progress in your crocheting skills; your stitches will naturally get neater. you may want to consider pulling out your whole scarf (I know, what a pain!) and starting over. you'll be much more satisfied with the results, I promise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
Debzzzbee
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005 07:29:55 PM »

Are you working in single or double crochet? You may be inserting the hook into the wrong stitch(es) as you go back-n-forth across the rows. Single crochet is easiest for beginners (less 'loops' to keep track of !) And...dont buy a book unless you can get one for cheap. Most crochet magazines (and some knitting ones) have instructions for the basic stitches you need, but if you are learning crochet to keep as an ongoing hobby...I would suggest investing in a book that covers mostly stitches and 'how-to' rather than books with many patterns. You can get tons of patterns online for free, and many online tutorials available too...one that was helpful to me was www.stitchguide.com
Hope I have helped! Let us know how that scarf is turning out.  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sleepywalkin
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005 04:41:41 AM »

thanks so much!  i did look at books last night and realized that i didn't want to spend $20 when i could probably find the same info online.  once i get the hang of it, maybe i'll invest. 

i'm off to that web site now that you recommended.  thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - oscar wilde
dntysgrplm
Make Things With Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005 12:46:01 PM »

When I first started, my problem was that each new row I made was one stitch too short because I wasn't going all the way to the end, I was stopping short.  So the first row had 30, the next 29, the next 28.  I started marking the beginning of each new row with a saftey pin or scrap of contrasting yarn, so that I know when I was coming back which stitch was the first(last) stitch.  Hope that helped. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

callmeurine
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005 08:40:06 PM »

When I first started, my problem was that each new row I made was one stitch too short because I wasn't going all the way to the end, I was stopping short.  So the first row had 30, the next 29, the next 28. 

That is exactly the same thing that happened to me.  After practicing a lot and finding out exactly what the end of a row looked like, I figured it out and then they were all even.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<4,
Shelley
PurpleHeather
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005 01:14:04 AM »

This is happening to me at the moment - I reckon I need to frog back quite a few rows, as I suspect it's a combo of dropping a few stitches, and my tension improving.  LuckilyI have a 2.5 hour train journey & about 12 hours of car journeys over this weekend that I can crochet in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

determinedimprovisation

overly-excited crafter of all trades

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005 10:46:11 AM »

with the end of the row thing--make sure you chain one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bag_lady
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005 10:51:44 AM »

are you keeping your tension even?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005 11:56:33 AM »

this is very common. my first projects went the same way. are you using a simple worsted weight yarn or a cool, fancy fuzzy yarn? sometimes, especially for beginners, it's best to stick with the Red Heart-type yarn. simple. no fuzzy wuzzy. the fuz hides the stitches. once you get a few projects under your belt, you'll begin to "see" the last stitch (which is usually a chain of 2 or 3 stitches, depending on the stitch of the scarf).  a lot of times that chain sticks too close to the last dc, hdc, or whatever and you don't see it.

the best way, if you want to stick with your nice yarn, is to sit with no tv or radio and count your stitches out loud as your stitch. after about 10 rows you should be catching on. there's really no way to teach this without just doin' it.

good luck! btw, i still can't make a scard using a very nice soft fuzzy yarn!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make The Spicy Brunch Dish Chilaquiles
Belgian Buttermilk Waffle Recipe
How to Make Baby Leek and Mushroom Quiche for Easter Brunch
How to Make Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
How to Make Bacon and Egg Brunch Cups
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...