A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stitch 'n Bitch Projects  (Read 137218 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game , debbie_stoller  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2003 06:33:51 PM »

I just want you guys to know that I read this  thread obsessively -- at least every day, sometimes more than once a day!

THE Debbie Stoller -- author of Stitch and Bitch and editor of BUST?! How flattering that you enjoy Craftster! Tongue Thanks for writing to say so!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
flamgirlant
just your average crafty broad

I may be a woman but I ain't no lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2003 06:46:25 PM »

I bought my sister the book for x-mas this year, and flipped through it for the first time after she opened it (hectic times of year!!).

Never thought I'd be able to knit - I'm not all that great at repetitive, tediou sort of crafts and I can't crochet to save my life!!!  BUT - I'm buying the book for myself because absolutely HAVE to make some of the stuff in that book.  And seeing everyone's finished projects here gives me the motivation to go out and try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

strangelittlemama
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2003 06:09:48 PM »

Well, you are all much more talented than I, but for my third knitting project, I learned to increase, and made the "kitschy kerchief". I used Fonty Soft Tweed in burgundy, but it seems more purple to me. A wine-y purple, I guess.
Anyway:

C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miss helen
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2003 07:11:00 PM »

*points up* Hello Catty!

This is my version of the sparkle hat, on the beautiful model, Monkey. I made it without sparkles, and with 2 strands of worsted held together, because it is hard to find anything chunkier than 8ply in Australia, and with it being winter and all, the range was paltry. I'm thinking of weaving in a contrasting yarn through the purls or attatching beads or something. I left off the sparkle just because I personally wasn't fond of sparkle and wool. Maybe I'm just cranky, or it could be because it is so hot and I cannot imagine wearing a knitted hat, but I don't really like it. I made it from a really soft german acrylic, and I think it would have been nicer to make it out of wool, but a blend like was suggested in the book would have given it a lovely sheen.  It was very quick to knit up and I did it with some homemade dpns! It might benefit from a gentle wet blocking...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flamgirlant
just your average crafty broad

I may be a woman but I ain't no lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2004 08:07:56 PM »

Well, I'm attempting my first knitting project ever tonight.  I scarf on #17 needles with some super chunky yarn I found at Walmart.  

I can't say the thing is pretty - I started with 18 loopy things (still don't have the lingo down yet).  About 6" into the thing it jumped to 22 - no idea how that happened.  And then up to 25, back down to 24.  Stayed there for a while and now I'm on 23.

Throughout the darn thing you can see dropped stitches or ones I picked up or just strange funky looking things, but you know what?  I love it!  It's my scarf (cum afghan by the time I'm done???) and it's not perfect - just like me!!  I'm so proud of it!  I have a ways to go yet, but I'm so happy with it - hiccups and all!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VaguelyVogue
Lauri Loves You!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2004 09:38:51 AM »

I made the umbilical cord hat in white for a not yet born baby of unknown gender.  The hat is really cute. I figure if the baby turns out to be a girl, I could sew little felt 'petals' around the end of the cord and make it a flower hat.  I don't have any similar ideas for a boy though.  Any thoughs?

maby some stars if it is a boy,
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2004 09:42:05 AM »

for a boy....hmmm...ok, not sure how to make this happen, but what if you could attach a little puppy and then have the cord be it's tail?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
grrl13
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2004 01:09:49 PM »

does anyone know a good online store where I can find needles, my lys' don't have the sizes I need.  I need size 15, 16" and 17, 24" , both circular. I'm about to start the cape mod poncho. If I cannot find these size needles, is there an alternative that i can use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluestar

twinkle twinkle

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2004 02:54:01 PM »

Well, I'm attempting my first knitting project ever tonight.  I scarf on #17 needles with some super chunky yarn I found at Walmart.  

I can't say the thing is pretty - I started with 18 loopy things (still don't have the lingo down yet).  About 6" into the thing it jumped to 22 - no idea how that happened.  And then up to 25, back down to 24.  Stayed there for a while and now I'm on 23.

I did that constantly with my first project, and it wasn't  until I started reading the SnB book that I realized that it was because I wasn't keeping my wool on the same side all the time, or something like that.  Anyways, I was jumping from 30 to 39, and back down and up.  But you can always join two stitches together so that you can get back to the number you started with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abricot
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2004 03:26:54 PM »

Like many here, I thought the wrist cuffs with a Pacman motif would just rock.. When a close guy friend was over flipping through my copy of SnB as soon as he spotted the wrist cuffs he exclaimed "You have to make me a pair of those with Pacman!!!!", that demand was all the motivation I needed to give Pacman a try...

and here is the pattern I made/used....

---

I can't help to praise this book though... The patterns, the instructions, etc. I really wish this would have been published a year ago when I was first learning to knit... maybe then I would have not spent over a month trying to teach myself how to cast on  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Julie Morgenstern
Ellen Marmur Reveals Her Motto
Stephen King Talks About N
Joanna Smith Rakoff Talks About A Fortunate Age
Meet Author Sean Covey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...