A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,713
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Crabitat  (Read 4564 times)
Tags for this thread: hermit_crab  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lady dee
« on: September 13, 2005 12:02:25 PM »

This was the first project my husband and I worked on together.   Smiley  We have 3 hermit crabs, Itchy, Scratchy, and Handsome Pete.  And we wanted to make their home as comfy as we could so we hooked up an aquarium and this is what we came up with....

This was our first set up...

then because they love climbing so much, we built a second level using choya logs and a turtle dock.  The back is also made of wire that was an old hermie cage.  The side is coconut fiber that they can climb up.  The background was left over from our leopard geckos cage.  We cut a coconut in half to make a little hut and used a sea shell as a food dish and recycled an old fish tank plant (they love to climb thru it).  We mixed the ground (part rock/part sand) to give them different textures.  All in all, they are really active and seem to love their new environment.   Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dee of AnnDeeScraps (two best friends making fun stuff together)

Pics of stuff i've created: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladydee/sets/731194/
justxlove
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005 02:11:15 PM »

awww cute.
can you introduce them to us?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sure shes got everything ive got gadgets and gizmos  of plenty ive got whozits and whatzits galore you want thingamabobs ive got twenty but who cares no big deal i want more
chattyKathi
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005 06:49:36 PM »

how clever and how caring! are they alot of work? I used to think about getting a hermit crab.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
Solorn

Doesn't play well with others

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005 01:09:32 AM »

Lovely crabitat. Can I make a small suggestion though? The sand should be at least 4 inches deep so they can moult properly and you could do with a few more shells in there. One of my Indo's killed another crab because of a shell shortage and it was awful..now I have about 20 in there!

And what kinds of hermies do you have? Ecudorians really need a salt water pool as well as fresh water. Other types of crabbies love salt water too. They submerge in it and blow bubbles  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toesocksrock

They want you to take the rolls!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005 07:40:05 AM »

I love how much you love your hermies. Reminds me of the ones I used to have, back in the day... They were the greatest. Sniff.
Hermit crabs are so fantastic. I hate how they sell them at a little cart in the mall. It's not nice. Poor things. Eh.

xoxo
Maggi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel7383
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005 10:58:07 AM »

That is so cool! I wish I still had crabs...wait, that didn't come out right... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gingery
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005 10:00:21 AM »

this makes me want to go buy a few hermit crabs and build a neat crabitat.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady dee
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005 09:03:11 AM »

Lovely crabitat. Can I make a small suggestion though? The sand should be at least 4 inches deep so they can moult properly and you could do with a few more shells in there. One of my Indo's killed another crab because of a shell shortage and it was awful..now I have about 20 in there!

And what kinds of hermies do you have? Ecudorians really need a salt water pool as well as fresh water. Other types of crabbies love salt water too. They submerge in it and blow bubbles  Grin

Wow! 20?  That's great!!

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Our crabs just started digging alot more so we addes some more sand.  And we got some of that cypress mulch stuff for the second level for them to dig around in. 

We have a salt water pool in there now too & they luv it!  I'm not sure what kind of hermies we have.  I'll have to look in my book to see.  One is brown and the other two are red so i'm not sure if that means they are different kinds or not?  Huh 

awww cute.
can you introduce them to us?

as soon as i can get a decent pic of them, i'll introduce them to everyone.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dee of AnnDeeScraps (two best friends making fun stuff together)

Pics of stuff i've created: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladydee/sets/731194/
nekopug
Embracing all that is cute and cozy

Orion would like to help Santa with the cookies.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005 01:29:34 PM »

That is so cool! I wish I still had crabs...wait, that didn't come out right... Wink

LMAO!!! You're hilarious!

BTW, nice job on the crabitat lady dee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Fruit in Photoshop
How to Create Text Effects in Photoshop
How to Create a Poster Advert in Photoshop
How to Use Layers in Photoshop
How to Create Easy Logos
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...