A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Copying patterns from library books?  (Read 975 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: September 13, 2005 04:00:53 PM »

Ok, so my local library has tons of fabulous knitting pattern books. They have vintage, new, traditional, funky, everything my little knitting heart desires. But, I have a question. I have used a couple patterns from the books but I am a really slow knitter so I renewed the book but I could renew the book multiple times and I wasnt sure if i was allowed to copy the pattern from the book. I ended up just returning it and then re-checking it out, which was a big pain the the patootie. I was just wondering, in the future, can i copy patterns out of library books??
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appriciated!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005 05:44:10 PM »

I'm a librarian, and would assume that you can't finish a sweater in the 3-week (or whatever) checkout period that you have the book (not to mention that we wouldn't want you writing notes in it!) It would fall under Fair Use to photocopy a pattern for your own private use. Just don't make copies for 20 of your closest friends, sell the pattern, or copy 10 other patterns from the same book Smiley

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005 05:52:09 PM »

There is a special provision in US copyright law under title 17 for this kind of use. For details regarding the limits of the provision, you should probably speak to someone in the reference section of your library (or ask a librarian on craftster!   
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005 07:23:17 PM »

Great! Thanks so much!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005 07:26:48 PM »

I'll just echo what everyone else said and say "Fair Use!"

everybody's got something to hide, except for me and my monkey
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005 07:45:57 PM »

...but thank you for being ethical enough to consider this issue.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005 08:41:39 PM »

There are two great  web-based guides to copyright for North American crafters:
this one is American

this one is Canadian

Sorry to any craftsters from other parts of the globe, I'm not familiar with any covering other territories.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005 09:47:13 PM »

"# However, if the book was checked out of the public library, you may make a photocopy for your own personal use. Under copyright law, public libraries and their patrons are allowed to make a limited number of photocopies per year.2 Libraries pay for this prerogative. If you are not sure, ask the librarian, who can give you specific information regarding that library's policy."

Thanks so much guys!
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005 11:43:29 AM »

I don't really know if this is true, but I was told that libraries pay more for their magazines and books to give there patrons the ability to copy stuff from their books. Now that is just what someone told me so it is probably wrong. lol. The knitting books at my library are pretty crappy, but I have copied tons of patterns form knitting and other crafting books and no one has never said that it was not okay. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Love of beauty is Taste. The creation of beauty is Art.                                     

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005 06:46:50 PM »

I don't pay a higher price for books or subscriptions for my library. However, many academic journals do charge institutional rates because of the expectation that it will be used by so many people. Copyright law does include a lot of exceptions for educational institutions.

I wish I knew more about this than I do. A few months ago, I attended an all-day copyright workshop thinking that I'd finally get it all straight. What I learned is that it is extremely complex and confusing! I think the only factoid that I really remember and am completely sure of is that recipes cannot be copyrighted. Everything else is just a blur..................

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
7-Year-Old Shows Off The Book He Wrote About Robots
Mein Kampf Is Still A Best Seller?
Simon Sinek on Working With a Book Editor to Refine Your Writing
Simon Sinek on Learning a New Way to Write a Book
Simon Sinek on Improving Writing Skills by Embracing the Unfamiliar
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...